Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:15:09 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JSOnline wrote:
Green Bay --- It appears the Green Bay Packers won't be giving Desmond Bishop a chance to pursue that goal written in his notebook after all.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:28:19 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,035
Applause Received: 1,472

whoa nellie.
I knew something was brewing when the Packers gave Jones the big contract but Bishop when healthy was such a big time player.

What I will be most sorry about is that he won't make it to the White House with the Packers, thus ever. (Remember he discovered that he left his ID back on the plane when the bus got to the WH.)

UserPostedImage

Offline djcubez  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:34:03 PM(UTC)
djcubez

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 13

Bishop always seemed slow/flat-footed to me. He was a good tackler but slow. Hawk is kind of the same way. Jones seems quicker and better suited for a sideline-to-sideline role. Still, I'm curious why we want to rid ourselves of him.

EDIT: This could also mean the coaches really like one of the younger guys on the roster. Say a Terrell Manning.
Check out my music webpage - Click Here
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 6/11/2013(UTC)
Online nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:44:15 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,630
Applause Received: 654

They tried to trade him during the draft.

He's a solid thumper, but not much in pass defense. It might even be more that they're not convinced he can come back from this injury.

Hawk's nothing special in coverage himself, but I think he's at least a little faster. With Hawk it's more like he's uncoordinated playing the ball in the air.

Hawk's also on the field every Sunday. (Not to jinx him of course.)
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:10:37 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 332
Applause Received: 443

WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN' ON OUT HERE???
(Happy BirthDay Vince)

First D.J. Smith now Bishop!!!!

FIRE TED THOMPSON!!!!!
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:12:21 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 457
Applause Received: 275

damn damn damn - I really hate this. Bishop is head and shoulders better than Brad Jones and a good deal better than Hawk also. I hope they can work out something similar to what they got Hawk to settle for.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:05:52 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 40
Applause Received: 246

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 4:04:57 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

JerseyAl wrote:
If the reports are true, another member of the Green Bay Packers’ Super Bowl XLV-winning team is on his way out of Titletown. Jason Wilde of ESPN Milwaukee tweeted Tuesday evening that, barring a trade or a restructured deal, that the Packers will likely be parting ways with ILB Desmond Bishop.  It’s not clear what [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 4:32:14 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

It all depends on which Bishop we are talking about. Pre injury he was great. Post injury we don't know. He doesn't seem to be recovering quickly enough based on these reports, and that can easily spell his release.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:05:10 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Without Desmond Bishop, who the hell is going to overcome the deficiencies of A.J. Hawk?

Bishop is easily the most physical defensive player the Packers have. Releasing him would be foolish. Trading him ... that's a different story.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:12:11 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Without Desmond Bishop, who the hell is going to overcome the deficiencies of A.J. Hawk?

Bishop is easily the most physical defensive player the Packers have. Releasing him would be foolish. Trading him ... that's a different story.

Any team looking at the situation will see zero value if the Packers' best ILB is not wanted back post injury. That was a severe injury Bishop suffered, and what would anyone trade away for that risk?

This is a bummer, but an even bigger bummer to me is seeing Hawk and Jones at the top of our depth chart at ILB.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:15:09 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Any team looking at the situation will see zero value if the Packers' best ILB is not wanted back post injury. That was a severe injury Bishop suffered, and what would anyone trade away for that risk?

This is a bummer, but an even bigger bummer to me is seeing Hawk and Jones at the top of our depth chart at ILB.

Releasing = nothing in return.
Trading = SOMETHING in return.

I prefer something, over nothing. I'm a crazy fool like that!
UserPostedImage
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:28:08 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 357
Applause Received: 440

Wow, that is uh, surprising to say the least! All aboard the Terrell Manning train! Dancing
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:41:19 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

NationalFootballPost wrote:
Desmond Bishop probably will not have too much trouble finding a new home. But things would have been much easier for him if he was cut loose much earlier in the offseason.

The Green Bay Packers are expected to part ways with the inside linebacker unless there is an unexpected contract restructure. Otherwise, the team will release him if he is not traded, something that is unlikely given his contract status. Jason Wilde of ESPN Wisconsin first reported the news.

Bishop missed the entire 2012 season with a ruptured hamstring tendon suffered in a preseason game. He has yet to take part in the team’s OTA’s so the Packers have apparently not deemed him fully healthy yet.

Bishop became expendable when Brad Jones flourished in his place. Jones was rewarded with an $11.75 million, three-year contract this offseason.

Bishop’s career took off in 2010 and 2011 but his base salary of $3.464 million this season made him expendable. We’ll see what shakes out for him.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

This story originally appeared on Nationalfootballpost.com
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:41:55 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

I've read that the Packers are going to be going to the 3-3-5 alignment more, meaning only one inside linebacker on the field for about 65% of the plays. Seems to me, since Brad Jones is the best coverage guy, the choice came down to Hawk over Bishop. I think they are all mediocre so dumping Bishop isn't going to keep me up nights, but I will always remember his game saving tackle on Desean Jackson against the Eagles in 2010.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed