Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
8 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:24:58 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I've always wondered about this and why so many people are opposed to trading away from next year's draft. To me, it seems we have a window of opportunity, and we are in DIRE need of upgrades at so many positions. Why wait? The player you trade up for will be on your roster with a year's experience under his belt next year.

We have so many needs, that I am hoping Ted makes a change in his philosophy and goes all in this May in the draft. I would love for him to land a couple of top talents trading up like he did in 2009 with the additions of Raji and Matthews. That trade up helped us win a SB.

I'd gladly trade away our R1 for 2015 if it would help us eliminate our problems on D, which right now are vast.
Sponsor
Offline beast  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:02:07 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 250

I think because you normal lose value that way... like say a 1st round next year is worth a 2nd round this year ... while that might not be true that's normally how draft picks are traded.. get one round this year but have to give up your pick in the next higher round the next.

If there is a good player for it then you can surely think about trying it though, I think Ted Thompson has said he doesn't like trading draft picks from one year to another as he prefers to have it balance out more and you never know when one year will be really good and the next one won't be or vice versa
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:14:06 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,300
Applause Received: 575

Ted takes the long view, and I'm glad he does that. He does not mortgage the future, or we wouldn't have had a chance the last few years.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:38:32 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,297

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Ted takes the long view, and I'm glad he does that. He does not mortgage the future, or we wouldn't have had a chance the last few years.

Since first ballot hall of famers don't fall from the sky, how many more years do we have to win some more Super Bowls? Favre, Rodgers, ? do we have a long view, or a shorter window than we think?
UserPostedImage
Offline dhazer  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:44:11 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 191

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

I say we go the other way and trade our 1st this year for a 1st next year to a team like the jags or Browns :)

Look what the Rams got from trading away their 2nd overall pick 2 years ago for 3 1st round picks and now this year they have the 2nd overall pick from the redskins and then they have their own pick at #13.

UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 2/15/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:50:20 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Since first ballot hall of famers don't fall from the sky, how many more years do we have to win some more Super Bowls? Favre, Rodgers, ? do we have a long view, or a shorter window than we think?

Mike can do with Tolzien what he did with Rich Gannon. We'll see how he develops. Could be the next Hasselbeck.

At any rate, I'm not going to live in fear of the future. We developed the guy we've got now, nothing says we couldn't do it again. And btw, this team has won 12 world championships without him!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:59:07 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 388

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
I say we go the other way and trade our 1st this year for a 1st next year to a team like the jags or Browns :)

Look what the Rams got from trading away their 2nd overall pick 2 years ago for 3 1st round picks and now this year they have the 2nd overall pick from the redskins and then they have their own pick at #13.

And If I were the Rams I'd trade it away again. With so many teams needing a QB someone (vikings maybe) might be willing to swap places and throw in a few extra picks. Maybe and second and a 4th.

In our case we don't have the #2 pick we have the #23 pick. I doubt the Jags would trade their #1 next year, which will likely be a top 5 pick for the #23 pick this year. That would be just stupid. Which means maybe the Browns would do it.

I missed the smiley at the end of you post. I answered as if you were making a serious suggestion. That may not be the case, sorry.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline steveishere  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:28:12 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 805

I don't see an extra 2nd round pick being the solution to our problems and at an unknown cost. If some badass prospect for whatever reason falls to the second round that's one thing but going into the draft planning to trade a future 1st for some as yet unknown player... that's just silly.

Problem is you don't know what you are giving away, Rodgers could go out for the year week 1 and we end up with a top 5 pick next year. Not only do we lost the top 5 pick then we also lost it for some player that probably ended up being irrelevant for that season anyways. Not really worth it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
musccy on 2/17/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:53:20 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,747
Applause Received: 1,317

Earlier this week I was looking at Walter's site. They feel the 2015 draft will have more quality players than the 2014 draft.

They would lose 2 ways. Giving up a 1st for a 2nd or a 2nd for a 3rd. Who every they draft this year would need to be rated a round higher on their board than they take him. And the player they lose out on next year would be better than who ever is picked in that spot in the 2014 draft.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:02:59 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Earlier this week I was looking at Walter's site. They feel the 2015 draft will have more quality players than the 2014 draft.

They would lose 2 ways. Giving up a 1st for a 2nd or a 2nd for a 3rd. Who every they draft this year would need to be rated a round higher on their board than they take him. And the player they lose out on next year would be better than who ever is picked in that spot in the 2014 draft.

I could see Ted taking advantage of an arbitrage opportunity of that sort.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 10:19:37 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

While I don't agree with your assertion that we are in Dire needs at SO many positions. Sure we have needs, but there is NO team that doesn't have needs. It is impossible this day and age to have all 22 starting O and D positions set.

It all comes down to what are we trading and what are we getting in return. Are we trading to get a player from another team or trading it in the draft. I would be more willing to trade the pick for an already NFL player than higher draft pick. Do we get a Reggie White or a Tony Mandarich in return?

