Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 2:14:57 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Forgive me.. but it is the offseason and may lead into a decent discussion.

Titus Young was waived and can be claimed along with a reasonable salary. Would you take a complete flyer on a talented yet seemingly immature player?

Personally, I might put in a claim just to bring him in and have a conversation to see if there is any value in keeping him around. Maybe, just maybe a change of scenery and being able to face the Lions a couple times a year might produce results.

Reasons to do it:

1. Potentially losing Jennings and having lost Driver (depth) already, it gives us another option for the offseason at least.

2. Adds another talented player without spending big or using a draft pick upon.

3. Gives the Packers flexibility in the draft for other positions and UDFA.

The risk is very minimal for offseason workouts to see if there is any possibility it might reap rewards.

Over/Under 6 posts before Packer People is uttered.

Edited by user Monday, February 4, 2013 3:23:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 2:43:53 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 70
Applause Received: 115

I am of 2 minds about this. Part of me tries to be in tune with player attitudes and lockerroom. Young is a disaster historically. He allegedly punched a teammate and was bad enough that even the Lions couldn't put up with his attitude. That is saying something.

But then, you're right. Doesn't cost much to try him out, I think. Sign him, evaluate during OTA's and cut him at the slightest sign of drama.

He is not the type of player I care for, but if he could score TD's, maybe I'm looking at it wrong.
blank
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 3:02:38 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,377
Applause Received: 600

Don't see much downside.

Packers have been successful with reclamation projects in the past. Woody was once considered a malcontent. Team leader now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Porforis  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 3:54:19 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I am of 2 minds about this. Part of me tries to be in tune with player attitudes and lockerroom. Young is a disaster historically. He allegedly punched a teammate and was bad enough that even the Lions couldn't put up with his attitude. That is saying something.

But then, you're right. Doesn't cost much to try him out, I think. Sign him, evaluate during OTA's and cut him at the slightest sign of drama.

He is not the type of player I care for, but if he could score TD's, maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

That. Even if Finley and Jennings leave, he's going to be very low on the totem pole, some humility and limited snaps would do him some good. And if he still doesn't get the point that he's simply one man on a 52 man roster (if he makes it that far), adios.

As far as the Lions not being able to put up with his attitude, that team and that coach is hardly the type of environment that will help someone mature.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 4:23:59 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,869
Applause Received: 2,047

I don't see how bringing him in, plus taking over his salary benefits the Packers more than it could potentially be damaging. One of the reason the Packers WR group is so good is because they are unselfish, something Titus Young is not. He complains when Calvin Johnson receives more targets... how's he gonna do with Cobb, Nelson, Jones and Finley getting more targets?

No. Deal. No. Claim.

If he clears waivers and they can sign him at a friendly salary, maybe.
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 4:25:27 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

Dude seems like a complete loser and I don't know what his problem is. I'd love to make a joke and say its all Schwartz's fault but I can't. His main gripe was the Lions weren't including him in future plans? If I am not mistaken he was behind the best wide receiver in the league on the depth chart. What more can a team possibly do?

For once, I'd say pass.
UserPostedImage
Online RajiRoar  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 5:39:46 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 224

No.

I dont mind a mild headcase OFF the field... but when a player is F*cking the team ON the field, he has issues.
Mike McCarthy would not stand for that shit for one second.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline musccy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:01:46 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 172

He purposefully lined up out of position to spite the Lions vs. the Packers. His H.S. coach just revealed that Titus is convinced he's better than Megatron. Unless he's getting #1 playing time and receptions, he's going to be a total P.I.T.A.

It'd be like Finley's drama on crack and steroids. No thanks.
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:06:48 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,377
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
He purposefully lined up out of position to spite the Lions vs. the Packers. His H.S. coach just revealed that Titus is convinced he's better than Megatron. Unless he's getting #1 playing time and receptions, he's going to be a total P.I.T.A.

Give him Favre's number.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackerTraxx  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:21:17 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post

This. No way, especially coupled with his other sh_t.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:43:50 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 873

Not to mention this is a guy with NFL talent that got basically kicked off his college team his last year because of his attitude. He obviously didn't learn anything from then until now. The offense Mike McCarthy runs depends on players being unselfish and being able to play all over the field and share targets. This guy simply wouldn't be able to handle it.
Offline dhazer  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 3:44:00 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 193

thread ended he was claimed by Rams
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline gbguy20  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:58:42 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 284

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
thread ended he was claimed by Rams

the rams were also the only team who put a claim in on him.
call me Dan
Offline Since69  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:36:06 AM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

I'm glad they took him. I didn't want him for the Packers, but what I really didn't want was to see him go to New England. Belichick would have turned him into a All-Pro...
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:33:04 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 644
Applause Received: 657

No.

and

Hell, no!

This is not Andre Rison, who had shown himself capable of being a top reciever.
This is not Terrell Owens, who though he was a major headcase, always gave full effort.
This is not even Randy Moss, who, though he undoubtedly "took plays off", never intentionally lined up in the wrong position out of petulance.

I wouldn't sign Young if I thought he had the skills of Rison in his prime AND Owens in his AND Moss in his.

If he gives me, say, four years of post-Lions, commitment and putting-the-team-first and keeping-his-spoiled-brat-mouth-shut, then -- maybe -- I'd give him a shot as a free agent.

But before then? I'd sign any of the above three, with their current skill set, first.

(And I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten-foot pole.)

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Rss Feed