Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:53:23 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JSOnline wrote:
For all the talk there has been about TE Jermichael Finley being asked for a pay cut or being released, the fact of the matter is that with the loss of Greg Jennings and Tom Crabtree, the Packers now need Finley in a bad way.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:08:52 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,181

I think the biggest winner in Greg Jennings leaving is definitely Jermichel Finley.
UserPostedImage
Offline JustinAVA182  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:34:40 AM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 30

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I think the biggest winner in Greg Jennings leaving is definitely Jermichel Finley.

Yep for his pocket and playing time. I hope Finley can prove me wrong n shut me up.
UserPostedImage
Online buckeyepackfan  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:33:31 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 330
Applause Received: 443

I'm betting Ted will offer an extension, will guartantee the 9-10 mill that he is due this year and sign him to a 3-5 yr deal that will pay him a total of 6-7 mil a year.

ex: 5 year deal,10 mil guaranteed, base salary of 4mil a year avg.
10 mil would be spread out evenly over 5 years(2mil a year), base salary would start at 1mil for 2013, 2mil for 2014, 3 mil for 2015, then escalate to 10 mil in 2016, with the remaining 4 mil ib 2017.

This on paper would be a 5yr, 30 mil contract, in actuality, The Packers would be on the hook for 16 mil over 3 years.

Cap hit 2013-3mil, 2014-4mi, 2015-5mil, 2016-12mil, 2017-6mil.(of course Jermicheal would never see the 2016 contract year.)

It will then be up to Jermicheal to accept or refuse, not sure when his roster bonus is due, but something will happen before that date.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline play2win  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:56:38 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I would dump Finley, and apply all $8,250,000 towards front loading deals to Rodgers, Matthews and Raji. Of course, try to trade him first, but I cannot see that with his cap number. Possible though, with a restructure guarantee.
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:45:51 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 246
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I'm betting Ted will offer an extension, will guartantee the 9-10 mill that he is due this year and sign him to a 3-5 yr deal that will pay him a total of 6-7 mil a year.

It will then be up to Jermicheal to accept or refuse, not sure when his roster bonus is due, but something will happen before that date.

I think that's the best idea I've heard... offer him an extension to get him down to averaging less than 7 million a year.

He's suppose to get a 3 million roster bonus on 3/27 (if he's on the roster)... FYI, he's birthday is 3/26... so nice birthday present.

I doubt they could work out a deal, but a trade of TE Jermichael Finley for Seahawks TE Zach Miller.

Their contacts for this year are very close. Finley is 2.25ish years younger and has more raw potential but struggling to reach it all, while Miller has 2 more years on the contract which are priced better, and Miller is a better blocking and looked very good in the passing game when the OL play has been good enough to let him get out for routes, as he's been needed as a blocker for a while. Also he has 8 catches for 142 yards against the Falcons in the playoff game (which the Seahawks lost).

America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:09:34 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Tony Gonzalez is playing for more than $3M less per year with his new contract. I'm just not seeing the value in keeping this player on our roster. Are we really getting $8.75M worth of production from him? No.

I guess if he restructures, maybe he finally plays up to his pay scale. I have huge doubts about him, but it is clear the staff does not. They love him. I'll hope for the best.

Finley, even at $6-7M per is more than Gonzalez. Way more. Where's the value?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/p.../_/id/1231/tony-gonzalez
http://espn.go.com/nfl/p.../11325/jermichael-finley

Not even close.

IMO, Finley is the same big boob bleach blonde that Javon Walker was. Everybody loves the measurables.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:27:19 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

If the front office and coaching staff allow themselves to be hoodwinked yet again by Finley, especially after all the dire threats they were leaking earlier this year, my respect for them is going to take another ding. I am hoping we have not seen the last of this silly situation yet.
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 12:44:33 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Tony Gonzalez is playing for more than $3M less per year with his new contract.

