You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 5:49:42 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

ProFootballTalk wrote:
After making a major investment in their quarterback, the Packers are making a minor-looking change in how they protect him.

But if it keeps Aaron Rodgers upright, it will be quite significant.

According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers plan to flip right tackle Bryan Bulaga to left tackle, and swap left guard T.J. Lang and right guard Josh Sitton.

That will leave former left tackle Marshall Newhouse, last year’s undrafted rookie Don Barclay and 2011 first-rounder Derek Sherrod competing for the right tackle job.

“I sat down with Bryan and Josh on Monday and I told them I wanted to make the move to where they’re on the left side,” McCarthy said. “Those two are our most accomplished and experienced players. I told them about the responsibilities and my expectations about playing the left side.

“Some of the things we’ll want to get into schematically as we move forward. They were excited about it.”

Edited by moderator Friday, May 3, 2013 6:03:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 6:04:15 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,784

At first brush ... I do not like this. Josh Sitton was the best OL the Packers have and now they flip him?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline steveishere  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 6:20:57 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 598

Yeah I don't get it. If one side of your line wasn't good enough before then one side of your line still isn't good enough and now you've added at least 1 more unknown (Bulaga at LT). I could see flipping one of them just to have 1 of each of your two best linemen on each side but it seems to me like making a change just for the sake of changing something.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 6:23:19 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

I was not expecting this. I wanted to see what they had at LT with Bulaga, but now Sitton. I hope they think this will make the team better. My opinion on this is they want to run to the left more.. Best run blockers on the team. And of course want to protect dat franchise. Time to see if Bulaga has what it takes.
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 6:50:24 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 351
Applause Received: 932

I think the Packers honestly, for all the things they do right, having absolutely no fucking clue when it comes to building an offensive line.

My only hope now is that they do it and leave it be.. but honestly, I think Campen is a lost cause long ago. At the end of the day, my only real complaint about the Packers front office and staff.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 5 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 5/3/2013(UTC), play2win on 5/3/2013(UTC), Wade on 5/3/2013(UTC), yooperfan on 5/3/2013(UTC), macbob on 5/3/2013(UTC)
Offline Dulak  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 6:52:44 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Applause Given: 122
Applause Received: 80

sounds good to me; put 3 good players on the same side and have the blind side secure ... and like someone said can run toward that side.

not sure if bulaga will be the best left tackle but its time to try it out.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 5/3/2013(UTC)
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 7:03:55 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

JerseyAl wrote:
The Green Bay Packers aren't waiting until training camp to shuffle their offensive line. Details of the Packers new-look line can be found in this excellent Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel story by Tom Silverstein. To summarize: Bryan Bulaga moves from right tackle to left tackle Josh Sitton moves from right guard to left guard T.J. Lang moves from [...]
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 7:20:29 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,189

This is about putting Barclay on the field for run blocking, and not exposing him to the elite pass rushers in our division. I only hope the rookies get a legitimate shot at Center and Right Guard because Lang and EDS are not starters on a competent offensive line. They are at best backups who just so happen to be starters in Green Bay.

I don't understand Mike McCarthy and TT's loyalty to a weak coach like Campen! It really is a major flaw in a solid structured franchise.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx on 5/4/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 7:38:25 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

I think the point here is, if you give up 51 sacks there has to be some type of change. I think McCarthy ultimately made the call here. I think it's the right one. Instead of testing out Tackles on the Left side, try to give our best linemen an opportunity to succeed on the blind side of the line. Bulaga was drafted imo to be our LT it's time to see what the kid has. I think Newhouse will benefit from the right side, as Sherrod will. Both played there at times in 2011 and played fairly well. Barclay already shown he can play right tackle, so he's good there. EDS will fight for a job with Tretter and Bak. But I'm in favor of EDS right now. He made our running game better replacing Saturday last season. EDS is a better fit at C than G. He also only started a couple games. I say give him time before writing him off. Lang is Lang. He'll probably start, but i'm not to worried about him. Maybe this change will make Lang better. And if these rooks impress, he'll step his game up. Please Mike McCarthy please be right on this move.
Offline Pack93z  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 7:56:29 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

In place of constant musical chairs.. how about actually building a cohesive unit from the start. It sounds easy to just flip them from one side to the other, but it is not.

Your stance is different, your initial setup is different, your slide and balance is different (especially at tackle).

Your arm play is different, most people favor one hand over the other.. you have to account for that.

Your reads are different, albeit with our wide range of sets, probably not as bad as more static offenses.

Personally, MM, until you fix the root issue (Campen) this other shit is smoke and mirrors. Quit dicking with the personnel and fix the root issue... the position coach whom has struggled from day one to build a freaking solid unit.

I don't mind them trying to put their best players where they want them to be.. but do it from day one then. Playing musical chairs yearly just weakens the entire unit as a whole.

Campen seriously must be one hell of a guy or something, because time after time they give him more rope and talent to waste.

Edited by user Friday, May 3, 2013 8:10:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 5/3/2013(UTC), macbob on 5/3/2013(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 8:04:08 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 598

Yeah it seems to me that if this move was necessary then it should have been made last year. The only thing I can think of is maybe they really think Barclay is a better RT than the other guys are as LT and want to make a situation where he can get on the field. He's the only player on the roster at the moment who has had any real success as a RT besides Bulaga.
DoddPower on 5/3/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 8:09:34 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
In place of constant musical chairs.. how about actually building a cohesive unit from the start. It sounds easy to just flip them from one side to the other, but it is not.

Your stance is different, your initial setup is different, your slide and balance is different (especially at tackle).

Your arm play is different, most people favor one hand over the other.. you have to account for that.

Your reads are different, albeit with our wide range of sets, probably not as bad as more static offenses.

Personally, MM, until you fix the root issue (Campen) and this other shit is smoke and mirrors. Quit dicking with the personnel and fix the root issue... the position coach whom has struggled from day one to build a freaking solid unit.

I don't mind them trying to put their best players where they want them to be.. but do it from day one then. Playing musical chairs yearly just weakens the entire unit as a whole.

What do you suggest we do? Fire Campen and start the same line as last year that struggled all season long?

You bought up building a cohesive unit from the start. Well that's what they're doing. They wanna try something new, if it's musical chairs so be it. It's not like they've never played the other side before, otherwise they wouldn't have done this move.
This isn't really musical chairs either, i'd only say that if it was in the middle of a season. They are gonna start off with a group and see if it works.

Blame the coaches all you want it's not gonna fix it with the snap of someone elses fingers.

Offline DoddPower  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 8:24:31 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,452
Applause Received: 339

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
What do you suggest we do? Fire Campen and start the same line as last year that struggled all season long?

You bought up building a cohesive unit from the start. Well that's what they're doing. They wanna try something new, if it's musical chairs so be it. It's not like they've never played the other side before, otherwise they wouldn't have done this move.
This isn't really musical chairs either, i'd only say that if it was in the middle of a season. They are gonna start off with a group and see if it works.

Blame the coaches all you want it's not gonna fix it with the snap of someone elses fingers.

Yeah, better late than never. Sure, it could have been attempted earlier, but it wasn't. They have got to do what they can from here, regardless of what has happened in the past. It's not ideal, but reality hardly ever is. At least now they have an entire off season and season to grow. I don't think Bulaga will be any worse than Newhouse at LT, and very likely much better. I also think Newhouse has the potential to be a very solid RT and will be much more valuable there than at LT. This move could definitely pay off, but there will be some growing pains.
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 8:26:01 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 841
Applause Received: 547

Well, we know what they did last season did not work... at all. Personally, I don't think anyone outside of Sitton, Lang and Bulaga own a position on this line.

I could not agree more about the piss poor coaching by Campen, all these years. It has been horrible. McCarthy hasn't helped with pass happy schemes to start each season, putting all of his OL on their heels in pass blocking sets.

Please change the coaching!!! Get a consultant. Anything. I don't care. James Campen has shown very poorly as our OL coach since his installment there.
Offline Pack93z  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2013 8:55:32 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post

Yes.. I do think walking Campen now would be the best thing. Actually the only thing that will fix this unit for the balance of Mike McCarthy time here and or Rodgers.

I am not opposed to moving Bulaga to his nature position and one in which he was drafted to do.. left tackle. I believe it should have been done in 2011 or at worst last season if they were going to do so. Or if they felt Sherrod was a better long term fit, then what has changed if they have confidence he can return? Personally now, I think they are also hampering Newhouse's development as a tackle, if that is what they see him as.

But now they are going to basically start completely over.. which is even fine if it can be done effectively. There is the rub, Campen was the one that put together the current positioning and it has failed. He failed to develop prospect after prospect, yearly we see breakdown after breakdown in stunt pickups and reads.

Yearly they move guys around.. at least the past three years they left the right side alone for the most part and it became the strongest part of the unit. Not a coincidence.

So we are going to enter camp without a single player returning to the same position as last season.. EDS may find a home at Center instead of playing all three inside spots.

If you are going to start fresh, all I am saying is start fresh with a new position coach that actually can build a unit.

So yes, I suggest today to walk him from the position and find a candidate that can do the job. Because this solution hasn't proven to be successful.. jumbling the positions again is just another sign that it hasn't worked.

And if Mike McCarthy did force this move as suggested.. what further evidence does one need?

UserPostedImage
macbob on 5/3/2013(UTC)