Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:36:15 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
There is no way Ted Thompson will ever ante up money for Jackson. And I pray to God in thanks for that.

Jackson is exactly why Ted Thompson doesn't play in the FA market. Why pay top/ high dollar for someone on the downhill side of their career? And Jackson is declining. Maybe if Jackson would sign for the minimum, ok. But anything above that? No.

Defensively, MLB is more of a need to me than safety. Hawk is average and needs replaced in 2014 anyway. Our next 2 are coming off major injuries and are a concern. Jones did well, all things considered, but... Upgrades are very necessary, in my opinion.


I agree. Harris will be great, if they just give the guy the carries. Green too.

As for Hawk, Ted invested quite a lot in him, and his ceilings are readily apparent. I thought he played much better this year, but he remains a bit of of a liability in coverage across the middle, and seems just a bit slow for the position. Brad Jones, while I thought his play improved as well, I just don't see him as a nose for the ball kind of MLB that we need to shut down the run at the line. He seems too small and has difficulty getting off blocks. His 2 sacks came against JAX and TEN. I thought his height would help him more in coverage.

We could use a real upgrade in the middle of our Linebacking corps. Right now, it seems we don't have those players you fear over the middle.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
QCHuskerFan on 1/17/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:07:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

Offensive needs: C, WR, QB

Defensive needs: NT, OLB, S
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:09:17 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Do we switch to a 4-3? That could really factor in big with how we approach this draft.

NE made the switch last season, and it wasn't without some pain for them. DAL looks to be making the switch. A good 3-4 takes some special players, and we appear short on some of those up front. It will be interesting to see how they go from here to upgrade our D. Regardless of scheme, I do think MLB is a position calling out for an upgrade, even if Bish comes back.

Figure Perry and Worthy are both prototypical 4-3 players. It wouldn't take a whole lot to make that change. I would love to see some giants added to our DL, players who can bull rush to the passer, and who are stout against the run.
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:25:01 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 12/30/2010(UTC)

Applause Given: 84
Applause Received: 149

I don't see the switch happening. Management likes the 3-4 because it is easier/ cheaper to find 8 LB's than it is to find 8 DL. The 3-4 is arguably better for special teams also because you have more LB's instead of DL available.

Then there is our current roster. CM3 is a special player in the 3-4. In the 4-3, he would be wasted. Much like Aaron Kampman was in the transition the other way. The difference is CM3>>>>> Kampy. So why would you make a change that essentially nullifies your best player? It would be like installing the Wildcat on Offense. If you take Aaron Rodgers away from the ball, the other team wins. Putting Matthews as a 4-3 LB would be to the advantage of the Bears, Lions, etc.

But I've been wrong before. Lots. More than anyone else, I bet. Just ask my wife.
Offline RajiRoar  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:53:30 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/30/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 40
Applause Received: 244

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
CM3>>>>> Kampy.


dontchu talk bad about kampy!Shame on you

you used way too many ">"s.



MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline play2win  
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:05:01 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I don't see the switch happening. Management likes the 3-4 because it is easier/ cheaper to find 8 LB's than it is to find 8 DL. The 3-4 is arguably better for special teams also because you have more LB's instead of DL available.

Then there is our current roster. CM3 is a special player in the 3-4. In the 4-3, he would be wasted. Much like Aaron Kampman was in the transition the other way. The difference is CM3>>>>> Kampy. So why would you make a change that essentially nullifies your best player? It would be like installing the Wildcat on Offense. If you take Aaron Rodgers away from the ball, the other team wins. Putting Matthews as a 4-3 LB would be to the advantage of the Bears, Lions, etc.

But I've been wrong before. Lots. More than anyone else, I bet. Just ask my wife.


Hey, I was looking up some switch history articles earlier, one on NE's switch to a 4-3, and some commentary about what GB might expect in doing the same. Author had exact same response regarding Matthews. I just do not see it quite like the Kampman thing at all. Matthews is great in coverage. He's also adept at blowing up running plays. But, I do see an advantage to keeping him as a pass rusher in a 3-4. Matthews is a true LB with awesome pass rush skills. Kampman was a true DE with awesome pass rush skills, but not many of those guys can cover well.

We just need better players at a couple of key positions to shore up our weaknesses.

... and my wife would never tell you that I'm ever wrong... Big Grin ugh. I just hope Perry and Worthy come back healthy, and that we can add the right talent at the right positions.
Offline RajiRoar  
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:31:30 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/30/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 40
Applause Received: 244

we won't go back to a 4-3, Mike McCarthy said something to the effect of wishing he'd switched to a 3-4 earlier. after we hired Dom/fired Sanders.


MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline PackerTraxx  
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:04:19 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

One of the advantages for years was that most teams ran a 4-3 so there were more 3-4 type players available for the teams that ran it. The year we switched I believe there were 10 or 12 other teams that also switched. Add this to the teams that were running it and the talent pool became somewhat diluted. At least that's a theory of mine. On the other hand the players just keep getting bigger and faster so I'm not sure what effect this has overall.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 1/17/2013(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:15:11 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 12/30/2010(UTC)

Applause Given: 84
Applause Received: 149

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Hey, I was looking up some switch history articles earlier, one on NE's switch to a 4-3, and some commentary about what GB might expect in doing the same. Author had exact same response regarding Matthews. I just do not see it quite like the Kampman thing at all. Matthews is great in coverage. He's also adept at blowing up running plays. But, I do see an advantage to keeping him as a pass rusher in a 3-4. Matthews is a true LB with awesome pass rush skills. Kampman was a true DE with awesome pass rush skills, but not many of those guys can cover well.

We just need better players at a couple of key positions to shore up our weaknesses.

... and my wife would never tell you that I'm ever wrong... Big Grin ugh. I just hope Perry and Worthy come back healthy, and that we can add the right talent at the right positions.


My analogy with Kampman was in taking arguably the best player in our front 7 and moving him out of his best position to make plays. Kampy was a great 4-3 end. He was a fair (being gentle!) OLB. CM3 is arguably one of the best defensive playmakers in the business. He would be a good OLB in a 4-3. But he is a great OLB in a 3-4. Put your playmakers in a position to make plays.

Different analogy. Would you consider installing a Zone Read offense for AR? No, because every time he would run would be one less time he could pass. He's a top 3 QB in the league. So why change and take him out of his element?

Another thought. Most of us see a need for better DL next year. That's with only filling 6 positions. Imagine what our quality would be like if we had to fill 8? If you can't find 6 good wide bodies, what makes you think we could find 8?
Offline DakotaT  
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:28:41 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

To me, our biggest need is DL, and that depends on the resigning of Pickett. Raji and Pickett should be platooning at the NT position, not playing next to each other, so they can stay fresh. But that would mean Mike Neal needs to stay healthy and take the next step, along with Worthy at the other DE. So I could see us picking up another DE with a high pick, and a developmental NT is definitely needed because Daniels is just not big enough to play the position. I fully expect to see Pickett resigned because I think he wants to be a Packer and will take a little less to stay. There is no such thing as being too stacked on the DL.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 1/17/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#26 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:22:17 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
To me, our biggest need is DL, and that depends on the resigning of Pickett. Raji and Pickett should be platooning at the NT position, not playing next to each other, so they can stay fresh. But that would mean Mike Neal needs to stay healthy and take the next step, along with Worthy at the other DE. So I could see us picking up another DE with a high pick, and a developmental NT is definitely needed because Daniels is just not big enough to play the position. I fully expect to see Pickett resigned because I think he wants to be a Packer and will take a little less to stay. There is no such thing as being too stacked on the DL.



Assuming they don't go back to a 4-3 with Perry moving to DE.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Pack93z  
#27 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:56:52 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 396
Applause Received: 1,073

Pickett has another year on his contract unless I missed something in the last couple days.

High cap number.. but still signed. Are you stating he should be reworked at a lower number?
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:59:37 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/17/2012(UTC)
Location: Hanover Park, IL

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

What about Benson? Will he be back next year? Him and Arod seem very close. I wouldn't mind him and Harris splitting carries.

Message modified by user Friday, January 18, 2013 12:15:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline nerdmann  
#29 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:51:36 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
What about Benson? Will he be back next year? Him and Arod seem very close. I wouldn't him and Harris splitting carries.


Can't rely on that foot. It's been a problem before.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#30 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:24:55 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I don't see the switch happening. Management likes the 3-4 because it is easier/ cheaper to find 8 LB's than it is to find 8 DL. The 3-4 is arguably better for special teams also because you have more LB's instead of DL available.

Then there is our current roster. CM3 is a special player in the 3-4. In the 4-3, he would be wasted. Much like Aaron Kampman was in the transition the other way. The difference is CM3>>>>> Kampy. So why would you make a change that essentially nullifies your best player? It would be like installing the Wildcat on Offense. If you take Aaron Rodgers away from the ball, the other team wins. Putting Matthews as a 4-3 LB would be to the advantage of the Bears, Lions, etc.

But I've been wrong before. Lots. More than anyone else, I bet. Just ask my wife.


While I am not proposing a swith to 4-3. Matthews would not be wasted as a 4-3 LBer. He could make an outstanding MLB in a 4-3. He would be like Urlacher. His pass rush ability would allow him to keep blockers off him in run support, he has the coverage skills and his speed would work good covering sideline to sideline.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages<1234>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

21h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

22-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

21-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

21-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Yerko

21-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan