Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline porky88  
#61 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 9:33:36 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 177
Applause Received: 331

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
When you are a championship caliber team 6th and 7th round picks don't stick very often. They end up on the PS and then stolen by a weaker team later on. It is a waste.

Except the Packers have a depth problem. They aren't that deep and I would go as far to say they aren't as good as people think. I'm very, very worried about the team this season. I think they're vulnerable. I like the approach Ted Thompson took by acquiring extra picks. They have to get deeper.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 4/26/2013(UTC), DoddPower on 4/26/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#62 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 9:57:51 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

If he trades up in R4 a couple of times, and lands all of
NT Jesse Williams
LT David Quessenberry
C Brian Schwenke
I'm not seeing an issue at all, but rather 5 top 100 selections. Go Ted.

I'll add, there is a ton of talent we do not know about fully, available outside of the top 100 many of us fans become so enamoured with. The Packers spend millions on scouting, and Ted has earned his stripes as a talent evaluator, with what is still a very good staff, supported by Elliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith. That's scouting talent worth trusting.

Honestly, I didn't think a real possibility existed for Ted to land 5 top 100 rated players without giving up our 1st from next year, but he is positioned to do so with 10 picks to trade to get it done. Kudos to him. If he chooses to just take two of those, I'll still trust his scouting and evaluations.

Sitton was a R5 who turned into one of the best Gs in the NFL. Pro Bowl player.

This draft -could- prove to be epic. He knows the stakes. I can't wait to see what late round WR he adds too.
Offline wpr  
#63 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:02:42 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,725
Applause Received: 1,310

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
That makes no sense. If you trade back and get an extra pick while not missing out on anyone and still get a player you like it's a waste? Sounds like a perfect situation to me. This championship caliber team has had plenty of UDFAs make the team the past couple years. It seems to me like getting the player you want while also getting more chances at other players is anything but "a waste"

Since Ted has been in charge he has taken 26 players in the 6th and 7th rounds. 4 of them have been quality players. A few have been part time starters because of the lack of depth at a position. Most if they made the team were merely backups.

Quote:
• 6a. MICHAEL MONTGOMERY, DE, Texas A&M, 180
(from Oakland Raiders for Marques Anderson)
• 6b. CRAIG BRAGG, WR, UCLA, 195
(from New England Patriots in draft-day trade)
• 7a. KURT CAMPBELL, LB, Albany, 245
(from Philadelphia Eagles in draft-day trade)
• 7b. WILLIAM WHITTICKER, G, Michigan State, 246
(from New England Patriots in draft-day trade)
• 6a. JOHNNY JOLLY, DT, Texas A&M, 183
(from St. Louis Rams in draft-day trade)
• 6b. TYRONE CULVER, S, Fresno State, 185
(from Philadelphia Eagles in draft-day trade)
• 7. DAVE TOLLEFSON, DE, Northwest Missouri State, 253
(free agency compensatory pick)

• 6a. KOREY HALL, FB, Boise State, 191
(from N.Y. Jets in draft-day trade)
• 6b. DESMOND BISHOP, LB, California, 192
(from Pittsburgh Steelers in draft-day trade)
• 6c. MASON CROSBY, K, Colorado, 193
• 7a. DeSHAWN WYNN, RB, Florida, 228
• 7. CLARK HARRIS, TE, Rutgers, 243

• 7a. MATT FLYNN, QB, Louisiana State, 209
(from Minnesota Vikings in draft-day trade)
• 7b. BRETT SWAIN, WR, San Diego State, 217
(from St. Louis Rams in draft-day trade)
• 6a. JARIUS WYNN, DE, Georgia, 182
(from New Orleans Saints in 2008 draft-day trade)
• 6b. BRANDON UNDERWOOD, CB, Cincinnati, 187
• 7. BRAD JONES, LB, Colorado, 218
• 6. JAMES STARKS, RB, Buffalo, 193
• 7. C.J. WILSON, DE, East Carolina, 230
• 6a. CALEB SCHLAUDERAFF, G, Utah, 179
(from Miami Dolphins in draft-day trade)
• 6b. D.J. SMITH, LB, Appalachian State, 186
(from Denver Broncos in draft-day trade)
• 6c. RICKY ELMORE, LB, Arizona, 197
• 7a. RYAN TAYLOR, TE, North Carolina, 218
(from Miami Dolphins in draft-day trade)
• 7b. LAWRENCE GUY, DE, Arizona State, 233
• 7a. ANDREW DATKO, T, Florida State, 241
• 7b. B.J. COLEMAN, QB, Tennessee-Chattanooga, 243

Clearly Ted does not value the players in the 3rd round as he keeps trading the pick away. But of the ones he did chose a few of them have been decent. When I said it

Quote:
None ( Down for MARVIEL UNDERWOOD)
3a. ABDUL HODGE, LB, Iowa, 67
3b. JASON SPITZ, G/C, Louisville, 75
3a. JAMES JONES, WR, San Jose State, 78
3b. AARON ROUSE, SS, Virginia Tech, 89
3. JERMICHAEL FINLEY, TE, Texas, 91
None (Up for Clay Matthews)
None (Up for Morgan Burnett)
3. ALEX GREEN, RB, Hawaii, 96
None (Up for Casey Hayward)

When I say it is a waste there is a clear drop off in talent from the 3rd to the 4th rounds. A 4th + 7th is not better than a 3rd. I am too tired to cut and past the 4th round picks as well. Only Lang and Sitton came out of the 4th and have been solid staters for GB. Someone will add Poppinga too. That is debatable.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#64 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:02:58 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
My excitement has gone bye bye.
I'll check back on Sunday.

Oh, you'll be back tomorrow yoops! You should.
Offline wpr  
#65 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:05:13 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
Except the Packers have a depth problem. They aren't that deep and I would go as far to say they aren't as good as people think. I'm very, very worried about the team this season. I think they're vulnerable. I like the approach Ted Thompson took by acquiring extra picks. They have to get deeper.

After 8 seasons why should there be depth issues? Who's fault is that?

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#66 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:06:59 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
If he trades up in R4 a couple of times, and lands all of
NT Jesse Williams
LT David Quessenberry
C Brian Schwenke
I'm not seeing an issue at all, but rather 5 top 100 selections. Go Ted.

I'll add, there is a ton of talent we do not know about fully, available outside of the top 100 many of us fans become so enamoured with. The Packers spend millions on scouting, and Ted has earned his stripes as a talent evaluator, with what is still a very good staff, supported by Elliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith. That's scouting talent worth trusting.

Honestly, I didn't think a real possibility existed for Ted to land 5 top 100 rated players without giving up our 1st from next year, but he is positioned to do so with 10 picks to trade to get it done. Kudos to him. If he chooses to just take two of those, I'll still trust his scouting and evaluations.

Sitton was a R5 who turned into one of the best Gs in the NFL. Pro Bowl player.

This draft -could- prove to be epic. He knows the stakes. I can't wait to see what late round WR he adds too.

2008 4b

UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#67 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:11:44 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Since Ted has been in charge he has taken 26 players in the 6th and 7th rounds. 4 of them have been quality players. A few have been part time starters because of the lack of depth at a position. Most if they made the team were merely backups.

Clearly Ted does not value the players in the 3rd round as he keeps trading the pick away. But of the ones he did chose a few of them have been decent. When I said it

When I say it is a waste there is a clear drop off in talent from the 3rd to the 4th rounds. A 4th + 7th is not better than a 3rd. I am too tired to cut and past the 4th round picks as well. Only Lang and Sitton came out of the 4th and have been solid staters for GB. Someone will add Poppinga too. That is debatable.

wpr,

I don't think for a second Ted didn't make these trades for all of these picks without trading up in mind Day 3. Hang in there bro. Lets see what happens.
Offline wpr  
#68 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:28:55 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
wpr,

I don't think for a second Ted didn't make these trades for all of these picks without trading up in mind Day 3. Hang in there bro. Lets see what happens.

Perhaps you are right. I doubt it. Uncle Teddy hates the 3rd round for some reason. He has traded it away 5 of 9 drafts.

I find it very interesting that SF, the NFC champs and prob should have been SB champs, don't value those low draft picks and traded them to GB twice. I look at who SF picked up and I see a tough team got a whole lot tougher. I look at GB and I see a soft team picking up more soft players that will stick around a couple years or so then be out of the league.

SF went out and made trades and picked up FA's and made themselves a better team. Not GB.

UserPostedImage

Offline porky88  
#69 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:21:14 AM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 177
Applause Received: 331

After 8 seasons why should there be depth issues? Who's fault is that?

Look at the last pair of draft classes and you have your answer. Sure, there are some good players. Randall Cobb and Casey Heyward spring to mind. However, Derek Sherrod and Nick Perry are disappointing. Four of the last five players chosen in 2011 are no longer on the roster. When you draft and develop, your team depends upon ridiculous consistency. There are some holes in the last two draft classes and the current roster reflects those holes.
Offline play2win  
#70 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:40:34 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

SF entered this draft with 13 picks! They had an insane amount to trade around. We had 8, got two very good players, and by more shrewd trading work, we now have 10 more picks.

Ted can have his way through here, where there is plenty of good talent to be had.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#71 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 5:37:28 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

The problem with getting all these picks, even if he trades up, is there is no place on the roster for them. Any player taken is going to be a project, young potential, and that young potential is only going to replace young potential that was taken in the late rounds a short while ago. these picks are attempts at improving the depth by replacing the bottom of the depth chart and that is not what we need. We need to improve the team by getting players that can be inserted at the top or middle and improve the depth from the top, not the bottom.

This is what will keep the Packers a competitive team, but quite possibly will prevent us from becoming a great team.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#72 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 5:45:02 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
The problem with getting all these picks, even if he trades up, is there is no place on the roster for them. Any player taken is going to be a project, young potential, and that young potential is only going to replace young potential that was taken in the late rounds a short while ago. these picks are attempts at improving the depth by replacing the bottom of the depth chart and that is not what we need. We need to improve the team by getting players that can be inserted at the top or middle and improve the depth from the top, not the bottom.

This is what will keep the Packers a competitive team, but quite possibly will prevent us from becoming a great team.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

UserPostedImage

Offline Rockmolder  
#73 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:35:56 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 237

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post

That depends on how you identify depth.

I asume that you're aming for a lack of quality, then, whcih might be true. But all these players that make for the depth problem you're talking about, are players we found in those later rounds. 6th and 7th rounders are a huge gamble and, usually, huge projects. The chances of drafting someone there who will give you that depth that we're looking for is a longshot.

That said, I'm not as bummed as everyone here seems to be. This draft especially, there's not that huge a drop-off between the end of round 3 and round 4. There's some good talent left and we already made two amazing picks in the first two rounds. If there was ever a draft to trade back, it's this one, a draft that was very shallow at the top and very heavy at the bottom.

A shame though that, like PWFT said, there's no real room on the roster for 5 6th and 7th rounders, plus UDFAs.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline warhawk  
#74 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:48:31 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 207

The Packers are in the pole position to deal with teams at the top of each round today that need more picks and allows Ted to cherry pick players they want.

It's been pointed out that not many good players come out of these last rounds. Well, how many years has there been A) a deep draft, and B) Ted is sitting there with 10 picks?

Are the odds not way better today than sitting at the bottom of these last 4 rounds that Ted will swoop in and grab a few players that will make the team better?

Sit back and enjoy this. It's going to be fun.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#75 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:25:57 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Oh god we didn't use a 3 round pick it's the end of the world!

You guys act if the draft is over with already...

Still good players on the board.
Rss Feed