You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

14 Pages«<11121314>
Share
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rockmolder  
#181 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 10:23:16 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Netherlands
Posts: 6,344
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 143
Applause Received: 216

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
If someone wants to be enough of an idiot to call a tree his wife, I don't see why I should stand in his way. Why should marriage be a matter of allowed vs. disallowed? The only reason to disallow marriage is to preserve certain privileges and benefits of marriage, which I don't think should accrue to married people anyway.


On the positive side, if you put that tree in the kitchen, it'll actually stay there. It knows its place. I'd marry a tree for that reason alone.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 3 applause.
DakotaT on 10/17/2011(UTC), Nonstopdrivel on 10/17/2011(UTC), zombieslayer on 10/17/2011(UTC)
Offline Formo  
#182 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 7:30:38 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,555
Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Where do dryads fit into this? Can I marry a dryad?

(not that I'd want to, just asking)


Dryads are hot. Although the splinters would suck on the dangly bits.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#183 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:45:53 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,691
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

this is all i have to say

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Wade on 10/22/2011(UTC), zombieslayer on 11/3/2011(UTC)
Offline Formo  
#184 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:41:48 PM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,555
Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Good stuff Rourke. Even though I mostly hate Penn and Teller, that was spot on. I'll remember that for next time my flaming bleeding heart liberal 'friend' tries his ridiculousness on me again. =)
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline evad04  
#185 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:29:12 PM(UTC)
evad04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Posts: 991
Joined: 8/10/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 56
Applause Received: 67

edit: 10 characters

Edited by user Saturday, December 3, 2011 11:13:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Offline DakotaT  
#186 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:20:12 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,972
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
Good stuff Rourke. Even though I mostly hate Penn and Teller, that was spot on. I'll remember that for next time my flaming bleeding heart liberal 'friend' tries his ridiculousness on me again. =)



Please tell me your not actually going to quote a Vegas comedian as a "source" for enlightenment, Kelso? Uffda.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#187 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:53:39 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,691
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
this is all i have to say

For the record, I didn't write that. That was a Kevin contribution. I posted the graphic because it reminded me of this conversation. I don't even know who the guy is in the picture.Whistle
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#188 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:19:26 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,972
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

Sometimes I want to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid He might just ask me the same question.

When I'm asked about taxing the uberwealthy and redistributing the wealth from the top 5 down to the masses; I say what's taken so fucking long all you dumbasses with the voting power.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#189 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 8:26:23 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

United States
Posts: 25,229
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,744
Applause Received: 1,792

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline DakotaT  
#190 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 8:34:43 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Posts: 6,972
Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 570
Applause Received: 1,191

You missed the part where we stone to death the whores who bring shame to their father's houses.

I wonder how the assets of all the false marriages in the world get split up in modern day courts? It sure was a good thing to have a penis in Old Testament days.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#191 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 8:57:01 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,691
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

It's difficult to imagine that passage being taken more out of context. The whole point of that passage is that the husband doesn't know that the wife is not a virgin -- that is, she has lied to him. Under the legal system of the day, she was committing the most serious sort of fraud, since she was bringing to the marriage the possibility that she was carrying another man's child, which meant that the whole of her husband's property would be inherited by someone else's offspring. It's not like the Bible was unique in this regard. Death was the standard penalty for this kind of fraud in all the Mesopotamian legal systems of the time. (Interestingly, I took a class on this once: many of the oft-derided biblical laws are found almost word-for-word in the Code of Hammurabi and other similar codexes.)

Those signs ignore the verses of the Bible which rule that if a man and woman get caught having premarital sex, the "penalty" is that they must marry and cannot thereafter divorce. Again, this is not some moral proscription. It is designed to ensure that the child is taken care of and property inheritance is ensured. If the girl got pregnant from the fling, there weren't many institutions in place for protecting the child if the man moved on.

I put the word "penalty" in quotes because in Mesopotamian culture of the time, the average age of marriage for women was 14 and the average age of marriage for men was 17. In an era of poor sanitation, no contraception, and no prospects (besides prostitution) for single mothers, if a couple of teenagers were taking the risk of having sex, they were probably planning to marry anyway. The law simply formalized the arrangement.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Formo on 11/2/2011(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#192 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:08:10 AM(UTC)
Wade

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,657
Joined: 8/1/2009(UTC)
Location: nowhere of importance

Applause Given: 563
Applause Received: 589

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage


Sigh. Some days I identify with my fundie-conservative friends more than others.

Even though I disagree with my religious conservative friends on their willingness to quote the Old Testament when they get all moralistic, as in, I imagine, whatever this placard-carrier was responding to, I also want to say something to said placard carrier.

Namely that he's completely missing the real point. Which isn't that homosexuality is against the Law of the Old Testament at all. Which isn't even an Old Testament point.

