Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:35:44 PM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 78

PackersNews wrote:
Of the rule changes being discussed at the NFL annual meetings, the one getting the most debate is proposal No. 6: Contact with the crown of the helmet.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline olds70supreme  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:41:26 PM(UTC)
olds70supreme

Applause Given: 16
Applause Received: 35

About time, it was pretty short sighted of the original rules to be written and/or enforced to protect the ballcarrier, but not the defensive players.
blank
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:29:54 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

If they go through with that rule, they are going to get RBs killed, and create many more concussions than they prevent and it will be unenforceable. When a RB tries to protect himself (with his shoulder), and a tackler tries to tackle (with his shoulder), they are going to hit heads and the crown is going to be first because of anatomy. What causes concussions is the brain bouncing around in the helment, when the contact is from the front, back or sides, the brain bounces around more. When the contact is on the top of the head, it doesn't bounce around even close as much.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:03:47 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,365
Applause Received: 599

Give them bigger shoulder pads to somewhat hide their heads in them, and maybe cover the helmet in a couple inches of spongy yoga mat padding type shit.

Bottom line is that football is a violent sport. You can't change that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:16:55 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 402
Applause Received: 233

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These guys are getting paid multiple millions to play a fun game that any of us would do just about anything to have the ability for. If they are concerned about getting their brains scrambled, then let them give up that multiple millions and get a real job.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:44:39 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. These guys are getting paid multiple millions to play a fun game that any of us would do just about anything to have the ability for. If they are concerned about getting their brains scrambled, then let them give up that multiple millions and get a real job.

My dad was a sanitation worker for the City of Green Bay. I would venture to say that that took more of a toll on him than many NFL players. Yet he didn't make millions. Nor did he bitch about it.

That said, nourish blood and yin essence if you want a strong brain.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:09:10 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 402
Applause Received: 233

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
My dad was a sanitation worker for the City of Green Bay. I would venture to say that that took more of a toll on him than many NFL players. Yet he didn't make millions. Nor did he bitch about it.

That said, nourish blood and yin essence if you want a strong brain.

I'll take that to mean we actually agree on something hahaha. It does seem, however, that your dad's genetic material took a beating there in that cess pool - look how you turned out. You seem to have inherited the propensity to pump out shit, but that no bitching part? I guess that skipped your generation.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:36:47 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
I'll take that to mean we actually agree on something hahaha. It does seem, however, that your dad's genetic material took a beating there in that cess pool - look how you turned out. You seem to have inherited the propensity to pump out shit, but that no bitching part? I guess that skipped your generation.

What am I bitching about?

You're the one bitching about homosexuality.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:59:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

What they should outlaw is the ballcarrier being able to grab the facemask of the player trying to bring them down.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
JustinAVA182 on 3/20/2013(UTC), olds70supreme on 3/20/2013(UTC)
Offline olds70supreme  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:25:14 AM(UTC)
olds70supreme

Applause Given: 16
Applause Received: 35

If you are going to limit the ability of the defensive player to use the crown of his helmet you have to limit the ability of the offensive player as well. It puts the defensive player at a disadvantage from both safety and competitive perspectives. For example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgPSWAp6iK0

The defensive player is prohibited from coming in helmet first and creaming AP here. AP has no such limitations, however, so he lowers his head and lays the defensive player out. Watch the video at the 30 second mark, it's obvious that AP's helmet pops Gay's helmet. It's BS to help and protect one player (offensive) and hurt and endanger another (defensive).

If you hate this rule because of the safety aspect (it is somehow devaluing the game because it's not as "tough" as it used to be) than at least try to appreciate the fact that it levels the playing field competitively for both sides of the ball.

By the way, this was the first youtube result for a search of "adrian peterson truck", not something I had to spend a significant amount of time searching for to fit my point of view.
blank
Offline PackerTraxx  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:48:40 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

The people at the meetings sound like a bunch of politicians and just about as effective. If they're really serious I believe there are a number of things they could do. For starters they could mandate wearing the proper protective gear. The dinky shoulder pads they use are smaller than what high school teams use to wear and the players are literally twice as big and much faster. Most of the skill players don't wear thigh pads or knee pads, linemen don't wear braces. All linemen at UW wear braces and they do well. It would slow the game down a little, which in itself would help. I remember years ago seeing someone who had developed a material which when you dropped and egg on it from about 2 feet up, the egg would not break. If the make the helmet with that on top of the hard shell they have now, then topped that with a thin tough layer of slippery material it should work great. I not an expert but there has to be better answers than this with the technology we have now.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 2 applause.
yooperfan on 3/20/2013(UTC), nerdmann on 3/20/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:40:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

"Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the rule passed by a “wide margin.” (It’ll be interesting to know who opposed it, and whether there was a closer initial vote followed by a more comfortable second tally.)"
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:16:13 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme Go to Quoted Post
If you are going to limit the ability of the defensive player to use the crown of his helmet you have to limit the ability of the offensive player as well. It puts the defensive player at a disadvantage from both safety and competitive perspectives. For example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgPSWAp6iK0

The defensive player is prohibited from coming in helmet first and creaming AP here. AP has no such limitations, however, so he lowers his head and lays the defensive player out. Watch the video at the 30 second mark, it's obvious that AP's helmet pops Gay's helmet. It's BS to help and protect one player (offensive) and hurt and endanger another (defensive).

If you hate this rule because of the safety aspect (it is somehow devaluing the game because it's not as "tough" as it used to be) than at least try to appreciate the fact that it levels the playing field competitively for both sides of the ball.

By the way, this was the first youtube result for a search of "adrian peterson truck", not something I had to spend a significant amount of time searching for to fit my point of view.

The limitation on players hitting defenseless players (and QBs) is completely different than a RB running over a player that is trying to tackle and hit him as hard as they can. With a runner and defender it is equal, neither is defenseless.
UserPostedImage
Offline JustinAVA182  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:19:49 AM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 30

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
What they should outlaw is the ballcarrier being able to grab the facemask of the player trying to bring them down.

Much much agreed there.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:21:37 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

It is illegal, just seldomly called.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed