You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 7:14:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,739
Applause Received: 1,790

From Wiki...
"Redskin" is a racial descriptor for the indigenous peoples of the Americas and one of the color metaphors for race used in North America and Europe since European colonization of the Western Hemisphere."

I am quite ignorant on the name myself. I never knew of it to be racist.

Should they have to change their name or are we being too sensitive?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 7:31:37 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 352
Applause Received: 936

My high school's nickname is still the Redmen.. there has been a number of debates over the years and even open sessions with representatives from area Indian reservations. I attended a number of these event and I would say the majority of those representatives viewed the nickname as a honor to their hertitage verse being offended by it.

The majority of the push back came from groups not attached to the cultures of Indians but from more diverse backgrounds that opposed any racial persecution.

I personally haven't heard much lately on the push to change the nickname, it still is and remains Redmen.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 7:40:39 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,405
Applause Received: 1,192

People have been talking/complaining about their name since the 70's. In the most technical terms it probably is racist and should be changed. In reality I never ever think of it in a derogatory manner. It is just a name.

I was talking about other team nicknames at another site. When I was a kid people use to call others by their ethnic name all the time. I really depends who says it and how they say it. If my best friends laughed and called me wop or kraut I wouldn't care. If some local bully did it I probably would.

The reference I used was from the movie "Men of Honor." Early in the movie when Robert De Niro (Master Chief Billy Sunday) calls Cuba Gooding Jr. (Carl Brashear) "Cookie", it is the same as calling him a "N-----". At the end of the movie when Brashear is on trial and he is trying to get him to walk with the diving suit on and Sunday says, "Nine! The Navy Diver is not a fighting man, he is a salvage expert. Ten! If it is lost underwater, he finds it. If it's sunk, he brings it up. If it's in the way, he moves it. Eleven! If he's lucky, he will die young, 200 feet beneath the waves, for that is the closest he'll ever get to being a hero. Hell, I don't know why anybody would want to be a Navy Diver. Now you report to this line, Cookie! " there is nothing but respect and admiration for him.

if they force them to get rid of their name then Cleveland should get rid of the Indians and Chief Wahoo. Atlanta should get rid of the Braves and the tomahawk chop. (Which is probably the most offensive of all of them.)
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Formo  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 2:35:07 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

I'm really apathetic about these names. I can understand why any Native Americans would oppose them, and would never argue against their case. But at the same time, I'm not on a crusade to change it all if they aren't interested in it.

UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline JustinAVA182  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 3:53:15 PM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 29

if you change the logo into a potato it's good to go
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 4/5/2013(UTC), rabidgopher04 on 10/29/2013(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 11:38:31 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Never understood the problem with nicknames. Butchers aren't offended by the Packers, Americans by the Patriots, the Scandanavian countries by the Vikings, cowboys by the Cowboys, tall people by the Giants, miners by the 49'ers, church people by the Saints, Texans by the Texans, Paul Brown's family by the Browns, just the ones I can think of from pro football. There's many more in other sports and college. Nicknames are chosen for the positives they represent, strength, courage, loyalty, speed, power, athleticism, vision, etc. How people find that derogatory doesn't make sense to me. In most cases Native Americans don't have a problem with it and actually favor it. But the small noisey minority seem to get what they want.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 4 applause.
yooperfan on 4/7/2013(UTC), Zero2Cool on 4/8/2013(UTC), texaspackerbacker on 5/15/2013(UTC), rabidgopher04 on 5/15/2013(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:52:23 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
Never understood the problem with nicknames. Butchers aren't offended by the Packers, Americans by the Patriots, the Scandanavian countries by the Vikings, cowboys by the Cowboys, tall people by the Giants, miners by the 49'ers, church people by the Saints, Texans by the Texans, Paul Brown's family by the Browns, just the ones I can think of from pro football. There's many more in other sports and college. Nicknames are chosen for the positives they represent, strength, courage, loyalty, speed, power, athleticism, vision, etc. How people find that derogatory doesn't make sense to me. In most cases Native Americans don't have a problem with it and actually favor it. But the small noisey minority seem to get what they want.

We dummy down to the lowest level in all aspects of society. They give "participation awards" for anyone who shows up. In some park districts they don't keep score. Gimme a break.

They are afraid to hurt the feelings of fans like the Cubs and Vikings.

UserPostedImage

Offline texaspackerbacker  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:24:22 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 210

yeah hahaha. what should they be called? the Washington Indigenous People of the Americas? the IPOTAS - hey, that has a ring to it. Big game this week - the IPOTAS against the SLAPAHOS.

I guess we gotta get rid of Dakota too, right? Maybe change him to "Boy Named Sioux" - oops still too Indian hahaha.

Edited by user Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:35:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 4/6/2013(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:17:22 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 337

I hope they feel enough pressure to have to change the name.

I think that would be an excellent vehicle to display just how totally fucked up and whiny all this PC bullshit is, and the venue couldn't be better.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Packerchick on 5/15/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:50:24 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,739
Applause Received: 1,790

“It doesn’t bother me,” Robert Green, chief of the Patawomeck Tribe in Virginia, told Woody. “About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either.”

“I’m a Redskins fan, and I don’t think there’s any intention for [the nickname] to be derogatory,” said Kevin Brown, chief of the Pamunkey Tribe of Virginia. “The majority of the people in my tribe don’t have a problem with it. There are a few who do, and we respect their feelings.”

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:03:33 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

I also say, ask the Indians. I cast my 1/16 vote for being happy about names like Warriors, Redmen, Braves, Indians, and yes, even Redskins. That last one, however, may be traumatic to light-skinned white people who spend too much time in the sun. It gives them the Tomahawk Chap.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:15:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DakotaT  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:37:17 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,190

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I also say, ask the Indians. I cast my 1/16 vote for being happy about names like Warriors, Redmen, Braves, Indians, and yes, even Redskins. That last one, however, may be traumatic to light-skinned white people who spend too much time in the sun. It gives them the Tomahawk Chap.

Only relic insensitive assholes make satire out of political correctness. You and Gunny are two peas in a pod, only Gunny sometimes says the right things after he realizes what he said hurt someone's feelings.

I know Texas, in your Machiavellian philosophical views, the white man in the 1800's was totally just and correct in nearly completing our genocide of the Indians, because we brought a Gatling Gun to a knife fight.

Do you know what the difference between us and the Nazi's is? We confiscated land not just jewelry and bank accounts. And because we benefited financially in a very huge way - every penny and more is justified to buying off our shame in what we continue to give to the Indians. I'm surprised you or Gunny hasn't brought up how unfair the "perks" for the Indians are.
UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:04:35 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 99
Applause Received: 63

Chances are those who are offended most are whites who feel it is their duty to protect Aboriginals, unbeknownst to them that their paternalistic protection is in fact more racist than the Redskin nickname itself.

Before anyone calls me racist, I have an adopted Aboriginal sister.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
thanks Post received 2 applause.
texaspackerbacker on 5/15/2013(UTC), greengold on 5/15/2013(UTC)
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:29:33 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Oh it's so depressing and politically incorrect - POLITCS has again reared its ugly head (or is it headed its ugly rear) hahahahaha. Can't we all just get along. It was so peaceful (and damn boring) here for a few days.

Let's see, we got an Indian chief, a guy with an adopted Aboriginal sister (and I doubt he means Australian), and my 1/16 representing the Indian community in having no problem with such names. That's not counting Gunny and his sick agenda of hoping to make those poor misguided P.C. people look bad hahahahaha. And what do we have on the other side? A white man with a STRONG reputation of speaking with a forked tongue - who maliciously gave himself a screen name stolen from a great American tribe of people.

But yeah, Dakota, I and I assume Gunny also, plead guilty to bringing a Gatling Gun to a knife fight in our rhetorical battles with you hahahaha.
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:38:05 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Oh it's so depressing and politically incorrect - POLITCS has again reared its ugly head (or is it headed its ugly rear) hahahahaha. Can't we all just get along. It was so peaceful (and damn boring) here for a few days.

Let's see, we got an Indian chief, a guy with an adopted Aboriginal sister (and I doubt he means Australian), and my 1/16 representing the Indian community in having no problem with such names. That's not counting Gunny and his sick agenda of hoping to make those poor misguided P.C. people look bad hahahahaha. And what do we have on the other side? A white man with a STRONG reputation of speaking with a forked tongue - who maliciously gave himself a screen name stolen from a great American tribe of people.

But yeah, Dakota, I and I assume Gunny also, plead guilty to bringing a Gatling Gun to a knife fight in our rhetorical battles with you hahahaha.

My wife is 1/16 Cherokee. She is proud of her heritage as are my children. We have done a little research over the years but it is really hard to find much other than oral tradition. Great-great grandma was being deported from the Cherokee Nation on one of the Trail of Tears when she married a White man in Tennessee.

There are not a lot of records that link her to the family today. Just going through my wife's grandmother (she had siblings too.) Great-great grandma has nearly 200 decedents. My kids generation are having their own kids these days. I wouldn't be surprised if she already has 500 direct decedents when we include the other branches of the family. That said she probably was not much more than a concubine/servant when Great-great grandpa "bought"? her from someone. Nevertheless every single decedent that I or my wife has spoken to are proud of their Grandma no matter what the circumstances where or how many "greats" are in front of her name.

As for me, I have told Troy several times. I refuse to held responsible for the actions of another. My family was not in the US until after the Civil War. Most of them came over in the late 1880's or 90's. As far as direct line ancestors not a single one of them held any man or woman in bondage nor did they kill anybody.

Atrocities most certainly have been committed in this country as well as all the rest of the world. It has been going on since the beginning of time. Either everyone is culpable for all of them or only those who actually committed the deed are to be held responsible for their actions. It is my opinion that every man stands in judgment for their own actions and you don't pass the sins of the father unto their sons and their son's sons.

UserPostedImage