Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Poll Question : 2013 LT will be
Choice Votes Statistics
  Marshall Newhouse
44 %
  Derek Sherrod
55 %
  Bryan Bulaga
0 %
  2013 Draft Pick
0 %
  Undrafted Rookie
0 %
  Free Agent pickup
0 %
  Total 9 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:35:38 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Packers have Marshall Newhouse, Derek Sherrod and Bryan Bulaga on the roster for Tackle. Who do you think will be the LT for 2013? Any reason for your thoughts?
UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:46:24 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 112

If he is healthy I think you have to go with Sherrod as the LT. Hoping he is hitting the weights hard as he recovers.

Bulaga looks like he is finding his comfort level at RT so I think we keep him there.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline doddpower  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:31:08 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,048
Applause Received: 514

I think a 100% healthy Sherrod could be very close to as effective as Marshall Newhouse at LT, and quite possibly much better. I'm not sure Sherrod would be much better in terms of run blocking, but he unquestionably had the ability to be a very good pass protector before his injury. I have no way of knowing if he will return to his pre-injury form, and even if he does if he'll be able to progress beyond that (which he will need to), but injury not withstanding, I think he holds more promise than Newhouse. I think Newhouse is fantastic depth to have, but he makes a very average and inconsistent starter. I hope Sherrod continues to recover.

EDIT: I think Bulaga needs to stay at RT and continue to grow there. I'm not sure he would be much more than an average LT, and I think the Packers can come close to average at LT with Newhouse and Sherrod. Keep their established RT in his position where he has the ability to play at a high level.
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:37:26 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,033
Applause Received: 1,470

Bulaga is the RT so he is out of the equation.
Sherrod was drafted in the first round. It is his job to lose. If he has not recovered from his injuries or if he does not have the blocking techniques required they will go back to Newhouse.

I don't see Barclay or Datko getting the job unless two of these three fall flat on their faces.

UserPostedImage

Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:29:29 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

As of now, I think we will end up with Newhouse at LT, at least for the start of the season.

My hope for the Oline would be getting a LT in the Draft, Sherrod coming back healthy and taking over RT, and Bulaga, Lang and Newhouse fighting for RG, with the losers being our primary backups.

Positive thing is, if we don't get anybody, or those we get don't pan out right away, Newhouse is better than Clifton was he last few seasons.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:38:38 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Unless we sign a blue chip free agent this offseason, I see Marshall Newhouse to continue to progress as the starter at left tackle.

Bulaga has a long road ahead in recovery, and has proven himself to couple with Sitton to form a nice combination at the right end.

I hope Sherrod make the recovery and challenges for the spot, but I am not counting on it. Talent wise prior to his injury, yes I think he was a better prospect than Newhouse at that spot.. but I question that in what will be what 18 months of basic inactivity on the field? Doubt that he takes the spot.

Couple that with a decent but not spectacular season from Newhouse himself.. with only really two seasons of playing experience in the NFL. It is only going to improve.

Now the question should be.. should we be drafting a tackle early in the draft to start planning on replacing either bookend? If the talent is there.. yes.

Newhouse and Bulaga have contract years approaching.. now is the time to start growing options.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed