You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:49:33 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,190

Joe Arrigo, I love to read your stuff. But I usually do so over at Chatters as a lurker - but don't tell Zero cause he'll get all possessive like an insane woman. Thanks for coming over here and helping out my boys with some new material. I really enjoy your OTS columns, btw aren't you due for one soon?
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 7:48:27 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,787

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Joe Arrigo, I love to read your stuff. But I usually do so over at Chatters as a lurker - but don't tell Zero cause he'll get all possessive like an insane woman. Thanks for coming over here and helping out my boys with some new material. I really enjoy your OTS columns, btw aren't you due for one soon?

YOU DIRTY STINKY ROTTEN PINEAPPLE SMELLING FROG LICKING TRAITOR!!!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Pack93z  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:07:00 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 352
Applause Received: 932

A couple of jokes

Quote:
A woman hears from her doctor that she has only half a year to live. The doctor advises her to marry a beekeeper and to move with him to Minnesota. The woman asks: "Will this cure my illness?" The doctor replies: "No, but the half year will seem pretty long."

Quote:
A traveler wandering on an island inhabited by cannibals comes upon a butcher shop. This shop specialized in human brains sorted out according to source. The sign in the shop read:

Artists' Brains $9/lb
Philosophers' Brains $12/lb
Scientists' Brains $15/lb
Beekeepers' Brains $100/lb

Upon reading the sign, the traveler noted, "My, those beekeepers' brains are expensive - they must be very powerful!" The butcher replied, "Not really. They're expensive because it takes so many beekeepers to get one pound of brains!!"

Quote:
A young man showed up to work for the old beekeeper. First day on the job. The beekeeper says, "Paint all those bee hives." The young man looks at all that work and says, "You don't seem to realize - I have a College Education." The old beekeeper thinks for a minute and says, "I'm sorry. I'll show you how to hold the paint brush."

Anyway... on topic.

For years.. I spent an abundant amount of time on kids coming out and which ones would fit into the system. Looked at all the clips I could find on kids.. made serious efforts and trying to predict whom we would take and how the first round would play out.

I always knew the odds were stacked against you getting much correct, but the last decade or so with the CBA not protecting the teams interest at the top of the draft, you could at least fairly predict the first 10 to 15 picks.

Now with the CBA reworked and teams not as gun shy about moving up into the blue chip spots of the draft, it will make it nearly impossible to even venture a guess.

And I like it.. but it will squash my ambition to partake into Mock drafts even more.

Give me a ticket inside a draft room with some real insight that may change.. but I don't see that ticket coming.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Yared-Yam  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:08:59 AM(UTC)
Yared-Yam

Quote:
Round 2 (2): Ronnell Lewis- OLB- Oklahoma
The Packers need to upgrade the pass rush opposite of Clay Matthews and Lewis is the perfect fit and person to do that. McCarthy inted at his combine press conference that he would like to get faster, tougher and have better tackling on the that side of the ball, Lewis provides all three. He has all world talent but there are questions about his attitude which will cause him to slip into the 2nd or even 3rd round. Lewis was late to 9 meetings (5 optional) while at OU as well as got into a "heated conversation" with the then DC Venerable. He also at times plays undisciplined. Lewis loves to hit and he plays the run exceptionally well. He has enough speed to become a good pass rusher but needs to needs to work on his pass rush moves and Lewis has really good coverage skills as well. He can also be an All-Pro player on ST as well.

That sure screams Packer Person to me.
#7 Ingle Martin Supporter

The voice of REASON
Offline Stevetarded  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:33:38 AM(UTC)
Stevetarded

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
I knew this was a bullshit article when I read "This draft I see Thompson focusing on the defense but trying to add quality players when he can on offense. None of the offensive players would be expected to make an instant impact in 2012, unlike last year with Randall Cobb, rather fill-out the roster and provide even more depth to an already deep team."

We need tons of help on defense but draft offensive players? We are far from a deep team, 2010 was a fluke year and we had everything fall into place for us. In 2009 our defense sucked and once again we sucked in 2011. I personally don't think this is as deep as everyone claims. Our offensive line is still a mess, we don't have a solid running game, and our defense wouldn't even be great in college. We need to stop kidding ourselves and realize we have a lot of holes on this team and that includes the coaching staff.

Well he was referring to the offense which is indeed pretty damn deep considering they obliterated a playoff team without the #1 WR and starting QB. Not to mention the line in that game consisted of the 2nd string LT, LG, and 4th string RT.
blank
Online wpr  
#21 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 9:20:10 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,400
Applause Received: 1,188

Arrigo,
I failed to say that I do believe the chances of Uncle Teddy trading out of the first round are pretty high.

edit- I thought it looked like GB was getting a lot. So I looked at one of those dubious trade calculators. It would be more like a 2nd and 5th than 2nd, 3rd and 5th.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 10:47:57 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Arrigo,
I failed to say that I do believe the chances of Uncle Teddy trading out of the first round are pretty high.

edit- I thought it looked like GB was getting a lot. So I looked at one of those dubious trade calculators. It would be more like a 2nd and 5th than 2nd, 3rd and 5th.

I'm going to have to take claim if the Packers trade out of round 1, since I'm the one who said it first and gave great reasons as to why it'll probably happen! :) (Sorry Joe, this one is mine!!!) :P

Edit, I apologize Joe for those who ran wild with the thread. This being the off-season, normally I'm down with that, but it's clear you spent a lot of time into this post and I feel it deserves more focus to it ... even though I think you're nuts about the Packers tagging Matt Flynn. :)

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2012 1:03:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#23 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:03:17 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,400
Applause Received: 1,188

Arrigo I again apologize for blowing up your thread. I meant no disrespect.

