You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline OlHoss1884  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:14:37 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 26
Applause Received: 97

Specifically, he said that Eli will be regarded as better than Peyton because he has more rings. Jamie Dukes has echoed this asking rhetorically "which is a better indicator of greatness, MVP's or Championships?"

I for one am getting really sick of this stupid argument. Championships do NOT determine who is the better QB. They are, like anything else, a factor, but far from the only one. A great QB with a terrible defense will not win championships. Likewise an average QB with a great defense CAN win a championship.

Marino
Kelly
Tarkenton
Fouts
Moon

I will take them over Hostetler, Johnson, Dilfer, Williams, McMahaon any given Sunday. The whole count the rings thing is the kind of dumb argument people like Steelers fans make to rationalize why Bradshaw is supposed to be better than anyone.

I would submit that anyone who resorts to that argument, all other things being clearly unequal, is already admitting they a) have lost the argument and b) really don't know football.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
thanks Post received 2 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 7/20/2013(UTC), DakotaT on 7/20/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:39:19 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,740
Applause Received: 1,790

I don't think I seen Terry "4 rings" Bradshaw mentioned ...

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline OlHoss1884  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:23:36 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I don't think I seen Terry "4 rings" Bradshaw mentioned ...

In what context? The 5 I listed never won a upper Bowl, the second 5 did. In the case of Bradshaw there is an argument to be made that he was an all time great. In my recollection he was there with Stabler as the best AFC QB during the 70s. I am just saying that rings are not the penultimate argument in determining who was the best, unless all else is kind of equal. Based on that logic, Robert Horry was better than Jordan, and Luc Longley was better than Wilt Chamberlain. Or Tim Wakefield was better than Cy Young and Scooter Rizzuto was better than Babe Ruth.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Offline Wade  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:33:50 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 560
Applause Received: 587

Winning a ring doesn't make a "great" quarterback. Winning three or more does.

Dilfer wasn't. Williams wasn't. Starr was. Unitas was.

Should you be considered a "great" quarterback if you win none at all? That's a lot tougher call for me.

I do know I'd rather have a team led by Starr or Unitas or, yes, a team led by Bradshaw, than a team led by Marino. Marino to me is the poster boy for the proposition that "stats don't make greatness."
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Wade  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:36:05 AM(UTC)
Wade

Oh, and:
1. Tiki Barber was not a great player.
2. Tiki Barber is not someone whose opinion is worth a whole heckuva lot.

Big Grin
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline OlHoss1884  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 7:24:21 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Though I would add this...Marino was no doubt a great quarterback. His teams suffered from mediocre defense through much of his tenure, especially toward the later part of Shula's career, when he wouldn't can his DC (Tom Olividatti) out of loyalty.

To me I think it comes down to who do you pick to be your guy in an all time draft to build your team around and I think most people would have the 5 I mentioned in addition to guys you mention somewhere in that list. And I doubt many of them would honestly pick an Eli Manning ahead of any of them, clutch in the playoffs or not.
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:56:44 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 99
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Winning a ring doesn't make a "great" quarterback. Winning three or more does.

Dilfer wasn't. Williams wasn't. Starr was. Unitas was.

Should you be considered a "great" quarterback if you win none at all? That's a lot tougher call for me.

I do know I'd rather have a team led by Starr or Unitas or, yes, a team led by Bradshaw, than a team led by Marino. Marino to me is the poster boy for the proposition that "stats don't make greatness."

I don't buy that at all. That is like saying John Elway was a greater QB in the twilight of his career than in his prime based on the fact he finally won the Superbowl and finally had a complete team in front of him and a little luck.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline Wade  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:09:10 PM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
I don't buy that at all. That is like saying John Elways was a greater QB in the twilight of his career than in his prime based on the fact he finally won the Superbowl and finally had a complete team in front of him and a little luck.

Actually, I didn't say anything re: Elway at all. I said that one super bowl win was not enough, by itself to qualify as "great". And I said three or more did.

Indeed, part of the reason I was silent on how to interpret "two SB wins" was my not wanting to speak to Elway. To my mind, Elway was overrated throughout his career. Despite his HOF position and his general acclaim, I wouldn't put him in the top 25 list.

Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:21:03 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 99
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Actually, I didn't say anything re: Elway at all. I said that one super bowl win was not enough, by itself to qualify as "great". And I said three or more did.

Indeed, part of the reason I was silent on how to interpret "two SB wins" was my not wanting to speak to Elway. To my mind, Elway was overrated throughout his career. Despite his HOF position and his general acclaim, I wouldn't put him in the top 25 list.

No you said "Should you be considered a "great" quarterback if you win none at all? That's a lot tougher call for me." To me it is not, because Elway was fucking great way before he won a Superbowl.

Top 25 what? Of all time? QBs?
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline OlHoss1884  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:20:35 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Here's my list, in no particular order:

Graham
Baugh
Luckman
Unitas
Starr
P. Manning
Brady
Staubach
Marino
Elway
Bradshaw
Aikman
Favre
Tarkenton
Montana
Young
Fouts
Kelly
Moon
Stabler
Herber
Brees
Layne
Van Brocklin
and I reserve the last spot for A-Rod, but might be too short a career at this point to count.