The real point is that if you're spending your time whining about your rights to put your dangly bit in particular places with particular people, you're ignoring the Great Commandment.

That said fundie conservatives might be mistaking the demands of the Great Commission doesn't change that kind of self-idolatry and self-absorption. At least they are striving to put God at the center of their lives and get others to do the same.

The real point is that the fundie's quotation of the Bible is different in kind from the placard-carrier's quotation. The real point is that the consequences are different if the placard carrier is wrong than if the fundie is wrong. If the fundie is wrong, as I think he is, my gut tells me that God'll be okay with it -- since the fundie is acting from a stance of faith and trust and love for his Lord. But if the placard carrier is wrong, as I think he is, he's also failed in failing to put God first. And the consequences of that, in my opinion, are catastrophic.

The real point is not being able to quote Bible verse for one's position. It's about what you're quoting the Bible for. If you're quoting the Bible because you're trying to follow God's will, you're using it correctly. If you're quoting the Bible to affirm the importance of your choices and your rights, you're not.

Because that's not what its for.


None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Formo on 11/2/2011(UTC), Packers_Finland on 11/2/2011(UTC)
Offline Formo  
#193 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:12:33 AM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,555
Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
It's difficult to imagine that passage being taken more out of context. The whole point of that passage is that the husband doesn't know that the wife is not a virgin -- that is, she has lied to him. Under the legal system of the day, she was committing the most serious sort of fraud, since she was bringing to the marriage the possibility that she was carrying another man's child, which meant that the whole of her husband's property would be inherited by someone else's offspring. It's not like the Bible was unique in this regard. Death was the standard penalty for this kind of fraud in all the Mesopotamian legal systems of the time. (Interestingly, I took a class on this once: many of the oft-derided biblical laws are found almost word-for-word in the Code of Hammurabi and other similar codexes.)

Those signs ignore the verses of the Bible which rule that if a man and woman get caught having premarital sex, the "penalty" is that they must marry and cannot thereafter divorce. Again, this is not some moral proscription. It is designed to ensure that the child is taken care of and property inheritance is ensured. If the girl got pregnant from the fling, there weren't many institutions in place for protecting the child if the man moved on.

I put the word "penalty" in quotes because in Mesopotamian culture of the time, the average age of marriage for women was 14 and the average age of marriage for men was 17. In an era of poor sanitation, no contraception, and no prospects (besides prostitution) for single mothers, if a couple of teenagers were taking the risk of having sex, they were probably planning to marry anyway. The law simply formalized the arrangement.


I didn't know this. Very interesting.

As far as quoting the Bible to make a point, there's a reason I don't do it much and context is the major reason. I've debunked many non-Christians using a passage or two from the Bible to attempt to proof their points to me or to other Christians. Of course, doing as such didn't help my point because the people doing the quoting of the Bible only knew the passages they quoted and were completely ignorant to what I had to say.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Formo  
#194 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:14:45 AM(UTC)
Formo

Rank: All Pro

Posts: 5,555
Joined: 8/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Sigh. Some days I identify with my fundie-conservative friends more than others.

Even though I disagree with my religious conservative friends on their willingness to quote the Old Testament when they get all moralistic, as in, I imagine, whatever this placard-carrier was responding to, I also want to say something to said placard carrier.

Namely that he's completely missing the real point. Which isn't that homosexuality is against the Law of the Old Testament at all. Which isn't even an Old Testament point.

The real point is that if you're spending your time whining about your rights to put your dangly bit in particular places with particular people, you're ignoring the Great Commandment.

That said fundie conservatives might be mistaking the demands of the Great Commission doesn't change that kind of self-idolatry and self-absorption. At least they are striving to put God at the center of their lives and get others to do the same.

The real point is that the fundie's quotation of the Bible is different in kind from the placard-carrier's quotation. The real point is that the consequences are different if the placard carrier is wrong than if the fundie is wrong. If the fundie is wrong, as I think he is, my gut tells me that God'll be okay with it -- since the fundie is acting from a stance of faith and trust and love for his Lord. But if the placard carrier is wrong, as I think he is, he's also failed in failing to put God first. And the consequences of that, in my opinion, are catastrophic.

The real point is not being able to quote Bible verse for one's position. It's about what you're quoting the Bible for. If you're quoting the Bible because you're trying to follow God's will, you're using it correctly. If you're quoting the Bible to affirm the importance of your choices and your rights, you're not.

Because that's not what its for.




HA! Great point, and I actually implied something like what you just said in the instance I lined out in my previous post. Of course, I was the bad guy for saying such things.. =P
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#195 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:37:16 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

Rank: Hall of Famer

United States
Posts: 11,691
Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)
Location: Germany

Applause Given: 365
Applause Received: 263

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Packers_Finland on 11/9/2011(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
14 Pages«<11121314>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.0 | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.309 seconds.