No he's not... (at least according to rotoworld.com)

According to rotoworld.com both Finley and Gonzalez signed a two-year, $14 million contract. ($7 million per year)

You're trying to compare Finley's expensive last year of the deal vs. Gonzalez cheap (first) year of the deal, when the contracts are over all, the same price per year.

http://www.rotoworld.com...l/4717/jermichael-finley

http://www.rotoworld.com...r/nfl/1331/tony-gonzalez

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline DakotaT  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:50:30 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
No he's not... (at least according to rotoworld.com)

According to rotoworld.com both Finley and Gonzalez signed a two-year, $14 million contract. ($7 million per year)

You're trying to compare Finley's expensive last year of the deal vs. Gonzalez cheap (first) year of the deal, when the contracts are over all, the same price per year.

http://www.rotoworld.com...l/4717/jermichael-finley

http://www.rotoworld.com...r/nfl/1331/tony-gonzalez

Finley is just a whipping boy for Packer fans cause he's a million dollar talent with a ten cent hood rat head. Finley's not going anywhere, and I for one am anxious to see what he plays like this year with more time exlapsed from his knee injury. He did have a very good second half of the season in 2012.

Message modified by user Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:18:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:17:13 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 514

Sometimes teams overpay a player for a season or so based on any number of complicated situations that have occurred. So long as it doesn't significantly affect resigning a key player or a free agent, then it's not a huge deal in a "worse case scenario" type of situation. It's not ideal, but it happens. Every player on the Packers roster is not going to be making exactly what they deserve every season. Some will be paid less (Rodgers, CM3), and others will be paid more than they are worth (Hawk, Finley) in a given season. As long as the ramifications aren't extreme and short-lived, such as one more season in Finley's case IF he doesn't sign an extension, then it's not something the front office is likely to panic about. If it was, I'm sure they would either sign Finley to an extension or cut him. If neither of those things happen, than it's safe to assume Ted Thompson understands Finley is getting overpaid, but is willing to accept it for one more season and then re-evaluate things again next off season. It's always a balancing act.
Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:55:01 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Finley is just a whipping boy for Packer fans cause he's a million dollar talent with a ten cent hood rat head. Finley's not going anywhere, and I for one am anxious to see what he plays like this year with more time exlapsed from his knew injury. He did have a very good second half of the season in 2012.

I agree with the ten cent head, but he's also going to expect another 7 million per year contract. And while he's very talented I want to see him maximize his potential more. Have a whole season like how he finished it.

It's been over 2 years since his knee injury... and his first year back he proved it's fine. He's not his knee... it's his head, not his knee.

UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:10:41 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,181

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I agree with the ten cent head, but he's also going to expect another 7 million per year contract. And while he's very talented I want to see him maximize his potential more. Have a whole season like how he finished it.

It's been over 2 years since his knee injury... and his first year back he proved it's fine. He's not his knee... it's his head, not his knee.

You think playing with a injured shoulder as a TE is nothing worth mentioning? You be tough dude!! lol

Second half of the season his shoulder was better and so were his statistics.
UserPostedImage
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:41:12 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 450
Applause Received: 271

Simply cutting Finley/not paying the $3 million chunk due by the end of March would result in a $3.5 million cap hit - that plus the risk that he goes on to play for somebody else like we wish he would play for the Packers. I really hope we don't just pay the bonus due by end of March, but I kinda like the idea of buckeyepackman above or something similar.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline beast  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:43:36 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
You think playing with a injured shoulder as a TE is nothing worth mentioning? You be tough dude!! lol

Second half of the season his shoulder was better and so were his statistics.

I forgot about his shoulder injury... and you're right about that.

BUT there were games early on, where he didn't even half ass some of his routes. Where teams were putting a LB struggled in coverage on him, and they would be keeping up, because he wasn't trying. Then he would try to do the first half of the route, lose the LB easily... Rodgers saw him open, all he has to do was keep running.... and he would stop. Giving him a bad angle on the catch (where if he kept running it would be a good angle) and the LB would catch up and hit his arms as he tried to catch it making him lose the ball. And it looked more like a lack of effort on his part than injury...

I can understand pain over loading you and making you want to quit... it's happen to me. But if you're in that much pain you shouldn't be taking most of the snaps if you're pain is that bad.

He picked up his effort late, when guys started being silly with him some before and after plays. Seemed to lift his mood and his playing effort and he started trying a heck lot harder.

Also another guy that needs to be watched is Raji. His run clogging looks about the same as it always has been... but he's pass rush when one on one with an OL seems to have dropped a good bit. He's also been battling some off and on injuries, but not seeing him bull rush any one over or close to it any more.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Rss Feed