You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Share
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:00:24 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 1,230
Joined: 12/11/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 70

JerseyAl wrote:
In the shadow of the last two postseason losses, I’ve seen a number of Green Bay Packers fans itching for Ted Thompson to make some big roster moves. Their basic premise is that star quarterback Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have much time left to get to another Super Bowl. It’s either now or never if the team wants to make another serious run at it.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:19:34 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,513
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,105
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: Packers_RSS Go to Quoted Post


There is some urgency, but when a QB pisses a season away statwhoring, I tend not to feel so bad for him.

Favre for instance pissed away more than one Conference Championship.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:34:03 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,240
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 841
Applause Received: 547

nerdmann, your stat whoring premise is not something readily embraced. But, you may have a point.

For years I was pissed at Mike Sherman for not running the ball more. Really pissed. It wasn't until after he was gone that I realized it may have been Favre checking out of run plays to pass instead. That seems more plausible.

Now, is Rodgers falling into the same trap, wanting to throw, checking out of designated run plays for the pass option? It is possible. I just feel the Head Coach has got to have a firm handle on that, and it is McCarthy's task to insure we have a more balanced run/pass attack. At least, I would hope he would see that. This is a huge problem in Green Bay IMO. I feel our offense should establish more of a run oriented approach. Take some of the heat off of Rodgers, and dictate more to a defense, rather than the other way around. We get pass happy and we get predictable. We haven't been running enough to establish the run as a dominant part of our offense. We just haven't, and it shows.

That should come to an end. I hope Mike McCarthy changes that for us in Green Bay, and that Ted lands a punishing back and maybe some better talent on the OL to help make it a reality.

As for raw stat whoring, I would think Rodgers has more character in those situations than Favre. Favre seemed to be all about Favre. Rodgers doesn't seem that way.
Offline Porforis  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 9:53:53 AM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,733
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

I'd post our run-pass stats for the 14th time but people just ignore anything that flies in the face of what they've convinced is true so meh.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:25:28 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,513
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,105
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I'd post our run-pass stats for the 14th time but people just ignore anything that flies in the face of what they've convinced is true so meh.


Is there a stat for holding onto the ball 8+ seconds even when there's guys open underneath?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Porforis  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:39:10 AM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,733
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Is there a stat for holding onto the ball 8+ seconds even when there's guys open underneath?


No, but they're working on it. They're going to start tracking it once they start tracking pointless interceptions thrown into triple coverage when there's people open underneath or the ball can be thrown away. Also, people aren't just sitting there underneath as much as you'd like to think.

http://packershome.com/y...coverage.aspx#post225271

Saw that crap for the better part of the season - WRs get disrupted at the point of attack, Rodgers needs to go to his 3rd or 4th read if he's lucky or more likely, has to scramble around to avoid the sack after 2 seconds.

Summary: Rodgers isn't perfect, he oftentimes tries to make things happen when he should just throw the ball away and sometimes he ignores the shallow routes. But considering how much constant bitching I heard all season long about all of our routes being 10 yards deep or deeper, not sure how that meshes with your idea that this was a regular occurrence where he was just standing there in the pocket waiting for someone to get open 40 yards downfield. 2011 and to a lesser extent 2010? Sure, we forced it downfield way too much. 2012? We took a MUCH more balanced approach between running and passing - where we failed earlier on in the season is with a lack of quickly developing routes or quick outs for Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:11:14 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,240
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 841
Applause Received: 547

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
No, but they're working on it. They're going to start tracking it once they start tracking pointless interceptions thrown into triple coverage when there's people open underneath or the ball can be thrown away. Also, people aren't just sitting there underneath as much as you'd like to think.

http://packershome.com/y...coverage.aspx#post225271

Saw that crap for the better part of the season - WRs get disrupted at the point of attack, Rodgers needs to go to his 3rd or 4th read if he's lucky or more likely, has to scramble around to avoid the sack after 2 seconds.

Summary: Rodgers isn't perfect, he oftentimes tries to make things happen when he should just throw the ball away and sometimes he ignores the shallow routes. But considering how much constant bitching I heard all season long about all of our routes being 10 yards deep or deeper, not sure how that meshes with your idea that this was a regular occurrence where he was just standing there in the pocket waiting for someone to get open 40 yards downfield. 2011 and to a lesser extent 2010? Sure, we forced it downfield way too much. 2012? We took a MUCH more balanced approach between running and passing - where we failed earlier on in the season is with a lack of quickly developing routes or quick outs for Rodgers.


You are definitely right Porforis. We ran quite a bit more than in 2011. From an attempts standpoint we ranked #16 in 2012 with 433 v. #27 in 2011 with 395. We were only #20 in yds at 1702 in 2012 v. #27 in 2011 with 1503 yds.

We had a lot of stuff going on offensively to deal with. Tons of injuries on OL, WR and at RB. Plus, teams had figured us out, knew how to defend us, forcing adjustments. All in all, our offense did fairly well considering, dropping to #13 in Total Offense in 2013 compared to #3 in 2011. FYI, in 2010 we were #9 overall (#24 rushing/#9 passing).

Our OL play needs to be better, and our RB play needs to improve. Play calling a more run heavy attack would be helpful. So would keeping our WRs, and everybody else healthy.
Offline GBkrzygrl  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:20:40 AM(UTC)
GBkrzygrl

Rank: Practice Squad

United States
Posts: 13
Joined: 2/18/2013(UTC)
Location: Wisconsin

Applause Received: 5

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
nerdmann, your stat whoring premise is not something readily embraced. But, you may have a point.

Now, is Rodgers falling into the same trap, wanting to throw, checking out of designated run plays for the pass option? It is possible. I just feel the Head Coach has got to have a firm handle on that, and it is McCarthy's task to insure we have a more balanced run/pass attack. At least, I would hope he would see that. This is a huge problem in Green Bay IMO. I feel our offense should establish more of a run oriented approach. Take some of the heat off of Rodgers, and dictate more to a defense, rather than the other way around. We get pass happy and we get predictable. We haven't been running enough to establish the run as a dominant part of our offense. We just haven't, and it shows.

That should come to an end. I hope Mike McCarthy changes that for us in Green Bay, and that Ted lands a punishing back and maybe some better talent on the OL to help make it a reality.

As for raw stat whoring, I would think Rodgers has more character in those situations than Favre. Favre seemed to be all about Favre. Rodgers doesn't seem that way.


I am beginning to wonder the same thing, especially this year. So far I like what I have read about Aaron. He appears to be as down to earth as anyone making millions of $ can be. But I got very frustrated this season with all the sacks he took. I know some of it was on the OL, but there were so many times I was yelling at the tv, "throw it away". To be honest, I don't think we have had a RB that we could rely on and with all the injuries to the RB's this year, maybe Aaron didn't trust them.... I don't know.

I think I will actually break down and Crying if Ted Thompson chooses a RB with an injury history again. If Aaron trusts the running game and they can get a balanced attack, maybe we can make back to the SB. Course we also need help on the defensive side of the ball. *sigh*
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:25:03 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,513
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,105
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: GBkrzygrl Go to Quoted Post
I am beginning to wonder the same thing, especially this year. So far I like what I have read about Aaron. He appears to be as down to earth as anyone making millions of $ can be. But I got very frustrated this season with all the sacks he took. I know some of it was on the OL, but there were so many times I was yelling at the tv, "throw it away". To be honest, I don't think we have had a RB that we could rely on and with all the injuries to the RB's this year, maybe Aaron didn't trust them.... I don't know.

I think I will actually break down and Crying if Ted Thompson chooses a RB with an injury history again. If Aaron trusts the running game and they can get a balanced attack, maybe we can make back to the SB. Course we also need help on the defensive side of the ball. *sigh*


Aaron isn't megalomaniacal like Brent, but he's got that thing where he clings to his bitterness over every little sleight he's ever experienced.

Get over it dude. Adhere to fundamentals. The stats will come.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:26:02 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,513
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,105
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
You are definitely right Porforis. We ran quite a bit more than in 2011. From an attempts standpoint we ranked #16 in 2012 with 433 v. #27 in 2011 with 395. We were only #20 in yds at 1702 in 2012 v. #27 in 2011 with 1503 yds.

We had a lot of stuff going on offensively to deal with. Tons of injuries on OL, WR and at RB. Plus, teams had figured us out, knew how to defend us, forcing adjustments. All in all, our offense did fairly well considering, dropping to #13 in Total Offense in 2013 compared to #3 in 2011. FYI, in 2010 we were #9 overall (#24 rushing/#9 passing).

Our OL play needs to be better, and our RB play needs to improve. Play calling a more run heavy attack would be helpful. So would keeping our WRs, and everybody else healthy.


Teams know all they have to do is shut down the deep routes. Aaron will not consistently take the short yardage underneath.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:54:59 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 673
Joined: 1/11/2013(UTC)
Location: Murray, Kentucky

Applause Given: 213
Applause Received: 269

A steadier RB situation would help with short passing and maybe if the conga line of TEs we have gets put to use. I feel like Rodgers would audible from passing to running plays (well, at least when we have a RB in) and go to check downs if there was any consistency at RB. Once Harris showed he could catch the ball Rodgers was more than willing to go to him. Whipping Green into a 3rd down back over the offseason should be a priority.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 3/7/2013(UTC), Pack93z on 3/7/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:24:21 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,240
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 841
Applause Received: 547

I'm just thinking of what it would be like running out of 2 TE sets, ones where both TEs are good blockers! Thank God Quarless is coming back.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/7/2013(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:25:16 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,733
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Off-topic - Nice to see new posters in this topic. Thanks for stopping by and I hope to keep seeing you!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 3/7/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:38:05 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,644
Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 345

I don't think, the premise is that Rodgers doesn't have time. It is more, will the team be able to afford to put a winning team around him once he and others get paid. If rumors are true and Rodgers gets extended soon, and sets the new bar. His salary impact to the cap will likely double or more. That could be 10, 12 or 15 million less to pay players around him. Add Matthews and Raji and that jumps even more.

I hope Rodgers is really as smart as he seems to sound, and realizes he is better off, if he takes less, so the team can pay to keep better players around him. I would rather have a line that is worth 20million a year blocking than one worth 10.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Porforis on 3/7/2013(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:01:30 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 829
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

The Green Bay Packers will be in the running for the Superbowl for the next 10 years as long as Rodgers is the QB. That's all I have to say.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 3/7/2013(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 3/7/2013(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Guest (3)
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.0 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.542 seconds.