Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DarkaneRules  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 5:51:41 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 182
Applause Received: 311

If all the reports are true, and there should be little doubt that they are, Brian Bulaga has suffered his third injury in three years, two of which being very serious. He has not been a reliable player for the Packers organization.

And yet there we were at the beginning of the off-season firmly planting Bulaga in that left tackle spot, while the only open competition on the starting line was to be on the right side.

With this injury, a brand new competition has opened up on the left side with little available veteran presence to back him up. With Aaron Rodgers being our largest team commodity, the lack of back up plan has sometimes appeared foolish in nature.

What makes this injury more frustrating is that Bulaga was having a fantastic camp up to this point. Unfortunately, he continues to prove to the team that he is not a reliable player.

A question to fans is this: Who do you think becomes the front runner to take his spot during training camp, and what will this mean to Aaron's playing time during pre-season games?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Sponsor
Offline steveishere  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 5:58:48 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 42
Applause Received: 855

I wouldn't say there was absolutely no back up plan. They've got a guy on the roster who has 30+ starts at that position. Newhouse is the obvious front runner at that spot and barring an unlikely Sherrod comeback this offseason I don't think he'll have much competition for it.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 6:09:49 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Most teams are always in re-building phase, and good teams like us, draft and develop, so I am okay with that to an extent. They brought in Saturday as an option at center last season to provide a qualified veteran presence at that position.

They always say the most important position is Left Tackle on the o-line as it protects the QB's blindside. With Sherrod's injury situation, I do not believe this team considered Bulaga anything but a sure thing this off-season.

This article was to offer the idea that given his injury history, perhaps that was a bit foolish.
Offline sschind  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 7:02:48 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 110
Applause Received: 407

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
If all the reports are true, and there should be little doubt that they are, Brian Bulaga has suffered his third injury in three years, two of which being very serious. He has not been a reliable player for the Packers organization.

And yet there we were at the beginning of the off-season firmly planting Bulaga in that left tackle spot, while the only open competition on the starting line was to be on the right side.

With this injury, a brand new competition has opened up on the left side with little available veteran presence to back him up. With Aaron Rodgers being our largest team commodity, the lack of back up plan has sometimes appeared foolish in nature.

What makes this injury more frustrating is that Bulaga was having a fantastic camp up to this point. Unfortunately, he continues to prove to the team that he is not a reliable player.

A question to fans is this: Who do you think becomes the front runner to take his spot during training camp, and what will this mean to Aaron's playing time during pre-season games?

I'm not sure what you mean by open competition. Bulaga was moved to the left side and because everyone knew he was going to play this position it made no sense to have an open competition. I'm sure that there were other linemen who worked with the second team at those positions just in case of an injury (teams do that for every position) They have a backup plan. I'm not sure what it is and I'm not sure if it will work but you make it sound as if they expected Bulaga to be able to take every snap so they never bothered to have any one else play the position.

I do understand the injury prone thing and I do agree that Bulaga might warrant that label but I'm not sure that means they should have done things much differently. About the only thing they could have done differently was to bring a a veteran LT as a backup but that is not the Packers style. They do have other players practicing the position but you have to remember that Bulaga was playing there for the first time in a while and he needed as many reps as he could get to work himself back into it as well. IMO when you've made the decision to move a guy you need to give him the snaps he needs to make the move work and not slow his development by making him split time with someone else. I could see if Bulaga had always been their LT and they wanted to play it safe with him but he was learning, or relearning as well.

As for the front runner for his replacement I think it will be someone in house. They may sign another lineman to compete but I doubt they will sign someone to come in and be the starter. I don't think there is anyone out there who could come in and automatically be the starter over the guys they have.

I guess I am hoping that Bakhtiari can step up since Newhouse is getting a lot of work at right guard no sense on moving everyone around...again.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/5/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 8/5/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 7:06:49 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure what you mean by open competition. Bulaga was moved to the left side and because everyone knew he was going to play this position it made no sense to have an open competition. I'm sure that there were other linemen who worked with the second team at those positions just in case of an injury (teams do that for every position) They have a backup plan. I'm not sure what it is and I'm not sure if it will work but you make it sound as if they expected Bulaga to be able to take every snap so they never bothered to have any one else play the position.

It meant that he was the projected starter and therefore there was no competition for his starting spot.

Offline DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 7:58:14 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

The team cancelled practice and media availability today. You KNOW they are not taking this lightly at all now.
Offline Wade  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 8:15:55 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 638
Applause Received: 655

The team cancelled practice and media availability today. You KNOW they are not taking this lightly at all now.

Okay, I understand telling the media to take a day off. But taking an unplanned day off from practice in training camp? Isn't that kind of weird?

If a key player goes down, wouldn't you want more time working with the other guys rather than less? I mean, can't the coaches adjust on the fly?

Even Campen.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 8:23:38 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,863
Applause Received: 2,023

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Okay, I understand telling the media to take a day off. But taking an unplanned day off from practice in training camp? Isn't that kind of weird?

If a key player goes down, wouldn't you want more time working with the other guys rather than less? I mean, can't the coaches adjust on the fly?

Even Campen.

probably flipping OL back

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline DarkaneRules  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 8:26:58 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Yeah this is definitely like a coach day: A behind closed doors round up of higher ups and the offensive coaching staff to decide what to do given the news they have received internally.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 1:36:59 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,353
Applause Received: 594

Yeah, that's f*cked up.

It's like admitting, NOW WE'RE SCREWED UNLESS WE COME UP WITH SOMETHING.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline sschind  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 1:39:35 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 110
Applause Received: 407

It meant that he was the projected starter and therefore there was no competition for his starting spot.

Right, and I don't think there should have been. You don't necessarily have competition for a projected starter. I'm not sure what they could have done differently. Perhaps I just misread your post and you were simply lamenting the fact that this turned out to be the case. I read it as you were upset that it didn't look like they had taken Bulaga's apparent penchant for injury into account and done something more to bolster the LT backup spot. If that is the case you may be right but I still don't know what else they could have done.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DarkaneRules on 8/5/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 4:32:34 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

TT spent 2 number ones on players they felt could play LT, plus he picked up Newhouse, Barclay, and now Bakhtiara. He can't spend half of each draft on tackles or look into crystal ball to see what position will get hit with injuries. It's just really bad luck to have 2 top draft picks at one position sitting out with injuries. Not a hell of a lot you can do but go forward as best you can. Plus last year we had our #1 out, pretty soon we should have some good karma come our way. At least that what I'm hoping for.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline porky88  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 6:23:01 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 181
Applause Received: 346

Their plan is Newhouse and Bakhtiari. I’m encouraged by the latter. The more I see of him, the more I believe he could be a key cog for years to come. I’ve made my feelings known about Marshall Newhouse. He has until November to play better. If not, there’s no reason why they won’t give Don Barclay or even Derek Sherrod a crack at playing. Perhaps we have not heard the last of Sherrod this season.
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2013 7:35:51 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,353
Applause Received: 594

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
Their plan is Newhouse and Bakhtiari. I’m encouraged by the latter. The more I see of him, the more I believe he could be a key cog for years to come. I’ve made my feelings known about Marshall Newhouse. He has until November to play better. If not, there’s no reason why they won’t give Don Barclay or even Derek Sherrod a crack at playing. Perhaps we have not heard the last of Sherrod this season.

LOL, let's not write off Datko either. I still think if they plug him in at his regular position, he'll get his feet under him.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed