You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:25:25 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
There's really two forces fighting against that - Fear about moving what used to be a solid business model to a digital model that really hasn't been explored yet, and the massive cost for the hardware and bandwidth to stream HD content to millions of people simultaneously. With over the air broadcasts, individual stations pay for the broadcast towers, staff, and power to run it all. If they completely shut down all the free local broadcasts (which will happen the second this content is free over the internet), suddenly Fox is inheriting all the cost and risk.

Inheriting all the cost AND profit too. They won't have to share the profit. Once the digital move starts, more and more technological advancements will procure and provide more efficient methods of handling this task.

The profit margin is going to be HUGE on this. Watch.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Pack93z  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:26:24 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 937

Additionally to those point, there is the reality that there are still large areas of this nation that don't have a grid large enough to effectively handle the bandwidth to support the household draw that this would cause.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:28:22 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Inheriting all the cost AND profit too. They won't have to share the profit. Once the digital move starts, more and more technological advancements will procure and provide more efficient methods of handling this task.

The profit margin is going to be HUGE on this. Watch.

Oh, I'm sure it will be. But it's still a huge risk to take a massive corporation and dramatically change how it does business and how it distributes its product, especially when you're going into uncharted waters. If things turn out well, Fox makes out like bandits. If things go sour, they turned a successful business into a bankruptcy.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:00:45 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
I agree completely with the free big networks never charging a subscription fee, but I also think of one of them does, it will be a suicide if the others do not follow suit. Who is going to pay to watch that station when they can just find the show they want on hulu?

Anyways, I was reading about Google's future TV service (they have it installed in kansas city as a beta test right now) and how they won't be like cable or satellite in how they charge for packages. They are going to let you pick and choose what channels you want to receive individually and pay a fee for each one. Depending on the price for each channel, I am all for this idea, seeing as I have hundreds of channels right now that I will never watch.

I've been clamouring for 'a la carte' channels for ages. I would be all for this if that's the case.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!