Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline musccy  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:19:32 PM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 172

They didn't affect the outcome of the game and I'm not trying to start a horrible officiating thread here, just some curiosities.

Swain Drop: Everyone seemed to agree this wasn't a catch, but what about it wasn't a catch? I used to think 2 feet and a football move = catch, and my take through my green 'n gold glasses saw him twist 180 degrees, get two feet down and move up field before the ball was jostled loose.

Collins' Celebration: This wasn't explained much, but it looked like flags were thrown just as he got to his knees in the back of the endzone. I don't even know what the letter of the law is, but I can assure you that my TD celebration at my apt. was 100 times more exuberant than his! He just pick 6'd and put the Packers up 14 in the Super Bowl, give him some leeway.
Sponsor
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:24:02 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

The commentators were all saying they thought the Swain drop was a catch, and the more I watched the replays, the more I was inclined to agree with them. I think it should have been ruled a fumble recovered by Jennings.

And can anyone explain to me why the NFL sees a substantive difference between kneeling on one knee versus kneeling on two knees in the end zone? Both can be expressions of prayer or exultation. It makes no sense.
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:25:16 PM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
The commentators were all saying they thought the Swain drop was a catch, and the more I watched the replays, the more I was inclined to agree with them. I think it should have been ruled a fumble recovered by Jennings.

Aikman, Periera (sp?) and Buck all felt it was a drop, as did ESPN after the game.
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:26:50 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

I was watching ESPN America. Different set of commentators.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:28:23 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Don't know which broadcast you watched.. but they were in the camp it wasn't a catch. *edit.. your above response posted during my reply.

I am sorry.. this is one of the areas the NFL needs to scrub this season.. defining a catch and taking out this nonsense of a football move in its definition.

By the rules established today.. it is a judgment what a football move is.

IMO.. two feet down with established possession is a catch.

IMO.. Swain never effectively established possession cleanly.. and they ruled it correctly regardless of the silly and pathetic football move.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline El3ment12  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:29:32 PM(UTC)
El3ment12

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 24

Well It was "bang, bang" or something. The officiating head or whatever said you should judge it real time, not in slow motion. Makes sense I guess.

And the Collins celebration was stupid to call. It gave the steelers good feild position. If we lost I would have been super pissed. Oh, and the facemask that wasn't a facemask!!!!!

It's cool though we won :)
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:31:33 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

On Collins.. he ran all the way across the endzone and was probably move for the delay (and the group) than the act itself.

Commonly players take knees.. but I think it was the circumstances in which Collins did it.

No Fun League is still in effect even on the big stage.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:37:27 PM(UTC)
musccy

the facemask WAS a horrible call...but again, I'm in no way saying that affected the outcome. There were probably a few PIs the Packers could have been called for in the first half, so it all came out in the laundry, I'm bringing this up to question the RULES rather than the refs.
Offline TOPackerFan  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:40:33 PM(UTC)
TOPackerFan

You can't "go to the ground" when celebrating a TD, with the exception being you're allowed to kneel in prayer. Stupid rule, but the right call.

I thought Swain was a catch, but that's probably only because Jennings recovered. If the Steelers had recovered, I'd have been screaming no football move therfore no catch.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
Offline longtimefan  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:40:48 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

Cant use ground in celebration

Recall the huge issue with Jared Allen and his rope tie celebration after a sack?

Was told cant use a knee on the ground

Stupid as hell buts a rule
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:41:02 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

It's gotten to the point where catches are defined with microscopic precision, which ironically actually muddles things up. I think the rule should basically be: If it looks like a catch, it's a catch, goddammit. It's stupid that trivialities like the ball rotating in the receiver's hand or the nose hitting the ground even though the receiver's palms are clearly under the ball can invalidate what's obviously a catch. And the whole "process of catching the ball" nonsense needs to go. Return the game to its intuitive roots instead of its legalistic paralysis.
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:42:07 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

I was going to start an officiating thread, mostly to say that the officials did okay except for the bogus facemask call on Crabtree. But these two plays are worth discussing. I think the announcers let us down by not explaining them better.

With the Collins thing, I think somebody (maybe the official) said something about "going to the ground" as part of the celebration. I didn't know there was a rule against that. It didn't look excessive, but if there's a rule against it, they had to enforce it.

As for the Swain play, it had the look of a non-catch to me because he didn't tuck it in. I think the officials have been pretty consistent on those kinds of plays, so I wasn't mad about it, though on the other hand, it was worth challenging.

I did think that it was a pretty clean game from an officiating standpoint. Most of the penalties were false starts or obvious holds. There were no pass interference controversies, which is more a credit to the DBs than to the officials. And the personal fouls by Williams and the Steeler player were obvious.

As I said before, the Crabtree penalty looked like a blatant screw-up. It was sort of a flukey play and I can see how it may have looked like a facemask in real time, but I still say that you shouldn't call a penalty unless you actually see it--and you can't see something that didn't happen.
blank
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:42:31 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Cant use ground in celebration

Recall the huge issue with Jared Allen and his rope tie celebration after a sack?

Was told cant use a knee on the ground

Stupid as hell buts a rule

Correct emundo. Accurate flag, stupid rule. Kind of a running theme in the NFL. Too many rules, too much gray area.
UserPostedImage
Offline Greg C.  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:44:04 PM(UTC)
Greg C.

Applause Received: 48

I thought Swain was a catch, but that's probably only because Jennings recovered. If the Steelers had recovered, I'd have been screaming no football move therfore no catch.

I just gave you an applaud point for a very rare demonstration of honesty by a fan.
blank
Online mi_keys  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 5:46:23 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 207
Applause Received: 345

On Collins.. he ran all the way across the endzone and was probably move for the delay (and the group) than the act itself.

Commonly players take knees.. but I think it was the circumstances in which Collins did it.

No Fun League is still in effect even on the big stage.

What the rules say aside, how can anyone say Collins' celebration was excessive and Mendenhall's was not? It's a display of elation, it's not offensive or over the top. That should never be a penalty in any game.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Rss Feed