Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:31:25 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 112

Not pinning this loss on Tolzien, but I just think it couldn't hurt to see if Flynn can give us a spark.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:32:14 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 653

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
Not pinning this loss on Tolzien, but I just think it couldn't hurt to see if Flynn can give us a spark.

No way. Tolzien is the man.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:53:26 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 250
Applause Received: 313

I think Mike McCarthy will take a look at Flynn in practice but I'm guessing Mike McCarthy will stick with Tolzien.

Though I do have to wonder if Flynn might of won that game... I mean Tolzien did well other than two rookie type mistakes and a great play by the DE. Flynn might not of made those mistakes. But is Flynn 100% and is he the same old Flynn? If so he might get a look this week, if not he's probably not going to.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:03:40 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Aaron Rodgers will be starting.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 11/24/2013(UTC)
Offline packerfanoutwest  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:10:46 PM(UTC)
packerfanoutwest

Applause Received: 18

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post

Take that clipboard out of McCarthy's hand and let a real play caller, call the game. This loss is on the HC. He is a frickin idiot. Time and time again, when the running game is working, he decides to throw the ball when close to the endzone. Today was just the opposite, the running game was not working so he starts to throw the ball and it was working, then he gives it back to the running game which failed big time

As far as your thought about putting in Flynn is asinine.Tolzien did great. McCrappy is the one who put the pressure on Tolzien

And where is any emotion on this team. They all look like deer in the headlights

Message modified by user Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:22:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nerdmann on 11/17/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:23:13 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest Go to Quoted Post
Take that clipboard out of McCarthy's hand and let a real play caller, call the game. This loss is on the HC. He is a frickin idiot. Time and time again, when the running game is working, he decides to throw the ball when close to the endzone. Today was just the opposite, the running game was not working so he starts to throw the ball and it was working, then he gives it back to the running game which failed big time

As far as your thought about putting in Flynn is asinine.Tolzien did great. McCrappy is the one who put the pressure on Tolzien

And where is any emotion on this team. They all look like deer in the headlights

When Pierre Paul publicly states in the press that he knew what play was coming and that's how he got the pick six, that should tell you all you need to know.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT on 11/17/2013(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:58:36 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,045
Applause Received: 514

Originally Posted by: packerfanoutwest Go to Quoted Post
Tolzien did great.

If that's your definition of "great," you have very low standards. Yes, Tolzien made some nice throws, but he also made some horrible decisions, which essentially made him break even, at best. Moving the ball well doesn't mean much if you can't capitalize and score touch downs. It's certainly not all on Tolzien by any means, but he has to play MUCH better if the Packers are to ever win a game with him as the quarterback. Especially since the defense sucks.

thanks Post received 2 applause.
beast on 11/17/2013(UTC), TheKanataThrilla on 11/18/2013(UTC)
Offline dyeah_gb  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:25:16 PM(UTC)
dyeah_gb

Applause Given: 24
Applause Received: 24

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
If that's your definition of "great," you have very low standards. Yes, Tolzien made some nice throws, but he also made some horrible decisions, which essentially made him break even, at best. Moving the ball well doesn't mean much if you can't capitalize and score touch downs. It's certainly not all on Tolzien by any means, but he has to play MUCH better if the Packers are to ever win a game with him as the quarterback. Especially since the defense sucks.

Agreed. I would not say that Tolzien sucked but there were definite flaws with his execution. Still interested to see him grow (ideally as a backup).
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Offline schroeder84  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:06:33 PM(UTC)
schroeder84

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 8

I don't know enough about Flynn's current condition to comment on his ability to start. Tolzien was OK - not great, but showed signs he could be a decent backup. Personally I'm not ready to trash the guy yet since he had some very good moments, as well as some bad moments, but he has so very little experience - no training camp, running the scout offense until 2 weeks ago.

