Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
12 Pages«<678910>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline doddpower  
#106 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 12:11:29 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,715
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Could it be, that Finley was having drops because he was getting targeted more, now that the targets have shifted, Cobb has as many drops as Finley.


I don't have time to dig through football stats at the moment. All I can say is I know Randall Cobb has been consistently producing recently and Finley hasn't contributed much. It's one thing to drop passes, but if one is still producing, it's not as big of a deal. But several drops in addition to a lack of production isn't good. I'd be looking for Randall Cobb before Finley, unquestionably (and Nelson, Jennings, and Jones). Unfortunately, I'm not the QB of the Packers, though. =/


EDIT: And constant talk to the media doesn't help his case, even if it's minor comments. Just shut up and keep practicing and playing hard.

Finley's comments Re: Jags game: http://profootballtalk.n...d-after-beating-jaguars/
Offline Pack93z  
#107 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 12:20:20 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,752
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

I don't have much issue with Finley on the football field past his showboating nonsense over a rather routine play. He is helping the team through simply lining up.. if he can straighten out his drop issue (which apparently is almost flawless in practice, which probably is more mental than physical) all the better.


But he has to learn to either explain his points better or calm down and keep his emotions in check while talking to the press. Or stop talking so they don't nitpick them apart.

Yesterday it is the defense against the offense.. yada yada yada. I wish he would just calm down the talk in the press and let his actions show the way.

I firmly believe he has a fragile ego and needs to psych himself up in compensation.. let all this nonsense of chemistry go and just relax, play the game and catch the football.

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#108 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:10:30 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,656
Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I don't have time to dig through football stats at the moment. All I can say is I know Randall Cobb has been consistently producing recently and Finley hasn't contributed much. It's one thing to drop passes, but if one is still producing, it's not as big of a deal. But several drops in addition to a lack of production isn't good. I'd be looking for Randall Cobb before Finley, unquestionably (and Nelson, Jennings, and Jones). Unfortunately, I'm not the QB of the Packers, though. =/


EDIT: And constant talk to the media doesn't help his case, even if it's minor comments. Just shut up and keep practicing and playing hard.

Finley's comments Re: Jags game: http://profootballtalk.n...d-after-beating-jaguars/


And what is wrong with his comments? Was he not right?

Is it suprising that Finley has gone down in production, when Jennings has been out of games, when defenses can shift coverages to him? NO. Is is suprising that Cobb has increased? NO. It was expected. Much of Cobbs production comes from routes that get cleared by Finley pulling coverage away.

The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 10/29/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#109 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:12:52 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,752
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Is is suprising that Cobb has increased? NO. It was expected. Much of Cobbs production comes from routes that get cleared by Finley pulling coverage away.



This is what many are missing in terms of what Finley does for us passed the catches (and drops) and his other contributions to the team.

That defenses still fear him.. and as long as he does that, he still is a production player for the Packers. Catches and impact plays are a bonus.



I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#110 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:25:56 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,906
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,300
Applause Received: 575

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
This is what many are missing in terms of what Finley does for us passed the catches (and drops) and his other contributions to the team.

That defenses still fear him.. and as long as he does that, he still is a production player for the Packers. Catches and impact plays are a bonus.





DO they still fear him?

He's still tall, but he's not nearly as athletic as pre-knee injury, imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Pack93z  
#111 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:33:38 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Posts: 12,752
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
DO they still fear him?

He's still tall, but he's not nearly as athletic as pre-knee injury, imo.


Watch the coverage.. IMO, yes they still fear him.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline doddpower  
#112 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:12:32 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,715
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Watch the coverage.. IMO, yes they still fear him.


From my initial views of all the snaps, I'm not convinced they "fear" him. They cover him, yes, but I wouldn't call it fear. He's accounted for, and that helps, but his impact lately has not been monumental. I've got most of the games recorded, so I'll try to go back through if I have time, but at this point I'm not convinced. Finley hasn't gotten a lot of separation in some time now.
Offline doddpower  
#113 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:19:47 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,715
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
And what is wrong with his comments? Was he not right?

Is it suprising that Finley has gone down in production, when Jennings has been out of games, when defenses can shift coverages to him? NO. Is is suprising that Cobb has increased? NO. It was expected. Much of Cobbs production comes from routes that get cleared by Finley pulling coverage away.




If Finley can only be very productive with Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and James Jones are on the field, than that makes him an average tight end, imo. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Not all players are elite. But a truly great tight end will still produce. The rest of the Packers surrounding cast is still really good, including the guy throwing him the ball. There should be more room for Finley, but he simply doesn't get a lot of separation and has developed a pattern of untimely drops. It is what it is, but it's too bad he hasn't been able to consistently produced at the same level he showed earlier in his career.

The Packer's can easily make it by with just an average Finley, but not for long with that price tag. He's not getting paid like an average tight end, and the Packers aren't going to have much cash to spare.

As for his comments, it's not a matter of whether what he has ever said is right or wrong. I just don't like to hear that kind of stuff continually spoken to the media, especially given some of his previous comments. Keep it in house. Any statement he makes to the media isn't likely to help the on-field production, so what's the point? The risk vs. reward isn't worth it. If he was producing big time, I really wouldn't care what he said, within reason. But when a player isn't producing much, I really don't want to hear their opinions of their teammates performances. I'm sure others feel differently.
Offline nerdmann  
#114 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:26:23 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,906
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,300
Applause Received: 575

Dude's a glorified Donald Lee.

Hoping Quarless pushes him down the stretch.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline doddpower  
#115 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:30:30 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Posts: 2,715
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 1,774
Applause Received: 418

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Dude's a glorified Donald Lee.

Hoping Quarless pushes him down the stretch.


I think the biggest issue with Finley is many still view him or have feelings towards him as an elite tight end. He simply isn't, imo. Eventually, people will adjust their expectations, but it will likely be once he's no longer a member of the Packers. It's not a huge deal. The Packers have plenty of players that aren't "elite." There is certainly still a role for such players. For whatever reason, though, that perception lingers with Finley. Perhaps he'll be able to become an "elite" player at some point again, but I'm not overly optimistic about that.

EDIT: I know it's another pipe dream that would never happen, but I'd rather have Jared Cook Jr. of the Titans that recently requested a trade rather than Finley. He has played as good or better than Finley, and seems to have more upside at this point.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#116 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:38:49 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Posts: 2,656
Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
If Finley can only be very productive with Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and James Jones are on the field, than that makes him an average tight end, imo. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Not all players are elite. But a truly great tight end will still produce. The rest of the Packers surrounding cast is still really good, including the guy throwing him the ball. There should be more room for Finley, but he simply doesn't get a lot of separation and has developed a pattern of untimely drops. It is what it is, but it's too bad he hasn't been able to consistently produced at the same level he showed earlier in his career.

The Packer's can easily make it by with just an average Finley, but not for long with that price tag. He's not getting paid like an average tight end, and the Packers aren't going to have much cash to spare.

As for his comments, it's not a matter of whether what he has ever said is right or wrong. I just don't like to hear that kind of stuff continually spoken to the media, especially given some of his previous comments. Keep it in house. Any statement he makes to the media isn't likely to help the on-field production, so what's the point? The risk vs. reward isn't worth it. If he was producing big time, I really wouldn't care what he said, within reason. But when a player isn't producing much, I really don't want to hear their opinions of their teammates performances. I'm sure others feel differently.


Now his value vs his price is an issue that can be looked at, its the Drops, Besides a couple games early this year, he hasn't had a drop problem, and 1/2 of those I wouldnt' even consider drops, yet it is constantly talked about.

As for his comments, people, media mostly, WANT to make them into something so they have topics to talk about. When in reality, they are nothing.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#117 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 3:10:13 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Posts: 1,912
Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 229

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
EDIT: And constant talk to the media doesn't help his case, even if it's minor comments. Just shut up and keep practicing and playing hard.

Finley's comments Re: Jags game: http://profootballtalk.n...d-after-beating-jaguars/


Unfortunately, he is right about most of these things said. He isn't doing himself any favors saying these things though. He says he isn't pointing fingers but it sure seems like it to me and I'm not so sure how the media can twist those comments exactly.

Whatever.

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#118 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 3:55:23 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Now his value vs his price is an issue that can be looked at, its the Drops, Besides a couple games early this year, he hasn't had a drop problem, and 1/2 of those I wouldnt' even consider drops, yet it is constantly talked about.

As for his comments, people, media mostly, WANT to make them into something so they have topics to talk about. When in reality, they are nothing.


I agree with everything but the comment about drops. Yes, a lot of his drops are kind of borderline where the pass was either behind him, or he needed to fight for the ball. The problem is that he doesn't have speed (anymore), he isn't great at blocking, and he isn't making the hard catches (and earlier in the year, the easy catches). On top of all of that, I think people don't like the fact that he tends to "showboat" (or get excited and dance a bit) after seemingly routine plays, oftentimes not too long after he drops a manageable one. He is who he is, Clay Matthews has that kind of attitude and showboats a fair amount, although Matthews is a completely different caliber of player.

I've given James Jones tons of crap for his drops in the past, however he's never been one to draw attention to himself (intentionally or otherwise) and he HAS dramatically improved with the dropsies this year in particular. Finley was outstanding before he got hurt, I really do feel for the guy and I don't think he WANTS to draw attention and drama to himself, but he does. Some of that is on him, a lot of that is on the media for wanting to make a story about nothing, but the fact of the matter is that he is playing like an utterly average first or second string TE and he is getting paid a lot more than he is worth. That in and of itself isn't bad, people are just going to be a lot harder on a guy when he goes from very good to average versus someone very average. Perceptions about his attitude, real or imagined don't help either.

Hell, maybe I should just straight-up calling for Finley's head. It turned Jones, the special teams, and Jarret Bush around, and I'd love to have Finley make me look like an asshole.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#119 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:48:18 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Posts: 25,655
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,995

Jason Witten, Rob Gronkowski, and Jimmy Graham all have more dropped passes than Jermichael Finley.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Porforis  
#120 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:20:50 AM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Posts: 2,738
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Jason Witten, Rob Gronkowski, and Jimmy Graham all have more dropped passes than Jermichael Finley.


And I have less dropped passes than Finley, doesn't mean I have superior hands. I'm willing to bet all of the above (especially Gronkowski) have significantly more targets.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
12 Pages«<678910>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dulak

1h / Random Babble / porky88

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

3h / Random Babble / MontanaBob

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Dexter_Sinister

8h / Announcements / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / 68md

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

14h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / QCHuskerFan

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / StarrMax1


Tweeter

Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.