Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:49:53 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 360

The numbers don't agree. Here is the percentages we have run the ball.

06 - 40%, 07 - 40%, 08 - 44%, 09 - 44%, 10 - 43%, 11 - 41%.

As of current, this year we have run the ball 43% so we are pretty close to normal. For the number of plays run, 3% comes out <2 runs per game.

I don't think the problem is how often we run, more when those runs happen, and which runs are called.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/5/2012(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:56:20 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 76
Applause Received: 132

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
The numbers don't agree. Here is the percentages we have run the ball.

06 - 40%, 07 - 40%, 08 - 44%, 09 - 44%, 10 - 43%, 11 - 41%.

As of current, this year we have run the ball 43% so we are pretty close to normal. For the number of plays run, 3% comes out <2 runs per game.

I don't think the problem is how often we run, more when those runs happen, and which runs are called.

I have no doubt and no desire to question your numbers. But let's look at the games we have lost. In 3 of the 4 games, we went significant periods of time with essentially no attempts to run the ball. After each of those games, Mike McCarthy criticized his playcalling for the lack of balance.

Stats can be used to justify many things. During the Giants game, GB had 23 designed runs. Pretty good, especially when you consider there were 28 designed pass plays. Stats show good balance. But the truth is 7 of those runs occured in the last couple minutes of the game when Aaron Rodgers was already on the bench. There was a series in the second half when Aaron Rodgers attempted a pass 8 out of 9 plays. But the end of game stats look good, right?
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:04:46 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,047

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I have no doubt and no desire to question your numbers. But let's look at the games we have lost. In 3 of the 4 games, we went significant periods of time with essentially no attempts to run the ball. After each of those games, Mike McCarthy criticized his playcalling for the lack of balance.

Stats can be used to justify many things. During the Giants game, GB had 23 designed runs. Pretty good, especially when you consider there were 28 designed pass plays. Stats show good balance. But the truth is 7 of those runs occured in the last couple minutes of the game when Aaron Rodgers was already on the bench. There was a series in the second half when Aaron Rodgers attempted a pass 8 out of 9 plays. But the end of game stats look good, right?

Not to long ago on here.. I compiled the numbers during Rodgers tenure.. we won like 80% of our games in which we ran 20+ times with the backs vs like ~ 42 % when we don't. With only a ~ +/- 2% increase in 4th quarter carries.

Attached is through week 6 of this season.

The basis was to show the impact on other facets of the game.. I did not expect that much of a variance in win % compared to the number of carries. YPC didn't have much of an impact.. and the # of Pass Attempts in relationship didn't change much. 1.5 more pass attempts on average for the games in which the backs didn't carry it 20 times.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:26:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pack93z attached the following image(s):
PackRunStats.JPG (24kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline AKampfan78  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:14:13 AM(UTC)
AKampfan78

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 2

For the life of me I cannot remember where I read this, but earlier in the season when there was noise about practices lacking and the scout team not providing a solid look there was an interesting story posted. Apparently Philbin took the role of coaching the scout team every day. I am sure someone has filled that role, but with anything there is an adjustment period.

Personally I do think Philbin is missed more then we ever imagined he would be. That is also not an excuse for the way the team has played this year. But having to adjust to his absence is certainly a part of the equation!
In Heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here!
Hawkeye fan 4-Life!

Packers 3-1 in games I have attended (12/28/08 Lions, 9/27/09 Rams, 11/20/11 Buccaneers & 12/19/11 Chiefs)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:30:11 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Clements > Philbin

Van Pelt > Clememts
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?