I was very surprised to see how many runs were attempted in the red zone when they weren't working anywhere else. I didn't see that as a way to set Tolzien and the team up for success in scoring TDs. It's was kinda brutal to watch actually.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:21:28 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb Go to Quoted Post
Agreed. I would not say that Tolzien sucked but there were definite flaws with his execution. Still interested to see him grow (ideally as a backup).

I like him more than Harrell or Coleman. He's pretty much them combined. Full offseason with McCarthy and he could be pretty damn good. Played 2 games and ending up with 1 TD 5 INT is not good. But he gives me hope for a backup next year. Think his problem is he is a super gun slinger. Forces to many passes. He needs to learn if it's not there don't throw it. Obviously we were down all game, but he needs to be aware of these things. One thing Wallace did to well (except Peppers pick) was take care of the ball for the most part.
Offline nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:36:26 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
I like him more than Harrell or Coleman. He's pretty much them combined. Full offseason with McCarthy and he could be pretty damn good. Played 2 games and ending up with 1 TD 5 INT is not good. But he gives me hope for a backup next year. Think his problem is he is a super gun slinger. Forces to many passes. He needs to learn if it's not there don't throw it. Obviously we were down all game, but he needs to be aware of these things. One thing Wallace did to well (except Peppers pick) was take care of the ball for the most part.

I thought the problem with him was that they were being overly conservative until it was way too late. Bamming Lacy into the line for 1.8 per carry all day was only serving to put Tolzien into repeated third and long situation.

When they unleashed Tolzien down the field, he looked quite good imo. The JPP INT was one of those idiotic, annoying short passes.

With an offseason "Mike McCarthy QB School" under his belt, the sky's the limit. Doesn't seem real agile as far as scrambling, but he can move around. His arm is stronger than billed. He's apparently willing to work hard and study. And he also put this loss all on his own shoulders after the game, so he's apparently a stand up dude.
Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:39:34 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Tolzien is fine for another game until Rodgers is healthy and for the rest of the year. But I fully expect to have Flynn continue to be the backup going into next season. It is the perfect job for him ala Doug Pederson back in Favre's day.
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:48:08 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 250
Applause Received: 313

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I thought the problem with him was that they were being overly conservative until it was way too late. Bamming Lacy into the line for 1.8 per carry all day was only serving to put Tolzien into repeated third and long situation.

When they unleashed Tolzien down the field, he looked quite good imo. The JPP INT was one of those idiotic, annoying short passes.

With an offseason "Mike McCarthy QB School" under his belt, the sky's the limit. Doesn't seem real agile as far as scrambling, but he can move around. His arm is stronger than billed. He's apparently willing to work hard and study. And he also put this loss all on his own shoulders after the game, so he's apparently a stand up dude.

Getting some QB schooling could do a lot for him, then again it's not like he's a rookie, he's already got a couple years of NFL QB schooling from the 49ers who have a pretty good O coach themselves (and might be the reason he looks as good as he does now). So Mike McCarthy schooling could do a lot for him, or might do very little. But I agree with others than say he's better than the back-ups we started the year with.

Also it seemed like Tolzien was best throwing the deep ball and not having read the field as much. I wonder if the Packers might be able to spread the field and play a scheme like the Eagles have at times.

Meaning spread the field and run a lot of deep routes. The OL would have to hold up enough for that, but if they get a defense on their heels just a bit with it, then that should open up the running game which IF they get that going again should open up the deep passes even more. High risk, high reward, but it makes the field more simple which can help a QB trying to read the field if they have enough time.

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline DoddPower  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:16:32 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,045
Applause Received: 514

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
The JPP INT was one of those idiotic, annoying short passes.

I thought you loved those "high percentage" passes?
Offline steveishere  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:29:14 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Tolzien made some decent throws but the loss is on him more than any other individual. He did not have a good overall game at all. As a back up QB you have to protect the ball. It doesn't matter how many good plays he made when his mistakes were so crucial they didn't even give the team a chance.
Rss Feed