Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Online Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 7:49:12 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Jerel Worthy was starting to really come into his own towards the end of the season and then was lost in the Vikings game. Worthy had more snaps at DE on passing downs than any of the other DE on the Packers roster and netted 3 sacks. In the excuse game, I can't help wonder what importance he would have been to the Packers in the playoffs?
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:14:45 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Who knows. A stronger player on the line may have prevented a couple of those runs by kaepernick.
Online DoddPower  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:23:34 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 514

I've maintained that Jerel Worthy can be an effective NFL player. I'm not worried about him not lighting it up his rookie season. That's fairly typical, and I kind of expected it with him. With that being said, he was still decent at times, even while learning a completely new scheme and being played out of position, at times.

He's not an elite talent. Let's not kid ourselves. However, he had the potential to be a very effective penetrating pass rusher. He's quick, stout, and somewhat of a technician. He would likely be even better in a 4-3 defense, as he would have more opportunities. The main thing I worry about with Jerel Worthy is his opportunities, even if he can return 100% healthy (which probably won't be this upcoming season). The Packers now have a number of pass rushing only (at least close to only) defensive linemen, such as Mike Neal, Jerel Worthy, Mike Daniels, sometimes BJ Raji, and perhaps another will surface. This doesn't leave many opportunities for basically two spots in the nickle and dime packages. One can also add Datone Jones in that mix, as well. It's crowded, to say the least, and it's going to be somewhat difficult to get reps. I don't think Worthy at defensive end is the greatest idea most of the time, especially with Datone healthy. Perhaps he could work himself into that role, but I'm not really expecting it. If he could just focus on getting healthy and becoming an effective pass rusher, he'll have a spot on a team for several years to come.

My guess is if he doesn't stay with the Packers, he'll find his way to a 4-3 team and be a decent defensive tackle.
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:29:00 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

I think long term Worthy is very important to the Packers.. in terms of last season and against the Niners.. I would say he would have helped but not solved the issue.

The Packers edges of the defense were so poor in that game, that he would have had to disrupt the plays in the backfield with monumental portions to protect the soft edges.

I think the Packers are changing their MO on defense, I think we are going to see them put a paramount on linebacker speed across the board and going to try and make sure the edge backers understand how to set the edge. Walden was inconsistent at doing it, often jumping the inside too quickly. Even Matthews needs to improve at times. Perry should help, but we will see how he truly adapts to coverage in order to stay on the field.

I think Bishop was the first piece to go in that regard...

Back to Worthy... I think the Packers picked the right guy anchor that line for the next 5 + years in Worthy.. he reminds me of a younger Jolly in terms of a disrupter.. hopefully he will return in the same mold.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
brandland on 7/22/2013(UTC)
Offline agopackgo4  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:39:26 AM(UTC)
agopackgo4

Applause Received: 3

Worthy wouldn't have fixed jack in that playoff game vs SF last year. The Packers got bulldozed at times with him on the field. Their defensive problems go deeper than not having him.
brandland on 7/22/2013(UTC)
Online DoddPower  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 9:13:20 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,040
Applause Received: 514

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I think long term Worthy is very important to the Packers.. in terms of last season and against the Niners.. I would say he would have helped but not solved the issue.

The Packers edges of the defense were so poor in that game, that he would have had to disrupt the plays in the backfield with monumental portions to protect the soft edges.

I think the Packers are changing their MO on defense, I think we are going to see them put a paramount on linebacker speed across the board and going to try and make sure the edge backers understand how to set the edge. Walden was inconsistent at doing it, often jumping the inside too quickly. Even Matthews needs to improve at times. Perry should help, but we will see how he truly adapts to coverage in order to stay on the field.

I think Bishop was the first piece to go in that regard...

Back to Worthy... I think the Packers picked the right guy anchor that line for the next 5 + years in Worthy.. he reminds me of a younger Jolly in terms of a disrupter.. hopefully he will return in the same mold.

I just don't see Jerel Worthy being any kind of anchor on defense, such as Jolly was, and others have been. He's a pass-rushing defensive tackle, and that's about it. He can be pushed around easily at times, and has always appeared inconsistent. He's going to have to get MUCH stronger and disciplined if he wants to be any kind of main-stay in a 3-4 defense.

Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 9:26:13 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I just don't see Jerel Worthy being any kind of anchor on defense, such as Jolly was, and others have been. He's a pass-rushing defensive tackle, and that's about it. He can be pushed around easily at times, and has always appeared inconsistent. He's going to have to get MUCH stronger and disciplined if he wants to be any kind of main-stay in a 3-4 defense.

