You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 8:20:21 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

Interesting.. why the interest in backs with Grant,Wynn, Jackson and Lumpkin all aboard?

Smokescreen?

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Green Bay Packers exec praises Navy running back Eric Kettani, but notes his military obligations could harm his draft stock.

DD.comment: Ever since we've been going to the Senior Bowl, we've noted only two fullbacks are selected -- one for the North and one for the South. So considering Tony Fiametta and Quinn Johnson are "true fullbacks", is it safe to assume N.F.L. scouts see Kettani as a power running back (hybrid FB/RB) after he ran a 4.59 at 243 pounds for them at Navy's junior day? Still, regardless of how well he does at the Senior Bowl and the Combine, he'll have a tough time being drafted higher than round 7 due to his military obligation, if recent history is a guide:
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 8:27:48 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

More notes on the Senior Bowl... two of note.

Risers and Falling....

Quote:
Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi: B.J. Raji is getting plenty of hype for his ability to collapse the pocket or penetrate on zone running plays, and rightly so. His play Wednesday will earn him praise from many media outlets. But Jerry's strength and quickness inside has not gone unnoticed by scouts, making it likely he'll be a mid-to-late first-round pick.

Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi: If anyone still doubted Oher's potential as a dominant NFL left tackle, Wednesday's practice quieted that nonsense. His athleticism is unmistakable and he plays with enough aggression to sustain his block through the whistle. He's the best player on the field

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#18 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 8:30:40 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Hmmm.. 3-4 and Jerry eh.. say it isn't so.

Kirwin Notes...

Quote:
Raji is a classic "three-technique" player who has first-step quickness to penetrate into the backfield and disrupt an offense. He's only 6-foot-1, but he's 334 pounds and is so powerful in the lower body that he looks unblockable at times. He's putting on the same kind of show we saw last year from Sedrick Ellis (now with the Saints), but Raji is 30 pounds heavier. There are some solid guards and centers here, but Raji is having no problem beating them in one-on-one drills and in the team period of practice.

For all the excitement surrounding Raji, there might even be more for Jerry. He, too, is a powerful one-gap penetrator, perfectly suited for a 4-3 defense -- but he's a little taller (6-2) and also has teams with 3-4 defenses interested. Jerry can penetrate a gap with ease, shed a blocker and make it look like the guy in front of him never found the weight room.

UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:34:45 AM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 44

Would Jerry be a DE in our 3-4?
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline toronto_cheesehead  
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:37:19 AM(UTC)
toronto_cheesehead

Would Jerry be a DE in our 3-4?

Yep, and I must say, he's looked very impressive in Senior Bowl practices. Ziggy Hood looked good on Monday too, but I haven't woken up early enough to watch the rest of his squad's practices this week.
blank
Offline porky88  
#21 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:42:43 AM(UTC)
porky88

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 284

Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#22 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:24:05 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

What does "struggles to play in space" mean? "In space" is one of those football cliches that I still don't understand.

Also, in your third paragraph, I think you meant to write "he may have cemented that" rather than "he may of cemented that."
UserPostedImage
Offline packer98  
#23 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:29:30 AM(UTC)
packer98

I guess with the Harrell experiment, I am not sold on BJ at #9. Seems to high for a DT. I am leaning toward an impact player either DE or LB at #9.
blank
Offline Rockmolder  
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:07:45 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Netherlands

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 215

Crap, the Senior Bowl was yesterday? The only college game that I actually like, and I missed it.

Anyway, such a shame that Moala's stock went up. I hope he'd be a steal early in the 2nd.
UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#25 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:42:08 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 337

Crap, the Senior Bowl was yesterday? The only college game that I actually like, and I missed it.

Anyway, such a shame that Moala's stock went up. I hope he'd be a steal early in the 2nd.

Rock, I think it fair to say you didn't miss much. Personally, I found far more value in reading the various critiques and catching glimpses of the practices. The biggest thing I got out of the game itself was the revelation that Mike McCarthy isn't the only guy to overuse the concept of "pad level". (You'd a had to have watched to catch that bit of humor)

I think the game itself was more of a reaffirmation of things that most already know, including Moala. Raji's stock actually went DOWN as a result of the game itself, only because he had been tearing up the competition in practice, and showed little impact during play. To me the storyline was Brown was a better running back than I thought, and I'm glad my team isn't looking for a quarterback this year, although obviously the best ones weren't even there.

People playing out of position, with little practice, restricted schemes, etc....to me it renders the game itself somewhat meaningless, and I suspect that there are more reasons for the scouts to leave prior to the game itself other than the fact it's on film.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline TheEngineer  
#26 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:00:29 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Practices? Could someone elaborate on what these practices are? I thought you normally don't practice immediately before games. Are they little scouting combine style exercises?
blank
Offline dfosterf  
#27 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:07:59 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 337

Practices? Could someone elaborate on what these practices are? I thought you normally don't practice immediately before games. Are they little scouting combine style exercises?

The JSOnline has an outstanding blog regarding "Senior Bowl Week", especially practices. I Didn't go back and re-read them, but I'm pretty sure Greg Bedard wrote them. Must read, imo.

Link:

JS Online
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline TheEngineer  
#28 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 12:20:35 PM(UTC)
TheEngineer

Interesting. Thanks for the link dfosterf.
blank