Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline LambeauEast  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:01:03 AM(UTC)
LambeauEast

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 20

I stand corrected. He shall get no more money from us....enjoy being a Viking, Mr. Jennings!
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:00:07 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 522
Applause Received: 243

As a football fan I don't even want to think about contracts and their ramifications.
I just want to see a successful 2012 season for the Packers.
I have faith that Ted Thompson and his contract gurus will do what is best for the Packers at the time.
I prefer to leave the worrying to them.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 9/6/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:14:42 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,835
Applause Received: 1,991

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
As a football fan I don't even want to think about contracts and their ramifications.
I have faith that Ted Thompson and his contract gurus will do what is best for the Packers at the time.

I think that's an excellent point. Did fans care about contracts in the slightest back in the 60's, 70's or even 80's? The internet, what has it done to us?!?!?!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline zombieslayer  
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:16:50 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Well said. Applause

I should try to be more like you and just enjoy the 2012 season.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Pack93z  
#20 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:31:24 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,021

Think

So a big part of the success of the 2012 will hinge on whom is upon the field.. and whom is upon the field is upon the roster. And the roster is made up of 53 players with varying skills. Varying skills thus translates into perceived value. Perceived value leads to contract demands. Contract demands lead to signed contracts. Signed contracts lead to money spent. Money spent leads to amount of cap allocated. Amount of cap allocated directly impacts whom is upon the roster, thus to the success of the team upon the field.

It is all relative. Big Grin

Seven degrees type of logic.. if I spend a dollar on the Packers how is it allocated.

Humor aside.. yes I would probably be a happier fan if I could turn the money aspect of that game off. How is the question when I am force fed it at every turn.. thanks Greg Jennings, the refs, Jerry freaking Jones, lockouts, blackouts, stadium funding campaigns.. etc.. etc.. etc. Heck.. even in church they seem to focus more on money than God.

Weeeee!!

Edited by user Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:45:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#21 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:34:37 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
The cap will stagnate for a year or two, but then start going up again. Keep that in mind. As we go, there will be more space.

The player union reps wanted to look like they got a better settlement, so they in essence borrowed against the next couple years of cap expansion to make themselves look good. So the cap is stagnating a bit, but that won't always be the case.

relevant to the topic, here is all of our favorite, Andrew Brandt, on the subject:

Quote:
That's a great question. What we're dealing with is a fairly flat cap moving forward, even into 2014 and beyond. Many have asked about that and what about league revenues and the new TV contracts. The deal with the TV contracts is they start relatively close to where they ended financially. They rise throughout the 10-year ranks of their deals. In other words, any player thoughts on the spike of salary caps simply because the new TV deals kick in in 2014 is overstated. The deals kick in but they rise slowly. The projections are for a fairly flat cap through 2015. Maybe not even exceeding $125 million by then. But keep in mind that number is only the salary portion of the cap. There's a whole other benefits part of the cap, which could take it over 150 million. Sometimes there is no focus on what exactly the cap is and it's certainly more than negotiable salaries.

In other words, it may take a lot longer for that cap to go up a significant amount, and it probably won't be soon enough to be relevant in the Jennings negotiations.

I stumbled upon this little gem a few nights ago, when I was actually in the process of creating this exact same thread. The website I was using for player contract information proved to be inaccurate and I decided to scrap it all. So thank you pack93z for making this thread.
call me Dan
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:25:20 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Cut Hawk
Rework Woodson

I think Packers would be better off trying to trade Hawk if anything.

If I am correct, Packers cut Hawk next year and the 4.8 mil signing bonus money(1.6 mill 2013-14-15) will have to go against the cap in 2013 anyway.

Might as well keep him on, Packers are not going to benefit that much from cutting him.

I think you are gonna see these guys re-work their contracts to free up the money needed to sign the players who are going to be FA's next year.

Packers don't sign Greg Jennings to an extension during this year then pretty good odds he will be gone next year.

Somebody will pay him top dollar and The Packers just will not be able to afford him.

J. Finley needs to prove he can stay healthy and have a big year before he can demand top dollar. IMHO this is a wait and see issue.

“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline play2win  
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:02:24 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

Great thread Pack93z!

Best part of this whole thing is Ted has options. I would not consider Jennings to be gone from this Packers team next season a sure thing. We know for sure Ted is anti-restructuring. That leaves us with trimming the roster at other positions to fit this boatload of talent back onto the team.

To me, Hawk and Finley both have severely underplayed. I've been equally disappointed with both. Hopefully they have a great year and make the decisions that much more difficult. Save the stress for after the season. We did win a SB without Finley. Same can't be said for Jennings.

We should figure Ted's rather conservative approach in FA this offseason reflects the room this guy is going to need to get Rodgers, Matthews, Raji and Jennings under contract. I would rate their importance in that order.

Found this interesting, even though some of the info is not current: Packers Top 20 Salaries

Player Salary (M=Millions) Contract/Extension Signed Expires
Charles Woodson, CB $11.562M 2010 After 2014
Aaron Rodgers, QB $8.500M 2008 After 2014
Tramon Williams, CB $7.381M 2010 After 2014
Greg Jennings, WR $7.347M 2009 After 2012
A.J. Hawk, LB $6.531M 2011 After 2015
Jermichael Finley, TE $5.750M 2012 After 2013
Ryan Pickett, DE $5.737M 2010 After 2013
Donald Driver, WR $5.000M 2010 After 2012
Josh Sitton, OG $4.800M 2011 After 2016
B.J. Raji, NT $4.255M 2009 After 2013
Desmond Bishop, LB $4.245M 2011 After 2014
Jeff Saturday, C $4.000M 2012 After 2013
Jordy Nelson, WR $3.825M 2011 After 2014
James Jones, WR $3.100M 2011 After 2013
Mason Crosby, K $2.400M 2011 After 2015
John Kuhn, FB $2.400M 2011 After 2013
Clay Matthews, LB $1.930M 2009 After 2013
Bryan Bulaga, OT $1.847M 2010 After 2014
Derrek Sherrod, OT $1.500M 2011 After 2015
Jarrett Bush, CB $1.433M 2012 After 2014

I think they have Rodgers exp date wrong, and a few other figures... but good to see.

http://www.rantsports.co...packers-player-salaries/

Edited by user Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:36:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 9/6/2012(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:02:06 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 228

Like someone previously mentioned, wouldn't we still have to pay Hawk if he were cut?

If no then he would be the first to cut upon good news of a healthy Desmond Bishop. DJ Smith has been playing better football than Hawk and Hawk has been given more than enough chances (do not see him having some sort of break out season this year).

I was happy when the Packers re-signed Finley and this is the year for him to put up or shut up. If he has to shut up, cut his ass.

Jennings is more valuable than Finley...
UserPostedImage
Offline mkapp  
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:50:41 PM(UTC)
mkapp

Applause Received: 1

Just a reminder Ted Thompson and his draft wisdom will find a way to replace some of these guys with cheaper talent (see Nick Perry).
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#26 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:00:26 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Play gets an Applause point for the straight raw numbers. I love it when people post numbers we can examine.

That said, Driver will have retired. Woodson's salary might get adjusted, unless he has a monster year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#27 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2012 7:06:11 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

I.ve asked this question before, and never seem to get an answer.

Can anyone tell mewhy Ted Thompson cut A.J. Hawk and turned right around and resigned him to his current contract?

According to almost everyone here Hawk has underachieved and is overpaid.

I just want someone to tell me why Ted did wht he did.

He could have jettisoned A.J. Hawk already, I guess the Packer organization has a different view of A.J. Hawk then the fan-base here on Packershome does.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2012 7:50:58 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I.ve asked this question before, and never seem to get an answer.

Can anyone tell mewhy Ted Thompson cut A.J. Hawk and turned right around and resigned him to his current contract?

According to almost everyone here Hawk has underachieved and is overpaid.

I just want someone to tell me why Ted did wht he did.

He could have jettisoned A.J. Hawk already, I guess the Packer organization has a different view of A.J. Hawk then the fan-base here on Packershome does.

First of all, it's PackersHome.
Second of all, Ted Thompson is human.

I think A.J. Hawk is exactly what everyone said he was prior to the draft. A player who has a low ceiling, but is a steady player. I think quite a few fans are hell bent on him being a 5th overall pick and expect him to be Demarcaus Ware and anything short of that is BUST. Hawk's been a solid LB, but as his coach has said ... needs to ramp up his game and play on instincts, not think an react.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#29 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:24:32 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I think Packers would be better off trying to trade Hawk if anything.

If I am correct, Packers cut Hawk next year and the 4.8 mil signing bonus money(1.6 mill 2013-14-15) will have to go against the cap in 2013 anyway.

Might as well keep him on, Packers are not going to benefit that much from cutting him.

I think you are gonna see these guys re-work their contracts to free up the money needed to sign the players who are going to be FA's next year.

Packers don't sign Greg Jennings to an extension during this year then pretty good odds he will be gone next year.

Somebody will pay him top dollar and The Packers just will not be able to afford him.

J. Finley needs to prove he can stay healthy and have a big year before he can demand top dollar. IMHO this is a wait and see issue.

I dunno, I don't think A.J. Hawk is going to be cut. If Desmond Bishop and D.J. Smith didn't go down with severe injuries, and Brad Jones was adequate, then maybe. That's not the case though.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed