Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 7:59:43 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,024
Applause Received: 1,464

Rob Demovsky wrote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- No matter where Bryan Bulaga plays, regardless of whether David Bakhtiari remains at left tackle and whoever ends up playing center, the Green Bay Packers have more stability on their offensive line than they did last offseason.

It was nearly a year ago that coach Mike McCarthy and offensive line coach James Campen revamped the line by changing positions for four of the five starters. Bulaga and Josh Sitton switched from right tackle and right guard, respectively, to the left side.

I am looking for and expecting a step up for the OL this year. I don;t see them needing to add anyone during the draft unless they want to get a stud C

UserPostedImage

Offline yooperfan  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 10:09:43 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 272

Having been a huge critic of the OL and coach over much of the last decade, I have a much better feeling about this group heading into 2014.
I think barring any serious injuries this bunch could be pretty damn good.
Not great, but much better.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 2/28/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 10:26:54 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 449
Applause Received: 271

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Having been a huge critic of the OL and coach over much of the last decade, I have a much better feeling about this group heading into 2014.
I think barring any serious injuries this bunch could be pretty damn good.
Not great, but much better.

Who exactly are you assuming starts?

IF Sherrod suddenly plays like a first round pick, and IF Bulaga plays like he did several years ago, then, yeah, I feel the same way, but those are a couple of huge IFs.

If we settle for Bakhtiari and/or Barclay at the tackles, I can't see being very positive.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline yooperfan  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 1:35:48 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Who exactly are you assuming starts?

IF Sherrod suddenly plays like a first round pick, and IF Bulaga plays like he did several years ago, then, yeah, I feel the same way, but those are a couple of huge IFs.

If we settle for Bakhtiari and/or Barclay at the tackles, I can't see being very positive.

I don't even factor in Sherrod, my hope for him is faint.
The OL without Bulaga played better in 13 than they did in 12 IMHO.
Bak and Barc got valuable playing time and experience under fire, they will improve.
IF Bulaga comes back and plays well that's another +.
I think EDS will be much better in 14 (if he doesn't walk).
The guards are good and should be better in 14.

Tex, this is just a gut feeling that I haven't had in years regarding the OL.
The problem, in my book, is still the coaching.
I think this group is poised to rise above that.

#5 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 2:52:19 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

I hope your gut is right. I can't see it happening, though, with your scenario. I have been very unimpressed with Bakhtiari every time I've seen him. Barkley IMO over-achieved last year compared to his ability. I can't see him getting better.

If that's all there is, we will probably see our superstar QB running for his life most of the time again.

I'm hoping - albeit without reason - for Sherrod to step up and for Bulaga to return to his old self.
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 8:23:43 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

I wonder what are the chances of Bulaga staying healthy... just seems like he's gotten hurt a couple years in a row now.

Also if Sherrod will become a very good back-up OT (or more).

And if they're going to resign D-Smith and if not, then who's starting at Center?
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 12:01:55 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 329
Applause Received: 443

I hope your gut is right. I can't see it happening, though, with your scenario. I have been very unimpressed with Bakhtiari every time I've seen him. Barkley IMO over-achieved last year compared to his ability. I can't see him getting better.

If that's all there is, we will probably see our superstar QB running for his life most of the time again.

I'm hoping - albeit without reason - for Sherrod to step up and for Bulaga to return to his old self.

O-Line...5 guys playing as ONE unit. That's why it is important to resign EDS.

Tackle jobs: Why didn't McCarthy just announce at the combine that Bryan Bulaga would play right tackle and David Bakhtiari would remain at left tackle next season?

"I need to have that conversation," McCarthy said, referring to a talk with Bulaga.

A key factor why the Packers appear set to keep Bakhtiari on the left side is his harmony with left guard Josh Sitton.

"I liked the relationship between David and Josh, and to me it's more about the combination over there," said McCarthy. "They work well together. They're both wired mentally.

"David's young and raw, and he's got a lot to learn. The game comes very easily to Josh now."

Bulaga suffered a season-ending knee injury Aug. 3, three months into a move from right to left tackle. Immediately, Bakhtiari was installed as his replacement.

"Frankly, Bryan getting hurt as early as he did probably helped him (Bakhtiari) because he had a whole four weeks to get ready for the season," said McCarthy.

"David's a young kid. I think there's a lot of up side there. He needs to get bigger. He needs to get stronger. I really like David."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/...72581.html#ixzz2ugxLta7m
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:16:24 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

So based on that, it looks like we are stuck with Bakhtiari. I'm not exactly pleased about that, but maybe they see more in him in practice than he showed in games.
Offline yooperfan  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:19:42 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

So based on that, it looks like we are stuck with Bakhtiari. I'm not exactly pleased about that, but maybe they see more in him in practice than he showed in games.

I'd say he acquitted himself quite well for a rookie on the hot side.
He's going to get bigger and better believe me.
Now Ted, get busy and sign EDS!

Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 11:14:53 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
I'd say he acquitted himself quite well for a rookie on the hot side.
He's going to get bigger and better believe me.
Now Ted, get busy and sign EDS!