Few questions/comments:

You have Bush leaving- He has been outstanding on ST. Do you feel GB doesn't want him because of his poor play on defense or do you feel another team will overvalue him and offer him more than GB feels he is worth?

If Walden and Zombo are gone do you see Jones as able to start at OLB? Has he developed enough for Ted to release both other players? I don't know if GB will go for Lewis. He may be all that they need for the position but as you said he has issues with his attitude. In general ted has avoided players like this in the past. Why the change?

You have them drafting 15 players. I don't think there are that many holes to fill. I could see Ted packaging a few of the picks to move up (outside the 1st round) and grabbing a better quality player than stock piling picks. And yes I know he can't trade compensation picks.

Assuming the need in the secondary is there your first 5 picks are all need picks. Ted seems to grab BPA picks that leave everyone wondering why he went the route he did. (Personally I wouldn't mind if he did address these needs) Ted also seems to find players who fall due to their injury history and feels they are worth the gamble. I am not familiar with most college players have you factored that into your choices?

With DD coming back with his restructured contract I don't see them picking 2 WR. Looking for another TE would make more sense to me since Quarless was injured.

All in all you picked a lot of different positions. I like it. As I mentioned it is a bit frustrating to see Ted grab several players at the same position while seemingly ignoring other positions that seem to be more of a need. But then what the heck do I know?

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2012 2:46:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: I hate having typos

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#24 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:35:38 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,105
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Arrigo I again apologize for blowing up your thread. I meant no disrespect.

Few questions/comments:

You have Bush leaving- He has been outstanding on ST. Do you feel GB doesn't want him because of his poor play on defense or do you feel another team will overvalue him and offer him more than GB feels he is worth?

If Walden and Zombo are gone do you see Jones as able to start at OLB? Has he developed enough for Ted to release both other players? I don't know if GB will go for Lewis. He may be all that they need for the position but as you said he has issues with his attitude. In general ted has avoided players like this in the past. Why the change?

You have them drafting 15 players. I don't think there are that many holes to fill. I could see Ted packaging a few of the picks to move up (outside the 1st round) and grabbing a better quality player than stock piling picks. And yes I know he can't trade compensation picks.

Assuming the need in the secondary is there your first 5 picks are all need picks. Ted seems to grab BPA picks that leave everyone wondering why he went the route he did. (Personally I wouldn't mind if he did address these needs) Ted also seems to find players who falls due to their injury history and feels they are worth the gamble. I am not familiar with most college players hove you factored that into your choices?

With DD coming back with his restructured contract I don't see them picking 2 WR. Looking for another TE would make more sense to me since Quarless was injured.

All in all you picked a lot of different positions. I like it. As I mentioned it is a bit frustrating to see Ted grab several players at the same position while seemingly ignoring other positions that seem to be more of a need. But then what the heck do I know?

Another team will overpay for Bush, imo. He might still be back, but I think teams value him as a ST'er.

As for Brad Jones, his value is in his versatility. He can play inside or outside. It's possible he might take a big step this year, since he'll have another offseason in the system but at this point I think he is what he is.

If we get another stud DE, we can get by with Zombo, Walden and Jones, just like we did in '10. But man I'd love to see us grab a nasty playmaker at OLB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline zombieslayer  
#25 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:49:57 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Bush isn't going anywhere. He's a fantastic ST player and despite what people think, he's serviceable as a #5 CB. Bush gets blamed for the injury bug when we should be blaming the injury bug. Find me better #5 CBs, then you're free to complain about Bush.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline DakotaT  
#26 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:50:40 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Another team will overpay for Bush, imo. He might still be back, but I think teams value him as a ST'er.

As for Brad Jones, his value is in his versatility. He can play inside or outside. It's possible he might take a big step this year, since he'll have another offseason in the system but at this point I think he is what he is.

If we get another stud DE, we can get by with Zombo, Walden and Jones, just like we did in '10. But man I'd love to see us grab a nasty playmaker at OLB.

My partner in the Dojo of Coolness - no, no, emphatically no - can we get by with the three stooges at OLB. I've seen this movie many times. The 3-4 requires studs at both OLB positions, which means we need to draft some talent.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#27 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:54:07 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Bush isn't going anywhere. He's a fantastic ST player and despite what people think, he's serviceable as a #5 CB. Bush gets blamed for the injury bug when we should be blaming the injury bug. Find me better #5 CBs, then you're free to complain about Bush.

Would a more intelligent but less athletic #5 work in your mind? I love the effort Bush gives, but I don't think he has the cerebral ability needed for corner in the NFL. Of course there was that pick in the SB wasn't there? Man did Pittsburgh blow that game with Wood and Shields on the sideline. Let's run the ball, thanks Tomlin.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 3:03:10 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post

I think Jarrett Bush is going to be this years James Jones, in the sense that his value to the Packers outweighs the risk of signing him to enough money to pull him away from the Packers.

The players like and respect Jarrett Bush too. I think that has to say something about Bush.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#29 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 3:49:59 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,105
Applause Received: 470

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
My partner in the Dojo of Coolness - no, no, emphatically no - can we get by with the three stooges at OLB. I've seen this movie many times. The 3-4 requires studs at both OLB positions, which means we need to draft some talent.

It'd be nice.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Yerko  
#30 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 4:26:33 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

Didn't know that stuff about Ronnell Lewis but that stuff sounds a bit minor for people to already be screaming "that's not Packer people!"

He is a great player and with good coaching and being surrounded by veterans like Woodson, Matthews, Raji, etc etc. those flaws can easily be overlooked.
UserPostedImage