You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:42:27 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,390
Applause Received: 1,187

Quote:
Longtime White House journalist Helen Thomas has died at age 92 after a long illness, sources told CNN Saturday.

Thomas covered 10 presidents over nearly half a century, and became a legend in the industry.

She was a fixture at White House news conferences -- sitting front and center late in her career -- where she frequently exasperated government spokesmen with her pointed questions.

she did her job well.

CNN
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:14:22 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 347
Applause Received: 208

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
she did her job well.

CNN

BULLSHIT!!!!!

Ding Dong!!! The Land of Oz is Happy tonight.

This woman epitomized the EVIL of the God damned ELITIST LEFTIST Mainstream Media.

Good Riddance, Bitch!!!

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline dfosterf  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:26:33 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 157
Applause Received: 337

I thought she was a real gas-bag as she got older.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:33:51 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
I thought she was a real gas-bag as she got older.

yeah she could be a pain. I didn't like her politics but she did ask questions no one else could.

Quote:
She was a pain to everyone.

One afternoon in October 2009, she targeted President Barack Obama's spokesman, Robert Gibbs, during the daily briefing.

Health care reform was being debated at the time, and Thomas asked Gibbs every day whether a public option would be part of the package.

In the back-and-forth that ensued, Thomas said that she already had reached a conclusion but could not get a straight answer from the presidential spokesman.

"Then why do you keep asking me?" Gibbs inquired.

"Because I want your conscience to bother you," Thomas replied.

The room broke into laughter as Gibbs turned red.

she was not without some merit.
Quote:

"We were never hyphenated as Arab-Americans. We were American, and I have always rejected the hyphen and I believe all assimilated immigrants should not be designated ethnically. Or separated, of course, by race, or creed either. These are trends that ever try to divide us as a people."

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:38:11 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Don't get me wrong, I dig chutzpah, but she started to get a bit inane and blatantly biased as she geezed. In her prime, she was a (net) good for journalism in general, but that was a long, long time ago.

This is a somewhat convoluted analogy, but I could no more stand listening to her questions than I could listening to Sen. Byrd for YEARS (and all the b.s. accolades from his colleagues, on both sides of the aisle) when HE went hard-geezin'. Man, I wanted him to pass, or West Virginia to wake the fuck up and not re-elect him, in spite of the pork headin' their way, largely thanks to our collective confusion regarding competence vs. name recognition, popularity, pop-friggin' culture, seeking royaly in every corner- whatever it is we dumb asses as Americans like to do with these clowns.

Edited by user Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:50:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 7/21/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:46:04 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Don't get me wrong, I dig chutzpah, but she started to get a bit inane and blatantly biased as she geezed. In her prime, she was a (net) good for journalism in general, but that was a long, long time ago.

I have no problems with this. I think her popularity increased as she did cameos in movies.

UserPostedImage

#7 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:46:25 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

yeah she could be a pain. I didn't like her politics but she did ask questions no one else could.

she was not without some merit.

Read your own examples. Yeah, she harrassed Obama's guy a little bit - ABOUT NOT GOING FAR ENOUGH IN THE LEFTIST DIRECTION. The reason she was loved so much by the leftist assholes was because she harrassed Reagan and both Bushes from the ANTI-AMERICAN point of view. I suppose you could point out that she was "fair" because she nagged Clinton over his personal foibles - yeah, but nary a word about anything political. She was MUCH more extreme from the left than Ann Coulter, for example, from the right, and it makes me absolutely SICK that she is painted as something other than the evil bitch she was. All that and the disgusting pro-Muslim/anti-Jew, anti-Israel crap she spewed.

I say again, Good Riddance to the God damned evil piece of shit. May she rot in hell.

Offline OlHoss1884  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 2:28:21 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 97

you sound bitter. Maybe your post makes more sense in the original German.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 7/22/2013(UTC), wpr on 7/22/2013(UTC)
#9 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 6:11:41 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
you sound bitter. Maybe your post makes more sense in the original German.

Hell yeah I'm bitter! I grew up watching that God damned COMMUNIST Walter Cronkite propagandize the country, and people with Good Normal America-loving views get ridiculed by ELITISTS just like that evil bitch. They have the GALL to call her a JOURNALIST and make her out to be something other than the piece of shit she is, while disparaging anybody with a slant toward the pro-American side. Ann Coulter is every bit the "journalist" the dead bitch is, yet she is routinely spit on by the God damned left-biased America-hating mainstream media. Same for Limbaugh, Hannity, and many others who simply REFLECT the good normal views of good normal Americans.

Rot in hell, Helen Thomas. Burn right next to Murrow, Cronkite, Russert, Brinkley, etc. - "iconic journalists" i.e. left wing bastards one and all.

Offline Wade  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 2:24:08 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 555
Applause Received: 583

Journalists should be scruffy pain-in-the-ass bastards. People garbed in wrinkled corduroy or two-day-dirty white shirts. People who have scars and unhealthy habits. People who will stare at a microfilm screen for hours and who will hang out on the wrong side of town. People who don't give a damn for being photogenic. People who don't desire to be a news anchor. People who like digging up dirt regardless of whose dirt it is. People who can use the English language like a stiletto, like a baseball bat, like a velvet glove or like a boxing glove. Who can whisper in the reader's ear like Bacall, and make smartass remarks like Bogart. Who can thunder like John Wayne, sneer like John Malcovich, and knock you up side of the head like Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Someone who doesn't buy this bullshit modernist distinction between "good reporting" and "commentary" because she knows that commentary done without hitting the streets and doing the research and dealing with the shit of actual real world stories, journalistic editorializing isn't worth shit.

Frankly, I don't give a damn anymore whether Helen Thomas or 99.99 percent of the White House press corps is a liberal and ignores "the other side."

To me, the problem is that we have to choose between the Helen Thomases and the Ann Coulters and the Andy Rooneys and the O'Reillys and the Olbermanns of the world.

I miss Ernie Pyle (okay, he was dead before I heard of him, but in my days as a historian, I've read a good deal of his stuff).

I miss Dr. Z.

I miss real reporters.

I miss Mike Royko.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
dfosterf on 7/22/2013(UTC), wpr on 7/22/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 2:34:41 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Wow, Wade such a great job.

When I was younger she irritated me on a regular basis then I noticed something. The men she was attacking the hardest, men like President Reagan and President Bush (both) never said a cruel word about her. At least not in public. They went out of they way to give her some recognition. I decided if these men whom she was antagonistic toward every single day could get along with her, what reason did I have to complain?

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 2:39:13 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

"People who can use the English language like a stiletto."

Damn, I like that comment. Applause

...Way I see it, Kev owes me a B.J. from the cutest girl he knows for me having conned you into joining this site. Laughing

You da man, Wade!

Edited by user Monday, July 22, 2013 2:50:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 2:50:18 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

"People who can use the English language like a stiletto."

Damn, I like that comment. Applause

...Way I see it, Kev owes me a B.J. from the cutest girl he knows for me having conned you into joining this site. Laughing

Kevin knowing any cute girls? common. Think aboutit.

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 2:56:34 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Kevin knowing any cute girls? common. Think aboutit.

Oh no. This one WOULD be so easy to diss him on, but I seem to recall that getting cute girls is not an issue for young tekkie-boy, other than his hand-wringing over the fact that they are all a major pain in the ass, once landed.

Oh, I also think my man Wade needs to "Pay it forward." He was SO well-respected by so many of the members of the site I went and "stole" him from, even if he thinks he has no "connections" there, anymore, he needs to go steal one he respected. I am 100% confident of two things:

A) If he tried, he'd get us a "great" one.

B) This site would get even better, I most assuredly trust his judgment.

Edited by user Monday, July 22, 2013 3:35:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool on 7/22/2013(UTC), wpr on 7/22/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 5:49:10 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Wade you have my wife laughing and loving this last post. good job.

UserPostedImage