Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline yooperfan  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 3:13:49 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 561
Applause Received: 255

Today, June 14th is Flag Day.
If you have an American Flag please display your flag proudly.
This is also a good time to refresh yourself on appropriate flag etiquette.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 6/14/2013(UTC), Packerchick on 6/14/2013(UTC), wpr on 6/14/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 5:09:43 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,880
Applause Received: 1,392

yep. I have been lax. I use to put it out every day and then stopped over the winter. bad me.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 4:42:07 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 177
Applause Received: 394

Old guy comes into the Home Depot about two weeks ago. Here in Pennsylvania, we have a lot of vets, and they like to display it proudly, usually with a license plate, and/or a hat.

I've seen 'em all, and due to my background, I pay attention to such matters.

About 6:45 AM this one morning, in walks an old guy. His hat is a slight bit different. It says, "Iwo Jima vet" .

I said to him, "Where were you when they raised the flags?"

He said, "Less than 50 yards away, both times". I knew I was talking to a Marine, right there and then. (Coulda been a corpsman, after all, he was alive-not fair-just editorializing) Many sailors saw "the" flag raising... from a boat...

http://www.bing.com/imag...2EB5&selectedIndex=2

and the iconic one...

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/t...p;h=188&c=7&rs=1

I asked him what his MOS was. He told me he was an 0331. I almost shit myself. I'd bet he's gotta be about the last machine-gunner alive from Iwo. Not many got off that island in the first place. I said, "Not many of you walked off Iwo". His response, "I didn't, I was carried off, and damn lucky for that. "

I told my boss about him, as he happened to come by while the old guy was still there. He went up and gave him the 89 bucks worth of stuff in his cart.

Here in Pennsylvania, we have various license plates for military service. The most common one being the "purple heart" tag. This gentleman had a purple heart on his tag, but it was different. It had a "V" in the heart, and he also had a Navy Crosses on the tag. It didn't end there... In smaller print, it had, "Guadalcanal, Saipan, Iwo Jima" You can google that sequence of events to find out just how profound it was for me to be looking at this old man.

Amazing, considering his MOS

The personalization read, "On Iwo".

That man saw both flags raised up on Mt. Surabachi, amazing he lived long enough to see it, absolutely amazing he lived to tell about it, amazing he is still alive today.

That was my flag day, though a bit early.

Edited by user Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:14:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 6/16/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:17:26 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

What a man. I wish I had met him too. I have read the stories before but I still can not fathom what he lived thru. It sure makes you want to punch someone in the face when they bitch that their latte does not have enough foam.

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:26:40 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
What a man. I wish I had met him too. I have read the stories before but I still can not fathom what he lived thru. It sure makes you want to punch someone in the face when they bitch that their latte does not have enough foam.

What a great gift. The man held the 2nd most dangerous job on earth at that particular time, with the world at war. The most dangerous job was a Japanese machine gunner, and not one of them survived to my knowledge, in any of the 3 battles depicted on his license plate. Not one. Some Russkies might argue, but I believe the US Marines machine gunners have a good case.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:38:24 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
What a great gift. The man held the 2nd most dangerous job on earth at that particular time, with the world at war. The most dangerous job was a Japanese machine gunner, and not one of them survived to my knowledge, in any of the 3 battles depicted on his license plate. Not one. Some Russkies might argue, but I believe the US Marines have a good case.

I doubt any Japanese machine gunners survived but then most of their men survived. That is what made it so horrific when our men had to fight them. If they are willing to die they will do a whole lot more shit than a soldier who wants to see his wife again.

A book you have to read is James Bradley's (Flag of Our Fathers) Flyboys. He wrote about the men who flew the bombing runs on Chichi Jima. He ties it into Iwo. He brings President Bush into the story. It is mainly about the fliers who were shot down and captured.

UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:39:35 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 416
Applause Received: 245

I'm not familar with TWO flag raisings on Iwo Jima. What was the other?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline dfosterf  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:41:37 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

I did read that book. Great book. To our younger members...

Books are these things that go on for more than one page. Laughing
UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:42:22 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I'm not familar with TWO flag raisings on Iwo Jima. What was the other?

I linked the 1st one. Here's the link again...

http://www.bing.com/imag...5&selectedIndex=Flag wasn't big enough for the squid REMFS to see from their boats (Semi-editorializing again, lol)

Edited by user Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:01:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:44:53 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I linked the 1st one. Here's the link again...

http://www.bing.com/imag...5&selectedIndex=Flag wasn't big enough for the squid REMFS to see from their boats (Semi-editorializing again, lol)

don't forget Photo op too.

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:53:45 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
don't forget Photo op too.

Quote:
So what really happened? According to accounts by Rosenthal, which are backed up by movie footage of the event - Joe Rosenthal hiked up the dormant volcano Mount Suribachi with Pfc. Bob Campbell and Staff Sgt. Bill Genaust (both photographers for the Marine Corps). Part of the way up the mountain the group met Sgt. Lou Lowery, a photographer for Leatherneck magazine and a few more Marines. Lowery told them that the flag was already raised but they should go on up for the view. When Rosenthal and the others got to the top of the mountain, Rosenthal tried to find the men who originally raised the flag for a group shot with the already raised flag. When he was unsuccessful in finding them he moved on to focus his attention on a group that was getting ready to put up a second flag. Although the exact details aren't known, the Marine command had decided to replace the first flag with a larger one. Rosenthal originally tried to capture both flags in motion (one going up and the other down) but didn't have any luck getting the angle he wanted. At that point Rosenthal moved about 35 feet away for a wider view of the scene. Because of the slope of the ground and Rosenthal's short stature the ground blocked some of his view so he piled up rocks and a discarded Japanese sandbag to stand on. Other photographers were gathered in the same general area, including Staff Sgt. Bill Genaust who was shooting movie footage. Rosenthal snapped his photo as other photographers shot as well.

It is Staff Sgt. Genaust's video footage that shows how events unfolded and that Rosenthal was not staging the flag raising, but the obviously posed "Gung Ho" group shot.

The most iconic image of Americans at war (and the display of pride with a flag-raising) was a "re-do" , lol I would not have wanted to be there, though, as concurrent and subsequent events proved. There was no "fake" in any of that, or the image itself, for that matter. They raised that flag in a very dangerous place and time. Both times.

Edited by user Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:11:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:23:51 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

The most iconic image of Americans at war (and the display of pride with a flag-raising) was a "re-do" , lol I would not have wanted to be there, though, as concurrent and subsequent events proved. There was no "fake" in any of that, or the image itself, for that matter. They raised that flag in a very dangerous place and time. Both times.

yes it was. I didn't mean to imply the 2nd one wasn't still dangerous. Just that it was more of a photo op than the first one. I know they were still taking fire.

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:39:39 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

27 Medals of Honor were awarded for valor in that single battle for Iwo Jima. I knew you weren't implying anything like that.

Historians will tell you it could have been many, many more than that.

Some perspective-- Amongst all the Armed services, 4 Medals of Honor have been awarded as a result of our war in Iraq over all these years, 7 in Afghanistan.

D-day Invasion 4 Medals of Honor.

That battle for Iwo was one month and one week long.

Edited by user Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:21:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 6/15/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2013 8:11:31 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

It may have been 6 weeks long but it was carnage.
Quote:

Strength
70,000 U.S. Marines, U.S. Navy corpsmen and others, and U.S. Army Air Forces airmen and nurses
Casualties and losses
6,821 killed
2 captured but recovered[2]
19,217 wounded[1]

Japanese
Strength 22,060[1]
21,844 killed[1]
216 taken prisoner[1] some of whom were captured because they had been knocked unconscious or otherwise disabled.

wiki

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed