Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:38:28 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Around 8:30 we heard the local coyote pack howling after a kill. It seemed like a pretty large pack. I told Rhonda that they were pretty close. I asked if she was ready to come inside. She wanted to stay a little longer. I was thinking how much more difficult it would be to make our way through the yard in the dark with guests stopping by.

We were amazed they were out and active so early. We sat there watching a fire in the pit I wondered if they took their kill back into the woods. 15 minutes later after I putting a little more wood on the fire to get it going a little better we heard rustling in the trees just behind our swing. (I was glad there were leaves on the ground.)

It was time to go in. I had Rhonda and the dog head for the house while I stood there and watched and listened and of course hollered at them a little. I was glad there was still a small amount of light in the sky. It made keeping an eye Rhonda and the dog a little easier.

I put the grate over the top backed off then hustled to the back door. That was fun.

I realize those of you who live in the North Woods run into this a little more often than I do.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Dulak on 5/23/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:17:19 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Cool story and glad that was the extent of your experience.

One of my favorite things at the cabin is to sit and listen to the movements of packs.. coyotes and wolves.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:11:37 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Cool story and glad that was the extent of your experience.

One of my favorite things at the cabin is to sit and listen to the movements of packs.. coyotes and wolves.

yeah I like to listen to them work together to get their prey or when they yip. When I am in the house that is.

UserPostedImage

Offline Dulak  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:56:29 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 98

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Around 8:30 we heard the local coyote pack howling after a kill. It seemed like a pretty large pack. I told Rhonda that they were pretty close. I asked if she was ready to come inside. She wanted to stay a little longer. I was thinking how much more difficult it would be to make our way through the yard in the dark with guests stopping by.

We were amazed they were out and active so early. We sat there watching a fire in the pit I wondered if they took their kill back into the woods. 15 minutes later after I putting a little more wood on the fire to get it going a little better we heard rustling in the trees just behind our swing. (I was glad there were leaves on the ground.)

It was time to go in. I had Rhonda and the dog head for the house while I stood there and watched and listened and of course hollered at them a little. I was glad there was still a small amount of light in the sky. It made keeping an eye Rhonda and the dog a little easier.

I put the grate over the top backed off then hustled to the back door. That was fun.

I realize those of you who live in the North Woods run into this a little more often than I do.

nice to hear stories like this ... instead of stories like that http://news.yahoo.com/gr...te-attack-182348926.html
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:15:54 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Nothing is worse than the pack of Neocon wolves that run around in Packerhome.

At least you guys don't have mountain lions roaming around 1/2 mile from your houses. I don't mind the coyotes, but mountain lions bring a little fear.

We have a couple large cats around.. been spotted as close as a couple miles from my house.. Bobcats.. I have lots of Bobs and a couple Lynx.. Timber wolves outnumber both.

Ranking the things I don't want to run into unarmed in my area:

1. Large Cat
2. Wolf Pack
3. Badger
4. Bear
5. Bobcat
6. Coyote
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:36:35 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

At least you guys don't have mountain lions roaming around 1/2 mile from your houses. I don't mind the coyotes, but mountain lions bring a little fear.

I am sorry with don't live in a forsaken wilderness like you do. There are wolves in the area even the occasional mt lion or two but they are hunted down and shot.

6-8 coyotes can be a problem.

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:24:04 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 642
Applause Received: 1,320

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I am sorry with don't live in a forsaken wilderness like you do. There are wolves in the area even the occasional mt lion or two but they are hunted down and shot.

6-8 coyotes can be a problem.

I wouldn't call ND a wilderness, more like a prairie. There is absolutely no reason mountain lions should be here with the exception of the Badlands. Theory is that they are being relocated here by Game and Fish. We do have a lot of coyotes though. Wolves get accidentally on purpose shot by farmers and promptly buried with anyone knowing.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:21:07 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I wouldn't call ND a wilderness,

I am so shocked.

edit- they have been relocating wolves into areas north of here. They migrated down the Mississippi River into more populated areas.

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed