You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Porforis  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:09:02 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Well Porforis, the tax code has been exploiting the worker forever, now it's time for all the people making money for nothing to take their turn at getting bent over. Seems perfectly fair to me.

Investments ranging from stocks in publically held companies, to municipal bonds and treasuries do nothing for society, apparently.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:38:30 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 563
Applause Received: 589

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl Go to Quoted Post
why oh why do i keep entering these 'tax' threads when all it does is irritate me beyond words?!? glutton for punishment apparently.

*sigh

Because you're cute?

Big Grin

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline DakotaT  
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:03:01 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Investments ranging from stocks in publically held companies, to municipal bonds and treasuries do nothing for society, apparently.

It's still money for doing nothing but taking a small financial risk. But the working man in many professions lay his life on the line daily - why is it we feel right about taxing this type of person at a higher rate than the Mittens of the world. Income is income and there shouldn't be a special rate for the people licking on silver spoons.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:59:17 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 563
Applause Received: 589

1.So, should we also get rid of depreciation and allow immediate expensing of all "income-producing assets" of a business? After all, if income from capital investment is just like income from labor, then should not the expenses of putting that capital to work (i.e., the prices paid factories, offices, and machines the investment) be deductible the same way as expenses of putting labor to work (i.e., the price paid to labor (their wages))?

2. Or, since "deductions" = "loopholes for the rich and the big companies", what if we disallow all expenses companies incur entirely, and simply tax corporate revenues at the same rate as we tax the income of wage earners.

3. And then we can tax the dividends received by corporate shareholders, and get even more money to spend on deficit reductions, helping the poor, etc.

I don't have that much of a problem getting rid of differential tax rates for capital gains. Its just another "tax innovation" in the name of social engineering, anyway.

But, IMO, if that's done, it should be done together with abolition of the current way we tax corporate income. I'd make *every* corporate entity pass through its income to shareholders like Subchapter S companies do now, whether there is one shareholder or fifty million. All the dual system does is make more jobs for accountants and tax lawyers.

I'm not sure what I'd do with depreciation rules. Probably wouldn't get rid of them -- now *there* would be a serious *adjustment period* -- but I would greatly simplify them; make everything straight-line only, shortening the "useful life" definitions, and probably putting everything in three categories for "short- (maybe 3 yrs), medium- (8), and long-term (20)?

Tax reform, IMO, is yet another place where the conservatives and liberals end up drawing the wrong battle lines. And the rich and powerful just laugh and hire a few more lawyers and lobbyists.
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline DakotaT  
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:50:09 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

The reason for depreciation is to allow deductions over a period of time, because generally a large asset purchased is difficult to write off in one year, but the depreciation could be eliminated if carryforward credits were to be allowed.

Deductions areen't just loopholes for the rich, we all use them; but did the great thinker Paul Ryan ever let us know which deductions were to be hacked away in his protect the wealthy budget?

Dividends are already taxed from C-corps - and it is why you hear people whine about double taxation. The difference in the different corporations has more to do with liability protection than anything.

The more they can do to simplify the tax code the better. Getting rid of AMT is a good thing. But eliminating the cap on Social Security or at least doubling the threshhold would go a long way towards a balanced budget - well that and stop floating our military over the world.
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#21 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:49:25 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 247

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I'd rather pay taxes on items/services paid for, than have it deducted from my salary. Currently, 26% of my salary goes straight to taxes. I get about (judging from this years taxes) 2% of that back on my return.

I agree completely. Raise the sales tax, remove the income tax. That way when I don't buy shit all year I can keep all of my money instead of paying my 23.5%.
call me Dan
Offline DakotaT  
#22 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:12:12 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
I agree completely. Raise the sales tax, remove the income tax. That way when I don't buy shit all year I can keep all of my money instead of paying my 23.5%.

Only that kills the economy worse than anything and gives the rich an even bigger break on taxes, i.e. they already have everything - nothing they need to buy. Keep thinking guys, you might find a way to even fuck yourselves harder.

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#23 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:58:31 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Only that kills the economy worse than anything and gives the rich an even bigger break on taxes, i.e. they already have everything - nothing they need to buy. Keep thinking guys, you might find a way to even fuck yourselves harder.

I don't know, coming into these topics is pretty damn good way to fuck myself (or rather my braincells) pretty hard.
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:32:26 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 247

I know it won't be happening for good reason. I was enjoying the thought of keeping 23.5% more of my money though.
call me Dan
Offline DakotaT  
#25 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:33:27 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I don't know, coming into these topics is pretty damn good way to fuck myself (or rather my braincells) pretty hard.

You don't feel enlightened by the knowledge I'm giving you for free? You should move to North Dakota Porforis, about 90% of the people here think just like you, complete Republican control.
UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:21:40 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 313

So you are saying that if they imposed a national sales tax the rich people would quit buying stuff just to save money? Somehow I just don't see that happening.

I fully respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.