The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
musccy on 2/17/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 2/18/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 2:11:31 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
While I don't agree with your assertion that we are in Dire needs at SO many positions. Sure we have needs, but there is NO team that doesn't have needs. It is impossible this day and age to have all 22 starting O and D positions set.

It all comes down to what are we trading and what are we getting in return. Are we trading to get a player from another team or trading it in the draft. I would be more willing to trade the pick for an already NFL player than higher draft pick. Do we get a Reggie White or a Tony Mandarich in return?

I posed this based on the assumption that there was someone they really liked that they felt could immediately help this team, and that a proposed trade was of good value, not just arbitrarily tossing an R1 for an unknown quantity as someone alluded to.

I would trust Ted with a move like that, if he felt he could steal a great player away like he did with Matthews by jumping back into R1 for the second time, and I wouldn't have a problem with him trading away from next year if he chose to do that.
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 2:21:41 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Correct. Doing it just for the sake of doing it - trading away this year for next year - is a bad idea. However, keeping that option open - looking to grab somebody like Matthews if and only if there is solid hope for the guy, THAT would make sense.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Pack93z  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 2:39:20 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

In your opening post you talked about so many holes in the roster, so if you feel we have a ton of holes to fill with a small window, is trading away picks really prudent?

A couple of things..

1. With Rodgers in his prime, the window is open. God that hurts to say that about a QB. Anyway.. I feel he has more than 2-3 years left.. realistically probably 5-6.

So, I don't think we have a small window left.

2. I don't feel that we have a ton of holes on this team.. defense maybe, but overall team. Not so much.

On offense.. a physical center, another receiving TE (assuming Finley walks). Bulaga comes back.. so that give us at least 3 deep at tackle with 2 of those guys able to drop inside. So maybe another interior lineman for depth. JC Tretter had high review prior to the injury.

On defense.. we need to solve the safety issue first and foremost. Find some more pass rush assuming no one steps forward this season. I would really like to find a physical beast inside at backer. Defensive line.. I think Daniels progression should continue.. having a interior pass rush will help immensely.. so we need another depth piece or two. Can Worthy be a piece? Datone should make another step forward. And I think Boyd will develop as well.. Not as dire there as one might think.

Special teams is a in good shape.

Personally, I would rather Ted become aggressive in FA than to deal away future picks to move up in this draft. Now.. if we have a shot at a blue chipper that the staff believes can't miss or fits perfectly.. I am more open to it. But Ted isn't going to change is stripes on an ongoing basis.. if we are active in FA this year.. I don't expect us to be next.

So we are going to have needs again next season.. no sense dealing that away on a draft that I think is fairly deep at our needs. Additionally, I don't see a ton of can't miss blue chips in this draft.

We are a difference maker on defense away.. personally a guy with a motor and can lead. Chris Borland type..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 2/17/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 2/18/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 5:49:42 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
In your opening post you talked about so many holes in the roster, so if you feel we have a ton of holes to fill with a small window, is trading away picks really prudent?

A couple of things..

1. With Rodgers in his prime, the window is open. God that hurts to say that about a QB. Anyway.. I feel he has more than 2-3 years left.. realistically probably 5-6.

So, I don't think we have a small window left.

2. I don't feel that we have a ton of holes on this team.. defense maybe, but overall team. Not so much.

On offense.. a physical center, another receiving TE (assuming Finley walks). Bulaga comes back.. so that give us at least 3 deep at tackle with 2 of those guys able to drop inside. So maybe another interior lineman for depth. JC Tretter had high review prior to the injury.

On defense.. we need to solve the safety issue first and foremost. Find some more pass rush assuming no one steps forward this season. I would really like to find a physical beast inside at backer. Defensive line.. I think Daniels progression should continue.. having a interior pass rush will help immensely.. so we need another depth piece or two. Can Worthy be a piece? Datone should make another step forward. And I think Boyd will develop as well.. Not as dire there as one might think.

Special teams is a in good shape.

Personally, I would rather Ted become aggressive in FA than to deal away future picks to move up in this draft. Now.. if we have a shot at a blue chipper that the staff believes can't miss or fits perfectly.. I am more open to it. But Ted isn't going to change is stripes on an ongoing basis.. if we are active in FA this year.. I don't expect us to be next.

So we are going to have needs again next season.. no sense dealing that away on a draft that I think is fairly deep at our needs. Additionally, I don't see a ton of can't miss blue chips in this draft.

We are a difference maker on defense away.. personally a guy with a motor and can lead. Chris Borland type..

I'm with you on Borland. That's ILB, a great need for us to add an immediate starter. We need another immediate starter at S. If we choose not to re-sign Raji & Pick, we need another immediate starter at either NT or DE. Add to that, Perry is rarely available, followed closely behind in availability by Matthews, and we may need help at OLB. This is it, assuming Shields is re-signed, and Morgan Burnett stops making that giant sucking sound.

Worthy is just a body and has shown next to nothing. I kind of feel the same about Jolly when you take a hard look at his numbers.

So, yeah, I see a lot of serious holes. All on D. I guess we are seeing this differently Pack93z.
Rss Feed