Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:16:54 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 1,284
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

LombardiAve wrote:
As OTAs are about to begin this month, here at LombardiAve we have decided it would be a good time to take a closer look at each position on the Green Bay Packers roster. Over the next few weeks we will break down each position and discuss which players are safe from being cut, which players [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:53:47 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,878
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,292
Applause Received: 568

Originally Posted by: MintBaconDrivel Go to Quoted Post


Looks like a pretty good site. Is it new?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 3:59:42 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,527
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

You want two things from your backup(s) according to the Packer philosophy:

One obviously is insurance against the unthinkable. Nobody replaces Rodgers, but hopefully whoever can win - or at least not lose - a solid percentage of games if he is needed to play.

Two is like a cash crop on a farm - you hope you can have the guy rise to a level of being worth something significant in trade BEFORE he "spoils" - is eligible for free agency and you lose him with very little compensation to a team with money and need.

Harrell isn't quite ripe yet, but IMO there is still hope - like Hasselbeck, Flynn, and the others - another quality product from the folks at Packer QB Farm. Thus, I hope they can keep both him and Coleman one way or another this season.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 4:39:39 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,878
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,292
Applause Received: 568

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
You want two things from your backup(s) according to the Packer philosophy:

One obviously is insurance against the unthinkable. Nobody replaces Rodgers, but hopefully whoever can win - or at least not lose - a solid percentage of games if he is needed to play.

Two is like a cash crop on a farm - you hope you can have the guy rise to a level of being worth something significant in trade BEFORE he "spoils" - is eligible for free agency and you lose him with very little compensation to a team with money and need.

Harrell isn't quite ripe yet, but IMO there is still hope - like Hasselbeck, Flynn, and the others - another quality product from the folks at Packer QB Farm. Thus, I hope they can keep both him and Coleman one way or another this season.


Harrell is a career backup.

We don't know what Coleman's ceiling is yet. With Mike's QB school, it could be high.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline greengold  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 5:12:51 PM(UTC)
greengold

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 43
Joined: 5/11/2013(UTC)

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 7

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
you hope you can have the guy rise to a level of being worth something significant in trade BEFORE he "spoils" - is eligible for free agency and you lose him with very little compensation to a team with money and need.

Harrell isn't quite ripe yet, but IMO there is still hope ...Thus, I hope they can keep both him and Coleman one way or another this season.


I believe that window is closed on Mr. Harrell. This is the last year of his contract. He will be a RFA but since he was undrafted that doesn't help you much. If you really think he will be something special you would have to sign him to a long term deal this year before he hits free agency, then hope to trade him.

I tend to agree with the other poster, he is a career backup.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 5/18/2013(UTC)
Offline beast  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 6:17:44 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,604
Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: greengold Go to Quoted Post
I believe that window is closed on Mr. Harrell. This is the last year of his contract. He will be a RFA but since he was undrafted that doesn't help you much. If you really think he will be something special you would have to sign him to a long term deal this year before he hits free agency, then hope to trade him.

I tend to agree with the other poster, he is a career backup.


If he's an RFA then no big deal. If the Packers want him then he's probably stuck. Like shields (who was/is an RFA). Has Shields signed his deal yet or is he still an RFA? ... anyways no other team was willing to give up a 2nd round pick for Shields and sign him to a deal he would sign so he has resign with the Packers.

As for Harrell, I don't think he has the arm for the NFL. I know the back-up OL he has played with in preseason has been pretty bad, but even still I've seen nothing to say he's a for sure #2 guy or has any physical potential to grow...

Coleman on the other hand, he clearly has the raw physical tools to grow. The question about him is more can he get the mental side down. Which if he gets mentally close to Harrell then Harrell is gone. And I don't think Harrell can grow into something worth trading for.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 5/18/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 8:50:27 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,527
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

Regarding Harrell, didn't a lot of people say the same about Flynn - career backup/not strong arm? I tend to favor Coleman also - greater potential, however, it's not so much what use can we make of Harrell as what can we get for him in trade? It concerns me more that he will be an RFA, and hence little or no value in trade. That being the case, maybe we should just cut him in preseason and be done with it - and maybe concentrate on Brown as a #3.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline beast  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:11:15 PM(UTC)
beast

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,604
Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Regarding Harrell, didn't a lot of people say the same about Flynn - career backup/not strong arm?


Yes and so far those people are correct. Flynn hasn't been a starter yet. And the thing is Harrell hasn't even show a quarter of what Flynn showed... Flynn showed a little spark and potential every once in a while. Harrell hasn't shown much of anything.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
it's not so much what use can we make of Harrell as what can we get for him in trade?


huh? why would a team trade for Harrell? Harrell hasn't show enough to worth a team giving up a pick for him. And the upside hasn't look like it's there. I think teams would be more interested in drafted a 7th round rookie QB with more potential and coaching them up than Harrell.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
It concerns me more that he will be an RFA, and hence little or no value in trade. That being the case, maybe we should just cut him in preseason and be done with it - and maybe concentrate on Brown as a #3.


