Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:18:45 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

Weston Hodkiewicz wrote:
The decibel level in Sam Shields’ voice rarely flickers above a muttered, hushed tone.

The Green Bay Packers cornerback doesn’t possess the same philosophical insights as teammate Tramon Williams or the diplomatic resolve of a Charles Woodson. But inside a meeting room, he’s as respected as anyone on the roster.

Taking a quick scan of the 24-year-old, you wouldn’t know he usually tests higher than anyone in cornerback coach Joe Whitt’s classroom or that he took rookies and first-year players like Micah Hyde and James Nixon under his wing in camp.

On the field, whatever jitters he felt during a turbulent sophomore season in 2011 appear to be a thing of the past.

Right now, Shields has the look of a soon-to-be unrestricted free agent reaching the peak of his powers and playing with a carefree attitude that could garner him the millions he never saw as an undrafted free agent out of Miami in 2010.

“I think he’s done an excellent job,” Whitt said. “He’s not a very talkative young man, but he’s leading by the tempo that he plays with. His tests are the best in the room. He leads by the way he takes notes and showing them, ‘This is the way you take notes.’ In every aspect of it, he doesn’t really talk a lot, but I’ve been pleased with where he is.”

The Packers gave a green light this offseason to allowing Shields and Williams to man their own sides of the field in coverage rather than utilizing Williams as a shutdown cornerback designated to follow around the opposing team’s best receiver.

Whitt cautioned there would be some exceptions as the season wore on and Sunday’s game against Cincinnati was one of them. However, it was Shields — not Williams — who was following stud receiver A.J. Green’s every move.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Dulak  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:08:02 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 98

ya funny how good shields is at times - when they first got him I was quite iffy about him; a bit undersized and seemed a bit young etc ... but he at times appears better then everyone else ...
Be a nice addition once we get our full crew back out there instead of nursing hamstrings that are stretched :)
Online hardrocker950  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:22:49 AM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 63
Applause Received: 58

Originally Posted by: Dulak Go to Quoted Post
ya funny how good shields is at times - when they first got him I was quite iffy about him; a bit undersized and seemed a bit young etc ... but he at times appears better then everyone else ...
Be a nice addition once we get our full crew back out there instead of nursing hamstrings that are stretched :)

I am looking forward to seeing them back. We are giving up far too many yards in the air - I can only see us getting better in coverage bar any further setbacks
*knock on wood*
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Rss Feed