Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:07:03 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 77

JSOnline wrote:
Linebacker A.J. Hawk was interviewed by phone on the NFL Network's "NFL AM" show Thursday morning.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline yooperfan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:29:25 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 522
Applause Received: 243

Waits for the anti Hawk rhetoric to start.....Weeeee!!
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:46:33 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,021

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Waits for the anti Hawk rhetoric to start.....Weeeee!!

Probably... but that would be in error as a football player. Expectations and contract stuff aside, Hawk is a good football player. I happen to think he has the physical talent to be better than he is, but even there, that is expecting Hawk to be the same player he was at OSU and the college game where you might have more and better tells pre snap.

That doesn't discount that he is a good football player at the NFL level.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 4/11/2013(UTC)
Offline Laser Gunns  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:04:20 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 216

Hawk has not been credited with a defended pass or forced turnover in 2 years..

He is not a good LB.. Don't kid yourself.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline FLORIDA PACKER88  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:24:41 PM(UTC)
FLORIDA PACKER88

Applause Given: 12
Applause Received: 6

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar Go to Quoted Post

Blah blah no turnovers blah blah stats blah blah blah blah RABBLE RABBLE #lookingatlimitedportionsofafootballgame #Linebackersarenotfreesafeties . SAME OLD ANTI HAWK SHITE ON A DIFFERENT DAY. Until he gets beat out and replaced he is OBVIOUSLY good enough to start in the NFL.
Offline Pack93z  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:33:26 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,021

I guess those are the only stats that matter.. in your viewpoint.

Top 25 in Tackles

3 sacks are more than Patrick Willis, Derrick Johnson, NaVorro Bowman (Bowman and Willis combined), Posluszny for examples.. other inside (Middle) backers.

I will concede that he is stiff in coverage.. and that he lacks the versatility of many of the blue chips.. but that is also something that a DC can work around. He is not a 3 down backer.. at least in a man coverage situation.. again, I will not argue.

I am not endorsing him as a Pro Bowl player.. he was over hyped a bit coming into the league, but that still doesn't discount he is an effective in the box linebacker.

I wish he was as versatile as the 49ers pair.. where they can leave them on the field in any situation.. Hawk is not that linebacker. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:12:33 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

I have no comment other than.
The guy came into the league as a 4-3 outside LB'r was forced to move to the inside, made himself the best he could,
if that's not good enough for some of you, well just keep:

Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:27:14 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,835
Applause Received: 1,991

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I have no comment other than.
The guy came into the league as a 4-3 outside LB'r was forced to move to the inside, made himself the best he could,
if that's not good enough for some of you, well just keep:

Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse

He was forced? You mean, no other NFL team was running the 4 - 3 that he could have privately requested a trade to? Weird, I didn't know every team was using 3 - 4. Learn something new everyday. I wonder, just what method did they use to 'FORCE' him to play in the NFL and in the 3 - 4? I sure hope it wasn't a gun ...

A.J. Hawk came out of college as a player that hit his ceiling and was a safe pick. There were lots of rumors the Packers were trying to trade back to add picks and still hoping to land Hawk. That failed and Hawk was their guy so they picked him. He has been what scouts and reports said he would be. Unfortunately, when you're selected in the top 10, you're expected to be a future hall of famer.

Hawk wasn't a bust, isn't a bust and he isn't a "special" player. He's a perennial starter that is assignment sure and should probably take more risks for big plays.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:33:52 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 247
Applause Received: 365

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
He was forced? You mean, no other NFL team was running the 4 - 3 that he could have privately requested a trade to? Weird, I didn't know every team was using 3 - 4. Learn something new everyday. I wonder, just what method did they use to 'FORCE' him to play in the NFL and in the 3 - 4? I sure hope it wasn't a gun ...

A.J. Hawk came out of college as a player that hit his ceiling and was a safe pick. There were lots of rumors the Packers were trying to trade back to add picks and still hoping to land Hawk. That failed and Hawk was their guy so they picked him. He has been what scouts and reports said he would be. Unfortunately, when you're selected in the top 10, you're expected to be a future hall of famer.

Hawk wasn't a bust, isn't a bust and he isn't a "special" player. He's a perennial starter that is assignment sure and should probably take more risks for big plays.

He had to move to ML when Barnett went down,

that is what I meant by "forced",

even in 2010 he changed from one ilb position to the other when Barnett went down again.
“"The preparation week is where you make your hay,You have to win the week first. That’s where a lot of the wins and losses come. It’s how you approach the week leading up to the game."
Offline shield4life  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:16:33 AM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

His the only LB that's in almost every game. His not injury prone and got a lot of experience on is belt. Turnovers aren't only what counts and that's exactly why the management is keeping him around.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline Laser Gunns  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:35:22 AM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I guess those are the only stats that matter.. in your viewpoint.

Top 25 in Tackles

3 sacks are more than Patrick Willis, Derrick Johnson, NaVorro Bowman (Bowman and Willis combined), Posluszny for examples.. other inside (Middle) backers.

I will concede that he is stiff in coverage.. and that he lacks the versatility of many of the blue chips.. but that is also something that a DC can work around. He is not a 3 down backer.. at least in a man coverage situation.. again, I will not argue.

I am not endorsing him as a Pro Bowl player.. he was over hyped a bit coming into the league, but that still doesn't discount he is an effective in the box linebacker.

I wish he was as versatile as the 49ers pair.. where they can leave them on the field in any situation.. Hawk is not that linebacker. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

They are not the Only stats that matter, but are very important.

This is a passing league, and I think you should ver much value how LBs can cover. We've tried covering up his deficiency in pass coverage when we brought in Chillar. Remember him not getting a single snap in our season opener? I do. Chiller couldn't cover a banana with a tarp and we still trotted him out over Hawk.

(Shit, how many times "cover")

Tackles as a flat number do not mpress me, we've had this discussion about Nick Barnett, where a lot of his tackles came after the runner gained 5 yards, or after allowing a completion.

I will say, the fact he doesn't miss games is a very good attribute to have. I wish more of our team had that.

As for him being "starting quality", would you also call Walden starting quality? How about Jarrett Bush? Jarius Wynn?

They are all fucking awful, and everybody but our staff knew it. I don't trust that hey have the best eye for talent in this scheme.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline blueleopard  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 11:21:30 AM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 60

They are not the Only stats that matter, but are very important.

This is a passing league, and I think you should ver much value how LBs can cover. We've tried covering up his deficiency in pass coverage when we brought in Chillar. Remember him not getting a single snap in our season opener? I do. Chiller couldn't cover a banana with a tarp and we still trotted him out over Hawk.

(Shit, how many times "cover")

Tackles as a flat number do not mpress me, we've had this discussion about Nick Barnett, where a lot of his tackles came after the runner gained 5 yards, or after allowing a completion.

I will say, the fact he doesn't miss games is a very good attribute to have. I wish more of our team had that.

As for him being "starting quality", would you also call Walden starting quality? How about Jarrett Bush? Jarius Wynn?

They are all fucking awful, and everybody but our staff knew it. I don't trust that hey have the best eye for talent in this scheme.

Erik Walden signed like a $20M contract. So... LOL. Stupid Titans.

The thing about A.J. Hawk is this. He's the smartest and most disciplined linebacker on the team. Is he the strongest? No. Is he the fastest? No. The man is just reliable.

As for this whole "allowing a completion" and then tackling criticism. At least he'll actually make the tackle. What do you want him to do, pull a Woody and get called for PI? Some of these arguments are ridiculous. He's not even overpaid anymore. His restructuring is barely a fraction of what he would've made.

There's no better team guy on the defense than A.J. Hawk right now.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline DoddPower  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:34:06 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,765
Applause Received: 417

Originally Posted by: blueleopard Go to Quoted Post
His restructuring is barely a fraction of what he would've made.

Are you sure about that? I thought it just took a few million off. Maybe $3 million.

Offline Laser Gunns  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:52:50 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
Are you sure about that? I thought it just took a few million off. Maybe $3 million.

Correct

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Rss Feed