You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JustinAVA182  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:57:15 AM(UTC)
JustinAVA182

United States

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 29

I happen to come across this tonight.. Sorry if someone has already suggested or brought it up in a different form.

Quote:
With Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman backing up Aaron Rodgers, the Packers could be in the market to get a better prospect. Aaron's little brother, Jordan Rodgers, could be the pick in the seventh round to come in and compete for a backup or practice squad role.

Rodgers is slightly undersized, but has a quick, smooth throwing motion that isn't too far away from his brother's. Other than that, it's unfair to the younger sibling to compare him too much to his big brother. Rodgers showed some escapability in the pocket and ability to keep plays alive.

Rodgers needs to improve his footwork and balance when he gets into the league. The Packers coaching staff should be able to work with Rodgers and get that figured out to improve his overall accuracy and consistency.
By Michael Dulka(Featured Columnist) on March 15, 2013

Thoughts?
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline play2win  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:21:59 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 844
Applause Received: 547

I think it would be fun to have the Rodgers Bros. on the same team. I wonder how Jordan would feel about that.
Offline nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:22:04 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 470

It would have to be a cold, calculated business decision, not based on any sentimentality whatsoever.

Although if he went undrafted, Ted would be likely to make him an offer.

Ted drafted Jeremy Thompson, after his brother Orrin Thompson was on the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:42:11 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 211

I wouldn't... (unless it's clearly a great value AND you know he's going to make the team)

Do you really want to make your star and mental leader on the field have to be worrying about if he's brother is going to have a job or not tomorrow? I mean if he's on another team, he should be able to block it out no problem... but if he's right there in front of him, it's harder to block out...?

Rodgers would have to get used to having his brother around, then if he's cut have to get reused to not having him around?

Also Mike McCarthy has talked about he only likes 3 QBs in camp because there isn't enough passes to go around. And only 2 are a lock to make the roster... and the 3rd one might make it or might be cut, and if they're cut another team might claim them.

I see it as kind of asking for trouble.... unless you feel like good things will happen, like his brother will make the final 53 and be his future back-up (or current) back-up if he can beat two guys that already know the system.

I also think B.J. Coleman has all the physical skills but needed a lot of refinement. As many QBs have shown having all the physical Qbs doesn't make you a good QB, but the physical potential is there.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Ted drafted Jeremy Thompson, after his brother Orrin Thompson was on the team.

Jeremy showed potential and moved GREAT for a guy of his size, talent wise he had it. But he wasn't mentally tough enough for the physicalness of the NFL and of course that's more of the most important things.

America's team... of the people, by the people, for the people
UserPostedImage
~ made by pack93z
Offline PackerTraxx  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:45:07 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

It would be kool...but it seems as though it would be a tough situation for the player, coaches and management to be put into.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline Packers_Finland  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:48:14 AM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 44

I sure hope not. We only keep 2 QBs usually and his chances of making the roster would be slim. I want to see him go somewhere where he has a better chance of sticking around, even if it's as a 3rd/PS QB.
This is a placeholder
Offline PackerTraxx  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:57:14 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

As the third QB he would be on the practice squad and that's what he'd most likey be anywhere as the third QB. I agree he would have a tough time beating out Coleman, who should be able to win the backup job this year. At least that is my hope.
'
Offline nerdmann  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:28:19 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post

Jeremy showed potential and moved GREAT for a guy of his size, talent wise he had it. But he wasn't mentally tough enough for the physicalness of the NFL and of course that's more of the most important things.

Jeremy had a neck injury and developed stenosis iirc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackerTraxx  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 11:18:11 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

You are correct. It's too bad because he was looking good in camp, according to reports, with the switch to a 34. He was a tweener in the 43. Might have been what we needed across from Clay, but if he had turned out really good maybe we wouldn't have Clay. What if's can drive one crazy...LOL
Offline beast  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:28:56 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
You are correct. It's too bad because he was looking good in camp, according to reports, with the switch to a 34. He was a tweener in the 43. Might have been what we needed across from Clay, but if he had turned out really good maybe we wouldn't have Clay. What if's can drive one crazy...LOL
Jeremy Thompson always looked great.... until the pads went on.

Thompson earned the starting 3-4 OLB in shorts.
Then quickly lost it once the pads went on and became last string and ST player.

Thompson had the physical talent, but lacked the mental toughness.

And I know he got the neck injury, but I'm basing his lack of mental toughness (compared to other NFL players) based on him getting a lot worse once the pads came on and they started hitting. That being said, if NFL players start hitting us, I'm sure a number of us wouldn't be charging at them... but that's what DL is asked to do, charge the OL and get to the ball. (or clog the OL and protect the LBers, when asked to play two gaps)
UserPostedImage
~ made by pack93z
Online texaspackerbacker  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 3:42:47 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

United States

Applause Given: 349
Applause Received: 209

If I was Ted, I'd discuss it with Aaron. From what I have read about Jordon relying on Aaron's advice even more than his coaches, etc., I would think both would like the idea. Cutting him shouldn't be a problem, as he'd be more likely to accept a practice squad spot than somebody else. The kid looked good when I saw him on limited occasions. A major factor is the Packers' satisfaction level with Harrell and Coleman, as one or the other would probably have to go if JRod was retained even on the practice squad.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:04:26 PM(UTC)
beast

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
Cutting him shouldn't be a problem, as he'd be more likely to accept a practice squad spot than somebody else.
True... BUT before you accept a practice squad spot with anyone you have to go through waivers, where any of the other 31 teams can then grab him, if they want him.

And if the Packers grab JRod in the draft, I'd be wondering if they know something I didn't.

If a QB needy team has an open spot, they might grab him just to get a closer look for a week or two if nothing else (like the Rams did claiming Lions troubled WR Titus Young (who thinks he's a better WR then WR Calvin Johnson).

UserPostedImage
~ made by pack93z