Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#31 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 7:28:15 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 652

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
not really


This team does not consistently have an advantage in time of possession. The stat means nothing to Mike. If anything, he goes out of his way to avoid it, because he is focuses more on scoring points, than he is on preventing the other team from scoring points.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#32 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:41:52 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
This team does not consistently have an advantage in time of possession. The stat means nothing to Mike. If anything, he goes out of his way to avoid it, because he is focuses more on scoring points, than he is on preventing the other team from scoring points.


The defense has more to do with that than the offense. They give away first downs like candy in a parade whether they've been on the field recently or not.
Offline DakotaT  
#33 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:09:56 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
The defense has more to do with that than the offense. They give away first downs like candy in a parade whether they've been on the field recently or not.


I agree with you Steve. This defense plays like spoiled children with the luxury of wealthy parents. There is no sense of urgency with them because they know the offense can score at will. It's time for an attitude adjustment. Getting Bishop and Perry back on the field will help. And I'm really hoping Jones brings the adjustment to the offensive line.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#34 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:18:17 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

The offense and the defense both play into tiring themselves and the other team. It's pretty agreeable that our offense is more talented than our defense, last year partly because of injuries. They need to think of the team as a whole. With that thought that's what made it disappointing when the offense didn't take the 5-8 yards when it was available on 1st or 2nd down, keep the weaker part of our team off the field. It was disappointing when the D kept putting the opponent in 3rd and long and let them keep getting 1st downs, that was lack of talent, partially due to injuries. As mentioned hopefully Jones and getting Perry, Moses, Bishop and whoever else back remedy that. Maybe with Lacy, Franklin and Harris plus Bulaga, Sherrod and young player development the offense controls the game even better we'll improve and be able to keep up with the SFs, Seattles, and Denvers of the the world.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline nerdmann  
#35 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:19:05 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,629
Applause Received: 652

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I agree with you Steve. This defense plays like spoiled children with the luxury of wealthy parents. There is no sense of urgency with them because they know the offense can score at will. It's time for an attitude adjustment. Getting Bishop and Perry back on the field will help. And I'm really hoping Jones brings the adjustment to the offensive line.


I thought our defense really stepped up last year.

First of all you have those young DBs. Hayward in particular. Then you've got DJ Smith and subsequently Brad Jones. Those guys stepped in and performed admirably.

Even on the DL. Sure we had some issues, there, but much of that is from playing guys like BJ Raji and Pickett too many snaps. But again, it's more important to be able to keep chucking it deep than to help the defense.

Hopefully the young RBs can bring safeties up, although if I'm a DCoord playing the Packers, I'll let them run all day. Because I know they won't, even if they can.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline steveishere  
#36 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:43:03 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I thought our defense really stepped up last year.

First of all you have those young DBs. Hayward in particular. Then you've got DJ Smith and subsequently Brad Jones. Those guys stepped in and performed admirably.

Even on the DL. Sure we had some issues, there, but much of that is from playing guys like BJ Raji and Pickett too many snaps. But again, it's more important to be able to keep chucking it deep than to help the defense.

Hopefully the young RBs can bring safeties up, although if I'm a DCoord playing the Packers, I'll let them run all day. Because I know they won't, even if they can.


Raji played 59% of snaps this year and Pickett was even less. I don't really see how that is playing too many snaps. You are wrong about the offense. They get a lot of first downs and don't turn the ball over or punt very often. When they do have to punt it usually ends with the defense in good field position. They don't go 3 and out very often either. All of this weighs more heavily than "well they score too fast sometimes". The defense doesn't have any excuses as far as the offense helping them out IMO. They don't get off the field because they don't get themselves off the field. The offense is high efficiency and one of the best in the league. If that's not good enough for the defense to operate with then it's the defense who has a problem.

Not to even mention your ridiculous "chucking it deep all the time" statements when 68% of Rodgers passes were within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. A whole 1% less than "dink and dunk" Tom Brady.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
DoddPower on 5/12/2013(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#37 Posted : Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:17:54 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 331
Applause Received: 443

Everyone is making valid points.

I did a little digging and as always Time of possession is important but the one stat that always tells the tale is turnover ratio.
These are Regular Season #'s only

............avg. time of possession....turnover ratio......record

2010.......... 32:01..............................+10................10-6

2011...........30:29..............................+24................15-1

2012...........30:26..............................+07................11-5

I believe if any of you want to do a little more digging, that you will find The Packers were in negegative #'s in both of their post season defeats the past 2 years.

Hopefully with the guys coming back from injury and with the guys who make the team for the 1st time, The Packers can get back to their ball-hawking, take away mode that seemed to work so well in 2011.

The defense does this, with the addition of Lacy and Franklin, That avg. time of possession could go up.

Gonna have to check at the end of the year, but I am betting if The Packers avg. T.O.P. is around 35:00 and their turnover ratio is +20 or higher, you will find them at the top of the olayoff pile.

Message modified by user Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:37:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Yerko

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Pack93z

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / GermanGilbert

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / AbbaGav

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker