Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:41:52 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JerseyAl wrote:
“A couple of days before the draft, I heard the Cowboys were a threat to take (Kyle) Long in the first round, perhaps if they moved down from the 18th pick. I later heard from league sources outside of Halas Hall that the Colts (24th pick) and Rams (22nd pick) were very interested in drafting him. [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:10:31 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,027
Applause Received: 1,467

1. I seriously doubt Uncle teddy would have taken Long in the first round.
2. who cares who else GB wanted to take. Under the right conditions GB "wanted" to take several hundred players who were on their board.

UserPostedImage

Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:24:03 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Personally, I thought the Bears really reached to get Kyle Long. He probably would have been there in R2...

Am I wrong? I think he only had 4 career starts at OG. Played only 1 year at Oregon, and injured his ankle. He was the 5th rated OG in the draft class, something like the 67th best overall player. And the Bears take him round 1! Bunch of stupid fuckers.

Awesome!
Offline Rockmolder  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:06:26 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 258

Of course those sounds are coming out of Halas Hall. Sounds like a pretty legitimate source as to who the Rams would pick.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 5/9/2013(UTC)
Offline beast  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:31:02 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 312

I think it all depends on weather teams thought Kyle Long could grow into a starting OT spot or not. Looking at only his upside, I think you could say yes... and that where teams might of wanted him in the late first round.

As just an OG for the long term, I'm not sure if people wanted him that high. Pre-draft it sounded like a number of people thought he'd have to switch to OG if he wanted to start early in his career but if he kept growing he could become a good starting OT.

I don't know why the Bears grabbed him, but I assumed it was to start at OG early on and maybe move to OT when they need him there / when/if he keeps growing and become a good fit for OT.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline warhawk  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 9:55:35 AM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 220

If I was going to make a guess along these lines I would say it was in the 3rd when the Center from Cal, Shwenke, or however it's spelled, went off right before we picked and Ted traded back to the 4th.
I thought he would be an upgrade in the middle and possibly a game 1 starter that would anchor for many years.

I don't see Ted taking a gamble in the 1st on Long at all and glad he didn't. The guy is a 50/50 shot. Happy the Bears reached and not us. Even if he does turn out why take that kind of risk so early?

I could see it possible considering Long may be able to step in at Guard early IF the Packers had no Guards at all and while Lang may not be a beast we certainly aren't in a stick-your-neck-out there place either.

Then you figure we got Jones and God knows we needed better players there more so than a guy that may be better than Lang. There's been hundreds of guys drafted with the hope they could eventually move outside that never saw the light of day at Tackle.
"The train is leaving the station."
yooperfan on 5/9/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 10:44:45 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

If I were the Bears, I would of took Zack Eifert from Notre Dame. Once again the Bears offense won't have any weapons except Marshall.

Now I thought Long was a 2nd to 3rd round pick. There was better players on the board for us even if he was there.. I'm not complaining with our pick!
Offline Yerko  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:21:29 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 247

I'm trying to figure out where a Chicago sports writer got any kind of information on what the Packers wanted to do in the 1st round when our very own can't even get that kind of information...

I think Long is going to be a great offensive lineman but I don't agree with where he was picked and I don't agree with what the Bears are planning to do with him. He has only played 4-5 games as a guard and that's where the Bears plan on playing him. He has the tools to be a starting OT and playing him at guard is going to ruin that, imo.

The Bears also ruined Gabe Carimi.
UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:48:27 AM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
If I were the Bears, I would of took Zack Eifert from Notre Dame. Once again the Bears offense won't have any weapons except Marshall.

When healthy RB Matt Forte' has been pretty good even with some questionable talent around him.

And IMO the Bears main problem has been their OL. Which they picked up two OL in the draft, OL Kyle Long and OL Jordan Mills (aka Tramon Williams cousin). To my eyes, I thought Mills looked like he had some potential to maybe play RT in the NFL.

Also they picked up a talented/complete TE from the Giants. He's a very good run blocker and get be a good receiver as well.

Plus 2nd round pick WR Alshon Jeffery should get better now that he's not a rookie no more.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:53:59 AM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I'm trying to figure out where a Chicago sports writer got any kind of information on what the Packers wanted to do in the 1st round when our very own can't even get that kind of information...

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's just people projecting from the outside...

There have been rumors the Packers wanted to draft a LT to protect Rodgers in this year draft... though I wasn't buying that theory then and I'm still not buying it.... and people think Long might grow into a very good LT.

1 + 1 = so Packers must being trying to upgrade LT type of thing... though I don't think it was correct, I think they were just guessing.

I don't think the Packers were about to invest another 1st round pick in an OT unless they knew he could be the starter very soon and/or he was clearly the best player on their board...

And I've said all pre-draft... with the depth this draft had at DL early on... I think DL would be the BPA late 1st on into the 2nd.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:27:56 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
When healthy RB Matt Forte' has been pretty good even with some questionable talent around him.

And IMO the Bears main problem has been their OL. Which they picked up two OL in the draft, OL Kyle Long and OL Jordan Mills (aka Tramon Williams cousin). To my eyes, I thought Mills looked like he had some potential to maybe play RT in the NFL.

Also they picked up a talented/complete TE from the Giants. He's a very good run blocker and get be a good receiver as well.

Plus 2nd round pick WR Alshon Jeffery should get better now that he's not a rookie no more.

I'll agree with Forte. But he's a liability waiting to happen.

I don't think Bennet is the answer for them at TE.. But the guy has a bad rep. He had 2 solid QBs and didn't have any good years till last year. And that didn't really have anything to write home about. Hardly a threat we'd need to worrie about.

Obviously like us, the Bears have problems on the OL. Who knows if Kyle Long is good or not. I'm not knocking his playing ablity. But I would of took the best TE in the draft over him in the first round. I bet they could of got him in the second round or someone else for good value.

Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:00:16 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
I'll agree with Forte. But he's a liability waiting to happen.

I don't think Bennet is the answer for them at TE.. But the guy has a bad rep. He had 2 solid QBs and didn't have any good years till last year. And that didn't really have anything to write home about. Hardly a threat we'd need to worrie about.

Obviously like us, the Bears have problems on the OL. Who knows if Kyle Long is good or not. I'm not knocking his playing ablity. But I would of took the best TE in the draft over him in the first round. I bet they could of got him in the second round or someone else for good value.

Romo is solid? ... also the Cowboys have Jason Witten which took away from Bennett . Last year Bennett had 55 catches for 626 years and 5 TDs... that's not bad at all.

Also I forgot they also signed the Saints LT. So they got a new LT and OG in Long ...

I agree with with what you're saying... I think a TE might of been more interesting for them... but they're the expects for their team.
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:50:21 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 356
Applause Received: 439

Bennett was really hot/cold last year for the Giants. 3 of his 5 TDs came in the first three games along with 4 games where he only had 1 reception in an offense with Manning, Cruz and a running game that averaged 4.6 yards a carry.

The real question isn't his talent but can he be consistent over a full season as a full time starter (last year was his first) especially going from the Giants to the Bears.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
DoddPower on 5/9/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 7:05:59 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

It's interesting to note that the Packers didn't move Bulaga and Sitton over until after the draft.

However, that doesn't mean they had anyone specific targeted for the position. I think that has more to do with Sherrod and Datko than anything else.

If somebody they liked fell to them, they might have nabbed him, but that doesn't mean they were targeting the position per se.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool on 5/9/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 9:53:24 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I just like having the opportunity to call the Bears a bunch of stupid fuckers... granted, those opportunities are plentiful, but I appreciate each and every one of them.

Maybe Long will be great, but they could have traded down for more picks as still nabbed him IMO. And that is a VERY BIG maybe, considering he only played 4 games total at Oregon, with the remainder of his college career either injured or playing JuCo on defense no less... That is shocking to me. Huge gamble.
Rss Feed