Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:24:59 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,031
Applause Received: 1,467

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post


I am sure it is. That plus Kevin wants more discussion plus he is bored and He has brought this discussion up about 10 times in the past 5 years. I just want to make him feel like he is getting his money's worth.

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Pack93z on 4/1/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:32:04 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
that is all the same thing. "The guy who chucks the ball down the field." I see a QB as being more rounded than that.
Why not look at who called their own plays? That is Starr. Sure Rodgers has the run/pass option and he can audible but he works out a the confines of the plays that are giving to him from the sideline. Starr had the freedom/responsibility to call the plays on his own with some assistance from the sidelines. A field general. A well rounded QB who doesn't rely on one aspect for his credibility.


Plus, Aaron Rodgers has to do all of it without any hall of fame running backs to take heat off him. What you say now?

It's okay, Aaron Rodgers > Bart Starr. It's just fact. I'm glad Starr was around back then, but it's okay to acknowledge that someone better has come along. It's inevitable. There will be someone better than Reggie White, Sterling Sharpe, etc ... that's a good thing.

Acceptance you can.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:32:44 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I am sure it is. That plus Kevin wants more discussion plus he is bored and He has brought this discussion up about 10 times in the past 5 years. I just want to make him feel like he is getting his money's worth.


To actually get his monies worth.. one would think he might start a thread discussing the real meat and potatoes of a football team.. not the over glorified position that is the QB. LOL
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:37:03 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
To actually get his monies worth.. one would think he might start a thread discussing the real meat and potatoes of a football team.. not the over glorified position that is the QB. LOL


Big man still wishing he could toss the rock!
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:45:40 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Big man still wishing he could toss the rock!


Ahhh, that would be incorrect.. I could chuck the pigskin.. and the baseball as well, still can get into the high 70's with the baseball. Try again.. it is all about the over hype. ;)
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#21 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:47:12 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,031
Applause Received: 1,467

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Plus, Aaron Rodgers has to do all of it without any hall of fame running backs to take heat off him. What you say now?

It's okay, Aaron Rodgers > Bart Starr. It's just fact. I'm glad Starr was around back then, but it's okay to acknowledge that someone better has come along. It's inevitable. There will be someone better than Reggie White, Sterling Sharpe, etc ... that's a good thing.

Acceptance you can.


nope.

1<5. Don't punish Bart because he did a better job than Aaron did at winning the ultimate prize. Time after time after time after time after time. When you win that often they have to stick more players into the Hall.
Bart's greatness MADE them all HoFers. FACTOID. Wanna Box?

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 4/1/2013(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#22 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:57:00 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

All I have to do is look at the beautiful perfectly placed spirals thrown by Aaron vs. the dying quail chucked up by Starr, but yeah Starr has that trophy thing going for him. It's like saying Terry Bradshaw is a better quarterback than Dan Marino.

This must be what it feels like to be a Viking fan, well sort of.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 4/1/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:59:38 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Using the multiquote feature to bust ya all down ... wassup.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Ahhh, that would be incorrect.. I could chuck the pigskin.. and the baseball as well, still can get into the high 70's with the baseball. Try again.. it is all about the over hype. ;)

Chucking pigskin... anyone can do that. Failing to hit the broad side of a barn or consistently throw a spiral ...


Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
nope.

1<5. Don't punish Bart because he did a better job than Aaron did at winning the ultimate prize. Time after time after time after time after time. When you win that often they have to stick more players into the Hall.
Bart's greatness MADE them all HoFers. FACTOID. Wanna Box?


Bart Starr had a superior cast around him with a legendary coach at the helm, of course he is going to be mis-perceived as the best. We gonna say Terry Bradshaw is better than Aaron Rodgers because 4 > 1? Or that Trent Dilfer is equal to Aaron Rodgers because 1 = 1?

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#24 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:01:06 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

Chucking pigskin... anyone can do that. Failing to hit the broad side of a barn or consistently throw a spiral ...



Any day you want to contest this statement.. I am game. Just don't hang your head when the facts separate themselves. Big Grin
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 4/1/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:02:47 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Any day you want to contest this statement.. I am game. Just don't hang your head when the facts separate themselves. Big Grin


Pssh, I can still sling it 50+ with ease my friend... with ease!
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#26 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:16:39 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Pssh, I can still sling it 50+ with ease my friend... with ease!


Anyone can sling it 50... but accurately. Wanna Box?
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#27 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:24:46 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 678
Applause Received: 698

5 = 500% of 1.

That is a big gap to make up.

Until Rodgers get at least three, I'm not going to put him in the same category.

In terms of statistics, physical tools, Rodgers is ahead by a landslide. If we want to exaggerate, even 500% as big.

But if I'm going to weight things, I give championships a weight of 0.9 and statistics/tools a combined weight of 0.1.

Therefore:

Starr = (0.9 x 5) + (0.1 x 1) = 0.65 min.
Rodgers = (0.9 x 1) + (0.1 x 5) = 0.59 max.

Starr.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 4/1/2013(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#28 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 9:26:44 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 606
Applause Received: 275

Starr didn't audible out of running plays to pad his stats. Therefore he is the better QB.
OHOH!Weeeee!!
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Pack93z on 4/1/2013(UTC), wpr on 4/1/2013(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#29 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 10:18:56 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Starr didn't audible out of running plays to pad his stats. Therefore he is the better QB.
OHOH!Weeeee!!


Ahhh.. feeding the stat mongering viewpoint posters.. these could become fun.. Big Grin
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 10:47:44 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I believe the consensus here is that Rodgers is the better QB from a talent and ability level, and as good as Starr was, his talents are/were not those possessed by Rodgers.

Starr has more Championships attached to his name. I want Championships in Green Bay. Period.

This is a good time to recognize how good Rodgers is, and what is needed to put him into the Starr category for Championships: a running game, a HC who will call a running game, and a solid D.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
5 Pages<1234>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / OlHoss1884

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

24-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann