Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 1:55:03 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 435

Seriously, what the hell is a "Packer People person/material"? I see this term thrown around a lot but what exactly does it mean? I get the gist that it generally means get guys who stay out of trouble off the field, but it seems like we got a team of choir boys. Did the bar get set on the 96 team with Reggie White or something? If so it's a bit ridiculous seeing is how they picked up Andre Rison and had Eugene Robinson on the team (I seriously doubt that one time he got nailed was the first time he tried picking up a hooker).

I mean, look at John "Blood" McNally

• Jumping across a narrow ledge six stories from the ground to gain access to a Los Angeles hotel room.

• Fleeing a towel fight with Packers end LaVern "Lavvie" Ralph Dilweg by climbing on top of a fast-moving train and crawling across car tops.

• After clinching the 1931 league championship, the Packers celebrated on the train ride back to Green Bay from New York with a party, which included an impromptu towel fight. During the towel fight McNally angered the towering end LaVern "Lavvie" Dilweg. Dilweg chased McNally through the railroad cars and trapped him on the rear platform, or so he thought. That's when McNally hoisted himself on top of the train. He then made his way across the top of the moving train until he reached the engine compartment where he spent the remainder of the trip.[6]

• Having to be rescued by teammates while attempting chin-ups on the stern's flagpole of the S.S. Mariposa while traveling across the Pacific Ocean for a barnstorming game in Hawaii.

• Riding the blinds between trains on the way to training camp to avoid having to pay a fare, which earned him the nickname "The Vagabond Halfback."

• Climbing down the face of a hotel in downtown Chicago to avoid curfew and recite poetry to the swooning women below.

• McNally was famous for perching on hotel ledges and the tops of bar tables as he sang the song Galway Bay.[8]

• Alan Robinson of the Associated Press recalled that Blood "once pulled his car directly into the path of the team train that he'd missed during a late night of wine, women and song. He wasn't even fined, or suspended—after all, he was the coach."

And what about Max McGee sneaking out before Super Bowl I and playing hung over with no sleep? Or the fact that McGee broke curfew so much Lombardi threatened to fine him $1000. To put that in perspective, Jerry Kramers contract dispute in 1967 before TC had him and the Packers haggling a salary between $24-26k.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 1:57:02 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,952
Applause Received: 2,170

Easy. www.PackerPeople.com is the PH beta website. Currently, I broke it over the weekend in my hotel and haven't had a second to fix it.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Mucky Tundra on 2/3/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 5:23:42 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,019
Applause Received: 1,460

Mucky it is more than players who stay out of trouble. It is hard working, blue collar people who don't have to be the center of the universe. Players that look to give back to others be it in GB, Milwaukee or their own hometowns.

Donald D. Jordy Nelson. Bart Starr. KUHN! even Kampman were/are Packer People.

excerpts

Quote:

Packer people.

It's a catchy and clever little phrase Mike McCarthy introduced on Jan. 12, 2006 - the day he was hired as Green Bay's 14th head coach.

"You have to create that stable structure . . . look for the right type of Packer people," McCarthy told the media that day. "Chemistry and character needs to be concentrated on at all times."

For the most part, Packer general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy have filled their roster with those types of people ever since.

But what does that term mean today?

"We don't live in a perfect world. Not everyone's going to be perfect. If you look at the guys that are suspended, we're all good people."

"Mistakes happen and obviously things will happen off the field," Bulaga said. "People are human. It's just a matter of learning from those mistakes and moving on.

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 5:30:44 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Mark Chmura was once considered Packer People - so much for Packer People.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 2/3/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 6:40:59 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,622
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Mucky it is more than players who stay out of trouble. It is hard working, blue collar people who don't have to be the center of the universe. Players that look to give back to others be it in GB, Milwaukee or their own hometowns.

Donald D. Jordy Nelson. Bart Starr. KUHN! even Kampman were/are Packer People.

excerpts

Eddie Lacy is packer people too. But he got taken out by a cheap shot from Brandon Merriweather.

Fuck that shit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 6:53:05 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Mark Chmura was once considered Packer People - so much for Packer People.

no kidding. I referred to him in the other thread. Don't assume for one minute being Packer People means that the person is perfect. That is absurd.

"Mistakes happen and obviously things will happen off the field," Bulaga said. "People are human. It's just a matter of learning from those mistakes and moving on."

UserPostedImage

Offline gbguy20  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 7:50:18 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 206
Applause Received: 285

read the book, God Must Be a Packers Fan.
call me Dan
Offline DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 8:31:22 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
read the book, God Must Be a Packers Fan.

Was there a sequel to that book called, "God hates the Minnesota Vikings"?
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:18:14 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Mucky Tundra,

I do think it is a dumb, foolish notion, but I do think the idea exists firmly in Ted's mind. I can't blame him for not wanting to deal with a player who is more outrageous than others. Some of the circus routines we've witnessed over the years bug the hell out of me too.

But, I do believe the pendulum may have swung too far the other way. And if so, is it keeping us from becoming a tougher, more physical team?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:34:37 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

I don't believe "Packer People" has ever been outlined, defined or anything of the sort. I believe it was directly asked once and Mark Murphy, Ted Thompson or Mike McCarty, whomever was asked simply said something like "I think its obvious".

As for www.PackerPeople.com its unbroken, for now. :)
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:43:13 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I don't believe "Packer People" has ever been outlined, defined or anything of the sort. I believe it was directly asked once and Mark Murphy, Ted Thompson or Mike McCarty, whomever was asked simply said something like "I think its obvious".

As for www.PackerPeople.com its unbroken, for now. :)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hilarious!
Offline DoddPower  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:52:10 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 509

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
no kidding. I referred to him in the other thread. Don't assume for one minute being Packer People means that the person is perfect. That is absurd.

"Mistakes happen and obviously things will happen off the field," Bulaga said. "People are human. It's just a matter of learning from those mistakes and moving on."

Yeah, and obviously there are exceptions to everything. An exception doesn't and shouldn't define a norm.

wpr on 2/6/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 8:01:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

btw, for those millions and millions of fans who are curious ...

We own the PackerPeople.com domain for the next two years.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 2/10/2014(UTC), wpr on 2/10/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 2/10/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 10:25:08 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

All right!

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed