Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:01:50 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

Packers wrote:
GREEN BAY—Friday will once again be decision day for the Packers on Aaron Rodgers, but judging from the quarterback’s tone of voice in a brief media session at his locker on Thursday, Rodgers isn’t expecting the decision to go his way.

Asked if he has a sense whether or not he’ll receive medical clearance to play on Sunday against Pittsburgh, Rodgers answered in rather emotionless and subdued fashion, “I have a good sense of what’s going to happen, yes.”

It was not said in a hopeful manner.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline dhazer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:22:41 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 191

I don't trust this medical staff at all, I would love to know why they are holding him out. This bullshit of we don't want to lose him for the off season, really now really I can't believe I heard that today. Lets throw the season away just so Rodgers is healthy for his off season. Lets see Cobb breaks his leg and is back after 9 weeks but yet a collarbone is going to take 7 weeks and kill our Playoff hopes. I guess Ted Thompson is trying to get some trade bait out of Flynn. If we lose this week why even bring Rodgers back against the Bears?
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 12/19/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:39:34 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

I said essentially the same thing a couple of days ago.

In the old days, there was none of this medical clearance crap. If the guy could move around and do the job and the team needed him, he played - period. It's bad enough when it's a concussion, and they have some God damned lawsuit to worry about, but a collarbone?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:42:13 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,995

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
I guess Ted Thompson is trying to get some trade bait out of Flynn. If we lose this week why even bring Rodgers back against the Bears?

Fact that Matt Flynn is a free agent after this season pretty much nullifies your entire theory.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
rabidgopher04 on 12/19/2013(UTC)
Offline mi_keys  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:50:41 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 199
Applause Received: 340

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Fact that Matt Flynn is a free agent after this season pretty much nullifies your entire theory.

Nevermind that it would be hard for Flynn's stock to rise significantly higher than it is post largest comeback in Packer history with just one or two more games.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Zero2Cool on 12/19/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:55:31 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

How's this?

Aaron Rodgers wrote:
It’s tough to be so close last week and not be able to play, But we’re right in this thing, Matt is playing well, and I’m back on the practice field, so the frustration level is going down.

So close last week ... how can that not be eliminated now with the Packers playoff hopes in their own hands? Oh yeah, playoff position holds no ground on the decision.

Saving Rodgers for "next" year makes it seem like playoff opportunities are taken for granted by the organization.

UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:23:53 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

#1. In the "old days", there were not $120mil players.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but NFL franchises have to protect these guys.
One or two bad decisions can set a franchise back 5 years.

Maybe The Packers are gambling on Matt Flynn, one more week, maybe not, I guess we will all find out tomorrow when The Official announcement is made.

I'm not very patient, but what else it there to do but wait?

Whatever happens tomorrow, there will be a game on Sunday.

That's about the only thing I am positive about at this moment.

Hopefully if it is Flynn who plays Sunday, the offense can have a little success in the 1st half.

This falling behind by 2 or 3 scores (or 4), then coming back to win, although entertaining, it is getting a little stressful.

Big Grin

“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline sschind  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:40:53 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 388

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
I don't trust this medical staff at all, I would love to know why they are holding him out. This bullshit of we don't want to lose him for the off season, really now really I can't believe I heard that today. Lets throw the season away just so Rodgers is healthy for his off season. Lets see Cobb breaks his leg and is back after 9 weeks but yet a collarbone is going to take 7 weeks and kill our Playoff hopes. I guess Ted Thompson is trying to get some trade bait out of Flynn. If we lose this week why even bring Rodgers back against the Bears?

I'm not sure what you heard today but I don't think the medical staff gives a shit about losing him for the off season or anything other than they don't think the injury is healed enough for him to play. What could they possibly have to gain by not clearing him unless you are one of the conspiracy freaks that thinks they are in on some bigger plot to keep the Packers out of the playoffs. Or perhaps you think McCarthy or maybe Thompson or someone is secretly instructing the doctors not to clear him (which could be a possibility) In that case they would be following their boss's instructions.

There are a lot of people, some medically trained and some not who have always felt that Rodgers was done for the season. These are people who had no inside information or other first hand knowledge of the injury. They are basing their opinions on the nature of the the injury that is a fractured collarbone. If they can have this opinion is is so much of a stretch to think that maybe, just maybe, the injury is not healed enough to allow him to play.

I am sure they are tired of Rodgers and perhaps McCarthy and maybe even Thompson and who know who else that are clamoring for them to clear him. If they were going be considered untrustworthy they would cave to the pressure rather than stand up to it.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:41:39 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

You guys HAVE to click the link above in the first post and watch the video of Aaron Rodgers. He's deflecting all questions to McCarthy. When asked what needs to be seen medically for him to get clearance via medical, ask McCarthy. And then McCarthy says Rodgers looks ready to play.

I think this is all setting up as a poker face. Make Steelers believe Rodgers will be out there and then trot out Flynn for the win.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan on 12/19/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:44:05 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 100
Applause Received: 388

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
Nevermind that it would be hard for Flynn's stock to rise significantly higher than it is post largest comeback in Packer history with just one or two more games.

Yeah, for his stock to rise he would probably have to throw for 460 yards and 6 TDs against a divisional opponent in the last game of the season and we all know that is impossi...hey now there's an idea.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
mi_keys on 12/19/2013(UTC)
Offline StoicFire  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:55:19 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Applause Given: 28
Applause Received: 49

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
You guys HAVE to click the link above in the first post and watch the video of Aaron Rodgers. He's deflecting all questions to McCarthy. When asked what needs to be seen medically for him to get clearance via medical, ask McCarthy. And then McCarthy says Rodgers looks ready to play.

I think this is all setting up as a poker face. Make Steelers believe Rodgers will be out there and then trot out Flynn for the win.

That video was pretty great. Three straight answers of "that's a Mike McCarthy question". I guess I wouldn't know how to respond to the ridiculously repetitive questions either though.

I hope that no one was surprised by the fact that this whole situation wasn't resolved yesterday. I think even if they knew already what the decision was going to be, they still would've waited until the last possible moment in order to keep the Steelers guessing. It may be a long shot, but I really hope he gets cleared and plays Sunday.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline mi_keys  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:55:32 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 199
Applause Received: 340

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, for his stock to rise he would probably have to throw for 460 yards and 6 TDs against a divisional opponent in the last game of the season and we all know that is impossi...hey now there's an idea.

Lightning does strike twice on occassion!
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline porky88  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:05:12 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 179
Applause Received: 335

I'm not going to pretend to know how Aaron Rodgers' collarbone is healing. Everybody is trying to play doctor here. You can't do that. Ted Thompson is a very, very cautious man. It’s not surprising that he’d want a cautious doctor making medical decisions.

It’s not the olden days anymore. You can't compare the two. All those tough, older players are now suing the NFL for not looking out for their best interests. The NFL does not want any players 20 or 30 years from now to drop lawsuits on them. The Packers are following a precedent they’ve set along time ago. Are they rushing back Randall Cobb? Have they ever rushed back any player? This is business as usual. It’s only a bigger deal because it’s Aaron Rodgers and he means so much more to the franchise.
Offline RaiderPride  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:12:45 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 99
Applause Received: 188

No retired player has ever committed suicide from lingering effects of multiple broken collar bones.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline porky88  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:33:20 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 179
Applause Received: 335

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post
No retired player has ever committed suicide from lingering effects of multiple broken collar bones.

If you can sue over your head, you can sue over any bone in your body so long as you can prove a team mishandled your treatment. Of course, Rodgers isn’t going to sue anyone. I know that. You know that. The Packers know that. They’re setting a precedent for when a injury occurs to maybe a backup running back in 2015.

Yes, the Packers are more conservative than most teams, but that's just the nature of the current regime. Some praise them for their cautious approach to free agency. Some praise them for their cautious approach in handling injuries to Jermichael Finley and Nick Collins. Where is the Randall Cobb backlash? They take their sweet time clearing everybody. This case is just one of many in their opinion. Personally, I don't like it. I do believe in looking at things on a case-by-case basis, but it doesn’t surprise me to see Green Bay operating in this fashion.
Rss Feed