Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline yooperfan  
#31 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:37:15 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 543
Applause Received: 251

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
yeah I am a little concerned too. But some experts have him rated pretty high.

Hey, he doesn't have to run far to pass block.
And they say he is good at that.

Offline Pack93z  
#32 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:40:21 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

I hope I am wrong.. but I call this a bust today. Injury prone.. don't like the pick. Blahhhhhh!
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 4/26/2013(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#33 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:44:30 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 543
Applause Received: 251

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I hope I am wrong.. but I call this a bust today. Injury prone.. don't like the pick. Blahhhhhh!

Oh shit!
I always count on you with your immense football knowledge to pick me up when I get pessimistic.

Online steveishere  
#34 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:50:15 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 876

Did he ever even miss any games?
Offline Jlapp  
#35 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:51:34 PM(UTC)
Jlapp

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 1

I would have hated taking Lacy in the first round (Just don't think RBs are that valuable in today's NFL), but getting a 23ish rated player late in the second after trading down I think is excellent value.

Hope he gives us a little more consistent running game. Without changing the blockers quite a bit the running game is never going to be that amazing but hopefully getting a little more consistent and being able to get some 3rd and shorts would be nice.
Offline Pack93z  
#36 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:55:00 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Oh shit!
I always count on you with your immense football knowledge to pick me up when I get pessimistic.

Sorry after a 16 hour day... this isn't the kid I wanted to see drafted and having to listen to it to boot.. at least not in the second. Especially with Ball there if they would have stayed put. For the "bounty" he got to trade down.. just not thrilled.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#37 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:03:43 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Did he ever even miss any games?

Knee concerns, foot, toes, ankles and hamstrings.. not a great combination for a back that ran behind an NFL line and didn't have to carry the load at Bama.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#38 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 8:29:22 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
"Yet at his pre-draft workout April 11, Lacy looked like those fatigued linebackers running on empty. At one point, the 5-foot-11, 231-pound back needed to step outside the Hank Crisp Indoor Facility to catch his breath. The workout raised immediate red flags. This was, essentially, Lacy's job interview. And he looked tired, out of shape."

Dude was coming off a hammy' only had a couple weeks to get his wind back.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline porky88  
#39 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 9:26:57 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 348

Sorry after a 16 hour day... this isn't the kid I wanted to see drafted and having to listen to it to boot.. at least not in the second. Especially with Ball there if they would have stayed put. For the "bounty" he got to trade down.. just not thrilled.

I liked him a little more than I did Ball. I do share some of your concerns, though.

There were 26 players in this draft better than Lacy, including Le'Veon Bell and Johnathan Franklin. The latter is still available. However, I do not believe there are 61 players better than Lacy. That’s why I’m not sour on this pick.

My comparison for Lacy is New England's Stevan Ridley. I think they have similar styles. Both are decisive with competent speed. They lack the extra gear, but they're capable of churning yardage out, while also converting the tough third and short situations. Of note, Lacy does not share Ridley’s ball security issues.

I do worry about him being the product of Alabama’s system, though I’m expecting a breakout year from Mark Ingram in New Orleans. Nevertheless, Lacy’s good enough to take pressure off Rodgers, while doing some of what I’ve already stated. That’s definitely progress.

Offline Yerko  
#40 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 10:53:56 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

While Lacy did have "injuries" they weren't injuries that kept him off the field. They were nagging injuries and he played through them all, certainly not hindering his performance. As for being out of shape at his workout, he was only a few weeks off the hamstring injury.

I applaud the Packers for this pick, especially after trading down and grabbing another pick in the process. I don't get the love for Montee Ball (other than he was a Badger). While these injuries that never took Lacy off the field are pointed out, I'll point out that the wear and tear on Ball is above and beyond Lacy. Ball's 924 career carries to Lacy's 355 career carries. Ball's 5,140 yards to Lacy's 2,402 yards.

Montee has had a concussion or two, right?

I always see talk about the shelf life of runningbacks and from college stats alone, I'd say Ball's shelf life is going to be shorter. With the Packers passing offense and teams using a two-back system, Lacy will do just fine with DuJuan Harris taking some snaps.

I guess my next question is at #61, what other options were there and worth that value? There are still a few quality offensive linemen, defensive linemen and OLB (and even WR). Maybe there was a safety, but was that safety going to be above and beyond what the Packers have?

Lacy is a gigantic steal at this spot and while he is used to running through big holes from Alabama's offensive line, so was Trent Richardson (a more recent Alabama RB). Cleveland's o-line has two good lineman (they are nothing special) like the Packers and Richardson did pretty well there.

We finally have a starting runningback.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 4/26/2013(UTC), evad04 on 4/26/2013(UTC), play2win on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline evad04  
#41 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2013 11:33:52 PM(UTC)
evad04

Applause Given: 62
Applause Received: 100

I'll be honest, I need to do my homework on Lacy. I never thought Thompson would take ANY running back at #26 in round one. And I certainly didn't figure he'd drop to the bottom of round two. So I never really looked up Lacy.

All I've known about him is Reader's Digest quality: He's a bruiser, he's had some durability issues and he was considered by many analysts the top running back in the draft.

I'm encouraged by the fact (as pointed out by Yerko) that his overall wear-and-tear is pretty meek. I don't see the Packers' RB situation as dire. I see it as below average. So adding a solid talent -- and a bruiser at that -- makes me feel like we've taken a Cedric Benson that plenty were excited about, and made him 22 years old.

And we got him at the ass end of round two. Not bad.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
play2win on 4/27/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#42 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:53:16 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: evad04 Go to Quoted Post
I'll be honest, I need to do my homework on Lacy. I never thought Thompson would take ANY running back at #26 in round one. And I certainly didn't figure he'd drop to the bottom of round two. So I never really looked up Lacy.

All I've known about him is Reader's Digest quality: He's a bruiser, he's had some durability issues and he was considered by many analysts the top running back in the draft.

I'm encouraged by the fact (as pointed out by Yerko) that his overall wear-and-tear is pretty meek. I don't see the Packers' RB situation as dire. I see it as below average. So adding a solid talent -- and a bruiser at that -- makes me feel like we've taken a Cedric Benson that plenty were excited about, and made him 22 years old.

And we got him at the ass end of round two. Not bad.

I've heard him compared to Micheal Bush. Dunno about that. I think of him more like Darren McFadden, who I wanted the Packers to draft back in the day.

Lacy ran a 4.59 or something like that, but remember. He was just coming off a hammy and didn't have time to get in shape. People also said Ryan Grant didn't have enough speed to take it to the house. They also said Greg Jennings couldn't get deep.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#43 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:27:07 AM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Don't know why people are down on this pick. He was projected to go to in the first round, some as high as 15,16,17. Most mocks had us even taking him at 26... Why not take a chance on these so called injure problems? I say this is a steal. Don't know what teams were thinking. He's more than just a running back running behind a good offensive line. Look at that Notre dame game he was making defenders pay in the 2nd level. He was spinning off them, breaking tackles man this guy gets me excited. There weren't better players than him on the board when we drafted him trust me. He reminds me of Micheal Turner actually..
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#44 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 3:18:23 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 392

I was hoping The Packers wouold take another D-lineman in the 2nd, but when New England snatched up Jonathan Hankins a few picks before, I think Lacey became the BPA.

Nobody knows how these things will work out, but as has been stated many times, getting Lacey at the end of rnd 2, is good value.

The way Ted traded down and stockpiled for day 3 tells me the scouts have done their job and there are players Ted covets.

I think it will be tough to trade up on day 2, unless there is a team at the top of rnd 3 that wants more picks, maybe The Browns? or Jaguars?, if Ted does swing a trade up it will be with a team who is trying to rebuild, maybe even The Jets?

I can't see Ted drafting 10 players today, but if it happens, there is room for about 8-9 on the 53 man roster right now, the rest can fight for a PS spot.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline dfosterf  
#45 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:12:10 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 175
Applause Received: 392

I just want to point out that Lacy excelled when Alabama went to a ZONE BLOCKING SCHEME.
I don't think that's been mentioned. I love this pick, and I usually hate drafting RB's when we have such a shit-box line.

Isn't there a guard /center from Alabama still available? Let's go get him (forgot name, sorry-- anyone know?)

Those trades with SF suck, imo- btw.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Rss Feed