He's already a hell of lot better run blocker than we've had at the position in a very long time. I figure Bulaga is back at RT this year and LT will come down to Bacteria beating out Sherrod. I seem to be one of the few around here that hasn't given up on the Big Boy with the ideal measurables.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 11:58:33 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
He's already a hell of lot better run blocker than we've had at the position in a very long time. I figure Bulaga is back at RT this year and LT will come down to Bacteria beating out Sherrod. I seem to be one of the few around here that hasn't given up on the Big Boy with the ideal measurables.

Bacteria and Sherrod will both get the chance to compete for the position. They've already stated Bulaga's going back to RT.

Now I'd like to see them upgrade from EDS. EDS did great this year, exceeded my expectations. But I think Tretter can push him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline warhawk  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 12:36:15 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 220

Your talking like the guy won't use last year as a stepping stone and is somehow stuck where he is talent wise. They say offensive linemen especially usually show big improvement year 2. Personally, I thought he did a good job considering he probably wouldn't have seen more than a minimal amount of snaps last season had Bulaga not gone down.
Like McCarthy said, he should come back into camp a little bigger, stronger, but most importantly much SMARTER now that he has seen everything defenses will come at him with.

As far as Bulaga goes how soon people forget. He was our best offensive lineman or no worse than second to Sitton. The injury he sustained, from what I recall, was one he was considering not having surgery done but ultimately opted to. The guy hasn't forgotten how to play football and would be an immediate upgrade to Barclay who fought hard but is nowhere near as talented as Bulaga.

Lastly, with Barclay and Sherrod in behind these guys I would say that is probably more talent then most teams have backing up starters. I will take Bakhitiari, Sitton, EDS, Lang, and Bulaga all day long especially since that group stays mostly intact with only an upgrade at RT.

I don't know why so many are down on the Oline anyhow. First it was the run blocking but I hadn't heard much about that lately. Next it's pass protection. Well, teams are coming after Rodgers. They have to or he will eat them alive. So yeah, there are pressure and sack stats but I wonder what percentage of the time are teams bringing extra pressure vs. teams without a QB like Arod? I'm sure the Vikings, without looking it up, had fewer sacks but then again teams didn't have to bring it to beat that team with a QB that sucks. A sack total doesn't tell the whole story.

The Oline had to be doing something right out there with Finley, Cobb, and Rodgers out for as long as they were and the offense to finish where it did. In fact thank God they played as well as they did or this last year would have been a complete disaster.

"The train is leaving the station."
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 3/1/2014(UTC), DakotaT on 3/1/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:03:30 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

I'm a lot more concerned our defensive line than offensive line. We have solid players throughout the O-line and the longer we keep this group in tact, the better they will get. Questions remain about LT and C and who's the future at both, but we have capable players in house and I expect very little change. That said, will EDS be resigned, and I would think yes.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 3/1/2014(UTC)
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 1:15:44 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Normally, I like to be a positive person. I HOPE all these positive things about our O-Line come true, BUT ......

I just saw TOO MANY TIMES Aaron Rodgers have literally no time in the pocket - run for his life to make any kind of a play. I saw TOO MANY TIMES Eddie Lacy, as good as he is, in expected run situations, trapped in the backfield with no chance to even get started. And it seemed to me that Bakhtiari was to blame more than any other O-Lineman. Tackle was the weakness, but I didn't see that much brute strength or ability to move people even up the middle. Sorry, but I just don't buy it that we have a quality O-Line. Whatever good has happened can be attributed to our all world QB succeeding even without much help from his line, as well as the element of surprise in the running game - with the threat of Rodgers also responsible for most of that.
Wade on 3/2/2014(UTC)
Offline beast  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:12:55 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

Are you ever pleased about last year? Tongue

Normally, I like to be a positive person. I HOPE all these positive things about our O-Line come true, BUT ......

I just saw TOO MANY TIMES Aaron Rodgers have literally no time in the pocket - run for his life to make any kind of a play. I saw TOO MANY TIMES Eddie Lacy, as good as he is, in expected run situations, trapped in the backfield with no chance to even get started. And it seemed to me that Bakhtiari was to blame more than any other O-Lineman. Tackle was the weakness, but I didn't see that much brute strength or ability to move people even up the middle. Sorry, but I just don't buy it that we have a quality O-Line. Whatever good has happened can be attributed to our all world QB succeeding even without much help from his line, as well as the element of surprise in the running game - with the threat of Rodgers also responsible for most of that.

Well you seem to watch the flashy positions more than the non-flashy and OL is CLEARLY the flashiest as it gets along the OL.

Also I agree with you about Bakhtiari lack of brute strength and ability to move guys, but even Bakhtiari has said he's more of a finesse guy (before the year) which again isn't a flashy or exciting style which gets you to like player.

As for as Bakhtiari is most to blame,

1) He's playing LT so he's going against some of the best pass rushers on the other team

2) Did you not see Barclay and Newhouse play? Barclay was horrible at times with a back match-up for him, Newhouse was horrible about all the time.

Bakhtiari's play CLEARLY wasn't special... but he was a rookie. There were 8 rookie OTs picked before Bakhtiari, including 5 in the first round and 3 in the first four overall picks (according to wiki). But I can't say I know any of them did even as well as Bakhtiari did.

He's a rookie... rookies USUALLY grow and improve.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Rss Feed