Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:25:19 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Reggie White was 32 when we signed him, and 36 when we won the SB.

Something to think about. I believe that was Ted's biggest mistake with Cullen Jenkins. NYG is a smart organization, and they got a bargain. So did PHI before that.

There are some older players out there who can still bring it. With Ted's mentality, he never would have signed Reggie White, one of the greatest Packers ever to play.
Sponsor
Offline Laser Gunns  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:35:32 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 223

I'll agree with you on most positions,

but in regard to Steven Jackson, hey may turn out to be the exeption to the rule, but more often than not, at 30 years old, most RBs production drops off a cliff.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:51:35 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Sorry Raji, but I wasn't thinking in RB terms at all. And I agree with you there.

Just thinking some very serviceable players who would be great in DL rotation are precluded from consideration by age, like:
Umenyiora
Freeney
Abraham
Hampton
Seymore
Spears

Times have changed, but there are some specially gifted, older players who I think should be considered. The Jenkins thing still pisses me off, and I can't get over it. We should have won 2 SBs in a row, and could have gone undefeated if we had him in 2011.
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:05:52 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,366
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Sorry Raji, but I wasn't thinking in RB terms at all. And I agree with you there.

Just thinking some very serviceable players who would be great in DL rotation are precluded from consideration by age, like:
Umenyiora
Freeney
Abraham
Hampton
Seymore
Spears

Times have changed, but there are some specially gifted, older players who I think should be considered. The Jenkins thing still pisses me off, and I can't get over it. We should have won 2 SBs in a row, and could have gone undefeated if we had him in 2011.

Jenkins had problems staying healthy even before he turned 30.

Not the same player.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:21:25 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 1,314

Guaging age of a player is a positional thing. For a quarterback 35-36 is when they start showing age. For a running back, that number is 30, or even sooner if said player is a workhorse back. You get a little more life from a receiver, but when they start getting caught from behind, then it is time to start looking for the replacement.

I would only give a long term contract to a quarterback or Offensive lineman post 30 years old. Everybody else would be 3 years max.
UserPostedImage
Offline shield4life  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:35:29 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

I agree that aged players are not necessarily "finished" but they won't be the "key" of winning a SB. Jenkins did not want to take a home discount and left on his own terms. On top of that we saw what he did with Eagles ... oh wait two losing seasons by them while acquiring the top FA's on defense in that year. Now I'm not saying Jenkins wouldn't have helped but there are other more important players to be retained which are young and cheaper.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:38:22 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Jenkins had problems staying healthy even before he turned 30.

Not the same player.

Jenkins has not missed a game in the two years since his release by GB, with 9.5 sacks.

No DL in GB comes close to that production over two years.
Online steveishere  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:42:28 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 867

It doesn't seem like PHI thought they got a bargain since they restructured his contract after 1 year and cut him after 2.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
beast on 3/14/2013(UTC), QCHuskerFan on 3/15/2013(UTC)
Offline beast  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:43:07 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 270

Reggie White was 32 when we signed him, and 36 when we won the SB.

Something to think about. I believe that was Ted's biggest mistake with Cullen Jenkins. NYG is a smart organization, and they got a bargain. So did PHI before that.

There are some older players out there who can still bring it. With Ted's mentality, he never would have signed Reggie White, one of the greatest Packers ever to play.

Who said Packers didn't sign Jenkins because of age?

It's been said, Jenkins priced himself out of the market (like Jennings did)

And both their prices had to drop before teams would think about signing them.

It's been rumored the Packers offered more than Jenkins ended up signing for (which has also been said about Jennings).

It was said the Packers offered Jennings $10 million per season at one point. But he thought he could get $12 million from the Dolphins. (better weather and more money and his family and him loved the idea of Miami.)

Now he might be taking $7 to $8 million per season.

Also Eagles made him take a pay cut ...

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
It doesn't seem like PHI thought they got a bargain since they restructured his contract after 1 year and cut him after 2.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline play2win  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:43:40 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

There are other positions and players, and I agree age affects different positions in different ways. Thinking we could add a LT as a starter or backup,or a DL to be a part of a "rebuild the rotation" plan.

Bryant McKinney won a SB last year as a backup who became a SB starter.

As for revisiting Cullen Jenkins end in GB, it went exactly like Woodson, with Ted not saying anything, not making an offer, not telling his player to test the market and get back.... Nothing. That, to me, is irresponsible.

Jenkins never had a chance to make the hometown discount. There were a lot of fans saying we could have afforded him for what he signed for in PHI.
Online steveishere  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:00:41 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 43
Applause Received: 867

Lol Jenkins offered a "hometown discount" supposedly before he even hit FA. Based on the way his market was when he actually was a FA I'd say his discount was probably for more than he ended up getting and he was a little off on the amount of interest there was in his services.

Beyond that how can you really think you have any idea what Ted did or didn't do as far as offers or discussions with players? The guy says absolutely nothing about players ever. I think a player could say Ted offered him a hooker to sign and he would just say something like "we don't discuss personnel discussions"
Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:30:39 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Received: 270

As for revisiting Cullen Jenkins end in GB, it went exactly like Woodson, with Ted not saying anything, not making an offer, not telling his player to test the market and get back.... Nothing. That, to me, is irresponsible.

Jenkins never had a chance to make the hometown discount. There were a lot of fans saying we could have afforded him for what he signed for in PHI.

WHAT?!?!? Are you Jenkins agent? Or how do you know that?

Thompson was said to not make James Jones an offer that same year which turned out to be false, it was said about Jennings this year and that has turned out false. And he did it with Clifton.

Packers doesn't offer deals publicly ... but he does offer them.

It's also been rumored the Packers offered Jenkins more than he got with the eagles. But Jenkins turned it down at the time thinking it was too little, only to find out it was his best offer, but when the market went down, Thompson offer went down but still was the best and Jenkins was pissed at the Packers and didn't take it. Just like Jennings, other than Jennings hasn't been reported to be pissed, and don't know if Vikings will go over the Packers offer or not. And no I don't know the rumors are true, but I know Jenkins was pissed at the Packers as there was a couple reports of it, because he thought he should of given him what he wanted.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline shield4life  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:35:33 PM(UTC)
shield4life

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 24

Cullen Jenkins:

2010 with Packers: 11 games - 18 tackles - 7 sacks
2011 with Eagles: 16 games - 40 tackles - 5.5 sacks
2012 with Eagles: 16 games - 26 tackles - 4 sacks
2013 with Giants: Let's wait and see, doubt it will be better then 2011 season.

We can't just blame for Ted Thompson letting him slip away it's not he hit strides or something with the Eagles.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Offline porky88  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:06:58 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Received: 348

I do agree that people have an attitude about players reaching 30-years-old. Look at the number of veterans Ron Wolf brought in. Aside from White, he traded for Keith Jackson, Eugene Robinson, and signed Sean Jones. I’m sure the ‘96 Packers could overcome the absence of one of those players. However, I could argue they'd have a difficult time winning without all three of them.
Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 5:19:25 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Justin Bannan could help us as an end. 33 yrs old. 6-3 313.

Casey Hampton could give us a lift we need at NT after playing in all 16 games last season for PIT.

Bigger point is holding to an arbitrary age # as a cut off and eliminating possible chances to improve.

porky, talking about those 96 Packers, I met Santana Dotson two nights ago. Dude looks like he could jump right back in and play!
Rss Feed