You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline coltonja  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 1:56:44 PM(UTC)
coltonja

Applause Given: 52
Applause Received: 29

This has been a subject discussed throughout many threads over the past couplpe weeks, but I wanted to have a central location to see an answer from some of you guys.

Brad Jones, Jerron McMillian, M.D. Jennings, Davon House, Casey Hayward, Randall Cobb, James Jones, Dez Moses, Eric Walden, and maybe others (these were just guys off the top of my head that have outperformed expectations, either mine or others)

Who do you think has best exemplified the next man up mentality and/or outperformed expectations at this point in the season?

My pick would be Brad Jones. I remember watching him play OLB and he never seemed to make flashy plays or even be a contributor to the defense. But he has made some tackles for loss and seems to be an improvement in coverage over both Bish and Smith. All that from a third string, new MLB convert. Never thought that'd happen.
UserPostedImage

Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 2:15:20 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

My pick - Casey Hayward and Jerron McMillian, without those two cats stepping up and playing huge minutes with Shields and Woodson down.. I think we are in a world of hurt.

Brad Jones would be right there along with DJ Smith prior to injury.

And I would be amiss not mentioning James Jones and Cobb in the receiving corp with huge minutes being missed by Jennings and Nelson.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 11/19/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 2:15:33 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,743
Applause Received: 1,792

I would say Jeff Saturday because Aaron Rodgers hasn't been killed yet.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
play2win on 11/19/2012(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 2:33:23 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 844
Applause Received: 547

No question Brad Jones is at the top of the long list, along with Hayward, McMillian, James Jones, Eric Walden, Randall Cobb, EDS, TJ Lang, Des Moses, MD Jennings and Alex Green. They've all stepped up and contributed well in place of starters. Hey, even Mike Neal makes the list. He played well after Raji was first injured, and has continued to do so.

If I had to pick just one, it would be a very difficult call between Brad Jones and Casey Hayward.
Offline GermanGilbert  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 4:02:34 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 70

For me it's not the next man up, but the next team up. If you've told me before the season that Dez Moses, Erik Walden, Casey Hayward, Jerron McMillian and M.D. Jennings are the guys to keep the Packers in the game, I would have expected a blowout in every single game. Seeing all the veterans play in 2011 and putting together the league's worst defense yardagewise, you cannot rate high enough what all those young second stringers did this season. We have to give Ted Thompson tons of credit for putting together this incredible depth, I don't see any other team in the league that could put up a 7-3 being banged by injuries of key players as the Packers are.

Just an incredible performance by all of these kids, so I don't want to give the nod to one of the guys.
blank
play2win on 11/20/2012(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 4:16:34 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

My vote would have to go to a defensive player because of how awful they were last season and Hayward has been playing amazing football. The others have as well but Hayward is all over my tv every game.

Offensively, the nod would go to Randall Cobb. Everyone knew this kid was going to be a good player but he had to fill the openings quickly with both Jennings and Nelson out (add Benson too with some of his RB play). Again, Cobb is all over my tv every game.

These two young guys have stepped in and done amazing work. The other guys deserve credit as well and the list is nice and long.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 8:31:16 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,405
Applause Received: 1,195

hayward is it foe me.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline steveishere  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 9:35:29 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 599

James Jones.

Hes one guy who has not only filled in but seriously upped his game. He has caught everything and made some huge plays. Heyward and Jones have been good as well but they were both kind of unknowns and people didn't really doubt them because nobody had seen them at the positions they are playing before. James Jones had many doubters and fans wanting to trade him, cut his pay etc...
Offline stevegb  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 11:29:29 PM(UTC)
stevegb

Applause Given: 9
Applause Received: 4

My selection would be Casey Hayward for sure, kids stepping up and showing superstar potential and its not just his nose for the ball its everything his coverage is unbelievable for a rookie.
blank
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:19:01 AM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 155
Applause Received: 105

This is good news for a change.

http://espnwisconsin.com...p;r=40&post_id=15311

Or ???????????????,who knows with the Packers medical staff?
Wisconsin Born,Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:38:07 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 844
Applause Received: 547

Speaking of which (regarding Raji's ankle), how about Mike Daniels? This kid is also playing very well in the middle of our DL. He has been a great surprise from the 4th round.
Offline beast  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:41:56 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 211

Originally Posted by: coltonja Go to Quoted Post
This has been a subject discussed throughout many threads over the past couplpe weeks, but I wanted to have a central location to see an answer from some of you guys.

Brad Jones, Jerron McMillian, M.D. Jennings, Davon House, Casey Hayward, Randall Cobb, James Jones, Dez Moses, Eric Walden, and maybe others (these were just guys off the top of my head that have outperformed expectations, either mine or others)

Who do you think has best exemplified the next man up mentality and/or outperformed expectations at this point in the season?

My pick would be Brad Jones. I remember watching him play OLB and he never seemed to make flashy plays or even be a contributor to the defense. But he has made some tackles for loss and seems to be an improvement in coverage over both Bish and Smith. All that from a third string, new MLB convert. Never thought that'd happen.

I don't think one person can best exemplified the next man up philosophy, as I believe it's a group philosophy and needs a group. But I'd have to say Pickett, Lang and Hayward have done a VERY GOOD job of playing more than role in this defense when a guy has gotten hurt. If I had to pick one, it'd be Hayward.

But I think the group that has best exemplified the next man up philosophy is the CB group.

1) The coaches move Woodson to Safety/Nickel CB role, House steps up in the preseason
2) House gets injured the coaches put Bush in... he struggles, Shields steps ups
3) Shields get injuried, Hayward steps up
4) Woodson gets injured and Hayward and healthy House step up in nickel
America's team... of the people, by the people, for the people
UserPostedImage
~ made by pack93z
Offline Yerko  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:57:04 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Speaking of which (regarding Raji's ankle), how about Mike Daniels? This kid is also playing very well in the middle of our DL. He has been a great surprise from the 4th round.

His nickname while at Iowa was "Diesel Daniels". There was a play where he was running after a scrambling Stafford to the sideline and my jaw dropped at how fast that kid was moving. He has a great motor and never gives up on a play.

UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:12:42 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 119
Applause Received: 211

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
His nickname while at Iowa was "Diesel Daniels". There was a play where he was running after a scrambling Stafford to the sideline and my jaw dropped at how fast that kid was moving. He has a great motor and never gives up on a play.

A few weeks ago, I said he looked like a fat LBer at times... would make an interesting LB in the phycho package (which no coverage role).
America's team... of the people, by the people, for the people
UserPostedImage
~ made by pack93z