Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:34:06 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,966
Applause Received: 1,429

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
The problem is players, fans and sports writers are all biased, positively and negatively. So it will never be perfect. But only the players and coaches voting would most likely be the most accurate.

As far as the game - it's a joke. There's no effort, and why should there be. Back in the day the extra money from winning really meant something to the players. But now it's like telling a centa-millionaire you'll give him give him a buck to pick up a six pack of beer. Also, players don't want to risk injury with that type of money on the line for their careers. I think everyone would be better served to just have a presentation banquet.

The HOF has somewhat gone this wayward also...see my sig.

players are not any better when it comes to voting than the fans.

most of them don't want to be bothered. they do the voting after practice. they are in a hurry to get out of there. some of the guys ask who did the fans pick and they then pick the same guy.

I doubt coaches put in a lot more effort. none of the coaches seems to talk about it.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline PackerTraxx  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:43:37 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Point taken, but at least the players and coaches are more knowledgeable even though we as fans don't think so. You mean they can't go home until they vote?
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:46:05 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 305
Applause Received: 423

The Pro-Bowl should be eliminated, but the voting should go on.
Players should still be able to win the award and say they were a pro-bowl caliber player for that year.

Instead of making them play a game, just give them a Hawaiian vacation and have them do appearances for the week.

The game has become a joke, hell by the time most high profile players back out, the game consists of middle of the road players anyway.

Not to get off the topic but here is a little advice for the younger posters out there, those who have not committed to a long time relationship.

If you ever find yourself watching a game with a young lady who you think might be the one, and she asks you "if #12 is such a good bowler, why does he play football?"

You know then and there that everything might be fine now, but sooner or later you will have to move on.

Think Think Think
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:43:14 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 362

Just shows how good EDS is. He beat out a Pro-Bowler.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 12/27/2012(UTC), DakotaT on 12/27/2012(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 5:59:14 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
Point taken, but at least the players and coaches are more knowledgeable even though we as fans don't think so. You mean they can't go home until they vote?

It has been a year since I read anything on the players voting process. As I understand it on a specific day the player rep brings out the ballots. They vote. They have to turn them in that same day.

Keep in mind too the players also vote for old teammates and friends as well.

It is not as if players spend a lot of time watching tape on all the other players in the league. Defensive players watch the offensive players they are going to face. CM3 may not know a lot about DBs Oakland. Jody doesn't watch the OL for Jets. So they usually ask other players who to vote for.

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#21 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:33:20 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I didn't have it quite right. here's some insight into player voting.

Quote:

Count B.J. Raji among those who think the NFL would be better served having NFL scouts choose the Pro Bowl teams instead of the combined vote of fans, players and coaches.

The Green Bay Packers defensive lineman expressed no ill feelings for being left off this year’s team after making it last season, and he doesn’t mind the way the vote is conducted now.

But he suggested there’s a capriciousness to making the team under current rules, and that players’ votes can be influenced by irrelavent factors.

“There won’t be any bias there,” he said of having pro scouts voting. “The pro scouting department, they look at so much (video) tape, they know what they see, their eyes don’t lie type of thing. Like, you played against a guy, he cheap shot you, so you don’t like him, so you’re not going to vote him type thing. There’s no hard feelings (with the scouts).

“But this way is fine with me. It works. Last year I was in, I was happy. This year I didn’t get in, I’m not really upset but obviously as a player you’d like to get in. It happens. In the NFC, some years you’re going to have a good year and not make it, I’ve been through that, and some years you’re like, ‘OK, I did all right,’ and you wind up in the Pro Bowl.”

Raji said the players’ vote isn’t a league-wide aggregate, but is based on each team getting one vote per position. So the player at each position who gets the most votes by the Packers then gets one vote in the league voting. Offensive players vote for defensive players, and vice versa. Teams cannot vote for their own players.

Raji said that when he votes, he asks teammates about the best players they faced at their positions, but that not all players do that.

“Reputation has a lot to do with it,” he said. “I think also nationally televised games, as I alluded to earlier. It depends. Some guys I’ve heard they’ll vote for the worst guy on the list because they want one of their teammates to get on there. A lot of things that go into that shouldn’t.”

more

UserPostedImage