You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 7:52:06 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

Jason Wilde wrote:
GREEN BAY-- Sean Richardson is keeping the faith. He knows Nick Collins' story, and he's staying optimistic that he won't meet the same football fate.

The Green Bay Packers second-year safety hasn't played since suffering a neck injury last season, and he opened training camp on the active/physically unable to perform list. He could be cleared for action soon, or he could end up waiting and waiting and waiting - and then having the Packers decide they're not comfortable putting him back on the field.

That's what happened to Collins, who wanted to continue his career after a September 2011 neck injury but never was cleared and eventually had to be released.

Edited by moderator Friday, July 26, 2013 8:26:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 9:11:24 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,108
Applause Received: 474

Does he know the Terrence Murphy story?

No way this staff lets him play again.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online mi_keys  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 10:38:03 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 142
Applause Received: 224

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

Murphy had spinal stenosis. I've not heard anything suggesting Richardson does. If that's wrong, by all means point it out. Otherwise, it sounds like a lazy comparison. Doesn't mean Richardson will be back, but the two are not the same from everything I've read.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 10:45:11 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,108
Applause Received: 474

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
Murphy had spinal stenosis. I've not heard anything suggesting Richardson does. If that's wrong, by all means point it out. Otherwise, it sounds like a lazy comparison. Doesn't mean Richardson will be back, but the two are not the same from everything I've read.

And Don Beebe had concussions.

This staff wouldn't let any of these guys play. Hell they wouldn't even let Dez Bishop play.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online mi_keys  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2013 11:55:04 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 142
Applause Received: 224

And Don Beebe had concussions.

This staff wouldn't let any of these guys play. Hell they wouldn't even let Dez Bishop play.

And how is that a logical sequence?

Don Beebe: a player that hasn't played for Green Bay since the late 90s; and concussions: an injury that has clearly sidelined our current quarterback.

As for Bishop, the reports I read claimed we wouldn't let him play for the money we were paying him. The risk of re-injury didn't justify paying him that salary. I'm looking for the sources to back this up but I had a series of texts with my younger brother in which I've saved the statistics. From 1990 to 2008, 10 players had the same injury as Bishop (as far as same muscle tear and same general severity). One never returned and four only returned for a single game. While that is not a sample size that allows for statistically significant conclusions, those numbers do not look good (assuming they are accurate).

Richardson was never carted off like Murphy or Collins (incidentally, weren't both against the Panthers in Carolina?). His prognosis was good after the surgery. We'll see. We have a cautious staff, but one player with a different injury and a different set of circumstances does not dictate what the end result with Richardson will be.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline steveishere  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:56:33 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 600

Why just "this staff"? It isn't like any other staff went on to let Murphy, Thompson, or Collins play.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
porky88 on 7/27/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:48:45 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I don't like to be negative but Packer history says his odds of playing are extremely low. That's really a shame as I think Richardson would have been another diamond in the rough, JMHO.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline DoddPower  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:20:12 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Total Packers wrote:
Sean Richardson's Career May Be Over.

Second-year safety Sean Richardson was put on the physically unable to perform list when the Green Bay Packers opened training camp. When he comes off it his football career might be over.

Richardson suffered a neck injury in November. He had cervical fusion surgery in January. That’s the same operation that Nick Collins had and the Packers ended up releasing him because they weren’t comfortable putting him on the football field.

The rest of the article is on the site. I don't see any way this guy plays again, at least with the Packers.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:05:58 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 64
Applause Received: 201

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
The rest of the article is on the site. I don't see any way this guy plays again, at least with the Packers.

Here are some interesting parts of an article I found on the procedure being performed on NFL players.

CDH treatment success in the NFL

Nearly 3 out of 4 (72 percent) of NFL players who were treated surgically for CDH returned to play and continued to play in an average of 29.3 games over a 2.8-year period after surgery. In contrast, less than half (46 percent) of those treated nonsurgically returned to play; those who did played an average of 14.7 games over a 1.5-year period before retiring.

None of the players who returned to the field sustained a spinal cord injury after surgery, noted Dr. Hsu, although 5.3 percent did have a second surgical procedure in the cervical spine, either at the original or an adjacent level.

The article also explains how DBs have a lower success rate than other positions.

Which isn't surprising to me.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:10:14 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 64
Applause Received: 201

Originally Posted by: mi_keys Go to Quoted Post
As for Bishop, the reports I read claimed we wouldn't let him play for the money we were paying him. The risk of re-injury didn't justify paying him that salary. I'm looking for the sources to back this up but I had a series of texts with my younger brother in which I've saved the statistics. From 1990 to 2008, 10 players had the same injury as Bishop (as far as same muscle tear and same general severity). One never returned and four only returned for a single game. While that is not a sample size that allows for statistically significant conclusions, those numbers do not look good (assuming they are accurate).

Bishop also had other issues.

Like being slow and bad in coverage.

Even with 2 good hamstrings.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 5:51:06 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,469
Applause Received: 353

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
Here are some interesting parts of an article I found on the procedure being performed on NFL players.

CDH treatment success in the NFL

Nearly 3 out of 4 (72 percent) of NFL players who were treated surgically for CDH returned to play and continued to play in an average of 29.3 games over a 2.8-year period after surgery. In contrast, less than half (46 percent) of those treated nonsurgically returned to play; those who did played an average of 14.7 games over a 1.5-year period before retiring.

None of the players who returned to the field sustained a spinal cord injury after surgery, noted Dr. Hsu, although 5.3 percent did have a second surgical procedure in the cervical spine, either at the original or an adjacent level.

The article also explains how DBs have a lower success rate than other positions.

Which isn't surprising to me.

I certainly hope he can make it back. But for now, I'm just going to stick with prior similar evidence (although I'm very aware it's not the same circumstances) and say that he won't be back with the Packers. Or even if some reason he gets an opportunity, I don't think he'll make the roster as a result.