I guess I relate that to what I seen of him in college yearly.. the guy isn't a All Pro caliber player snap in and out, but I have seen him at times dominate a Wisconsin offensive line in which 4 of the 5 (RT) are now playing in the NFL. Yes the knock is consistency.. but not a lack of talent. My opinion anyway.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Online texaspackerbacker  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 9:31:30 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 452
Applause Received: 272

Jolly's uniqueness was the instinct to knock down passes - the original J.J. Swat. Other than that, he was nothing special. Worthy IMO hasn't shown anything special either so far, but he still could. He was impressive in college. I hope he gets to show something one way or the other this season because I think he is a large part of the decision to keep or let go Raji. I'd rather see the Packers have a less bulky but maybe stronger D-Line - Pickett and Raji gone in '14 with some combination of Worthy, Neal, Daniel in the lineup with Datone Jones.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 10:08:41 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 40
Applause Received: 244

Worthy did not impress me last year.

With a late season ACL his prospects for this year are not great either.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline OlHoss1884  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 11:56:17 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 58
Applause Received: 164

Last year the Rams played well, probably better than most, against her 49ers and Seahawks. I think part of this was that their defensive front got better penetration to mess things up in the backfield (Gore is not a make you miss guy and James is not a tackle breaker) and because their secondary sucked they played a lot of zone. Baltimore played much the same way.

The Packers weren't penetrating much to cause disruption, and they played man all game (backs to the line). I expect the game plan to be somewhat different this year against such teams and with a healthier, deeper line the play up front to be more effective.

Worthy is going to miss the first part of the season recovering from his injury so we won't see what effect he has on SF this year, either, unless we meet them in the playoffs.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 12:52:49 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 250
Applause Received: 312

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 Go to Quoted Post
Last year the Rams played well, probably better than most, against her 49ers and Seahawks. I think part of this was that their defensive front got better penetration to mess things up in the backfield (Gore is not a make you miss guy and James is not a tackle breaker) and because their secondary sucked they played a lot of zone. Baltimore played much the same way.

One of the rams defenders talked about that and said the key was simple controlling the edges of the defense, saying their DEs kicked the 49ers OT butt...

Where the Packers edge guys DE/OLB got their butts kicked against the 49ers.

Matthews held his own but the DE to his side didn't making him do more than his role which open up a hole in his lane.

Pickett held his own but he doesn't have the quickness nor speed to stop the edge run to the outside where Walden was HORRIBLE.

Writing this makes me wonder.... if Picket and Matthews were on the same side, would they of been able to shut down that side? ... forcing the 49ers to go to the other side / middle where the defense could attempt to load up on? Just a thought...
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 1:55:12 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

He's a 2nd round pick. #19 in R2. He must produce. Had a difficult start, but was making some progress. All I want is to see him progress next season. Not pushing for him to play at all this year. Give him a year post surgery, and see what the kid can really do. I'm hopeful. I like him. He's shown virtually nothing thusfar to be honest... I was disappointed with his 2012.

Message modified by user Friday, July 19, 2013 2:10:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline brandland  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 8:14:35 PM(UTC)
brandland

United States

Applause Given: 10
Applause Received: 11

i think next year when he is at 100% he will be better than he was last year. he has the right size and he did get 2 sacks i think . that offense the niners put on us was never used til that game . they knew if they went in and played like they did with smith their new qb would not have been able to stay up with rodgers. they studied our defense and then the coach went into his old stanford playbook and unleashed it. i just dont think it will work this time around with crabtree out and gore questionable. who knows we may go in ready for the read option and they go to old fashion football
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 8:54:39 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 652

Originally Posted by: brandland Go to Quoted Post
i think next year when he is at 100% he will be better than he was last year. he has the right size and he did get 2 sacks i think . that offense the niners put on us was never used til that game . they knew if they went in and played like they did with smith their new qb would not have been able to stay up with rodgers. they studied our defense and then the coach went into his old stanford playbook and unleashed it. i just dont think it will work this time around with crabtree out and gore questionable. who knows we may go in ready for the read option and they go to old fashion football

Kaepernick is gonna get concussed, and that will be the end of the Read Option.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra on 7/23/2013(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:05:34 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 354

Nerdmann haha...

Anyway I am actually looking more at Neal and Daniels this year to contribute but look to be pleasantly surprised if Worthy makes some positive noise.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Rss Feed