RFA is no big deal... 99% of the time if a team wants their RFA than they keep them. See Thompson with not letting Bush get away when he was an RFA and signed with the Titans. Ted Thompson matched it.

As far as Brown.... after the Packers drafted Coleman last year (becoming the 4th QB on the Packers roster at the time) Mike McCarthy said he's got into training camps with 4 or 5 QBs become and he doesn't prefer it because there isn't enough snaps to go around for everyone. And then the Packers cut the FA they picked up from the AFL.

So if they picked up Brown and are going with four this time, I take that as one of the two middle guys could be gone and Brown might be the new practice squad QB.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 5/19/2013(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:58:55 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,527
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

My point was, if Harrell signs with somebody else, it's doubtful the Packers get any compensation. Yeah, they could keep him, but I'm assuming after one more season of improvement for Coleman and maybe Brown, there's no way the Packers would match even a fairly low offer for Harrell.

I actually don't have near the low opinion of Harrell as a lot of people. I think he could step in and do an adequate job for the Packers or some other team, but I'd rather have Coleman holding the clipboard (do they even still do that?)
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:12:00 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,878
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,292
Applause Received: 568

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
My point was, if Harrell signs with somebody else, it's doubtful the Packers get any compensation. Yeah, they could keep him, but I'm assuming after one more season of improvement for Coleman and maybe Brown, there's no way the Packers would match even a fairly low offer for Harrell.

I actually don't have near the low opinion of Harrell as a lot of people. I think he could step in and do an adequate job for the Packers or some other team, but I'd rather have Coleman holding the clipboard (do they even still do that?)


You guys don't get it.

Harrell is the long-term backup. Coleman is the one we develop and trade for a 2 or 3.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:16:36 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Posts: 2,527
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 224

I don't disagree with you about Coleman, just not yet. As for Harrell, much worse QBs than him have started in the NFL, and I don't mean just a game or two. A guy named Dilfer comes to mind. MAYBE he is a career backup, but you say it like it's gospel.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 10:45:13 AM(UTC)
beast

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,604
Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 249

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
You guys don't get it.

Harrell is the long-term backup. Coleman is the one we develop and trade for a 2 or 3.


That would be interesting... but do you really see Mike McCarthy keeping 3 QBs on the main roster?

I think it's possible but very doubtful about it happening.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:37:43 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Posts: 2,277
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
That would be interesting... but do you really see Mike McCarthy keeping 3 QBs on the main roster?

I think it's possible but very doubtful about it happening.



I may be wrong, but I don't think Harrell is able to be put on the PS this year.


That alone will keep him #2, Coleman will be put back on the PS.

Now if another team shows interest in Coleman and it gets to the point where they make him an offer, Ted might be forced to make a decision whether to keep Harrell, or Coleman.

I agree, don't see 3qb's on final 53 man roster.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:54:53 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 7,239
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,294

There'll be an open competition for the #2 quarterback, and I think Coleman has a shot because of the strength of his arm. Noodle armed quarterbacks can only lead stacked teams to wins, not the other way around. So maybe it will come down to Harrell having a cerebral thing for Mike McCarthy choice in backup. The best thing to do is showcase one of them in preseason and hope to sucker some team into giving up a pick in next year's draft.

Emergency quarterbacks can be brought out of retirement, but if Rodgers goes down, our season is FUBAR anyway so why the concern about backups?
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 1:55:32 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,878
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,292
Applause Received: 568

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
There'll be an open competition for the #2 quarterback, and I think Coleman has a shot because of the strength of his arm. Noodle armed quarterbacks can only lead stacked teams to wins, not the other way around. So maybe it will come down to Harrell having a cerebral thing for Mike McCarthy choice in backup. The best thing to do is showcase one of them in preseason and hope to sucker some team into giving up a pick in next year's draft.

Emergency quarterbacks can be brought out of retirement, but if Rodgers goes down, our season is FUBAR anyway so why the concern about backups?


I agree that Coleman probably needs one more year under Mike before we can trade him and get some good value.

However, this IS a stacked team. With these new RBs, we don't NEED a guy who can throw deep all the time. I've actually made the case that a shorter, higher percentage offense might even (believe it or now) be better.

Not saying Harrell is better than Rodgers. It's just that it would force Mike to adhere to fundamentals.

But yes, Harrell's less likely to be picked up than Coleman if released. It seemed to me last preseason that they kind of hid Coleman from public view so other teams wouldn't have film on him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error



Recent Topics
19m / Random Babble / wpr

46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / musccy

8h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Wade

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dulak

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Random Babble / dhazer

22-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

21-Jul / Around The NFL / musccy

21-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21-Jul / Random Babble / wpr

20-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.