Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
13 Pages<12345>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:25:21 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

The had just gotten their U.S. citizenship on June 15 and you could not find a prouder family than this one on that July 4th night. They had come to the U.S. from Kiev, Russia or near there the best I could make out, just last October and the first thing they did was study for the citizenship test. And they were so thankful to be free and in a country where they could go where they wanted and do things they wanted to do.

As the grand finale went off I said a silent thank you to the guy upstairs, and a big thank you to this family for making my day.

We're not perfect, but I'll take it over any place else to live.

PS.....the kids all spoke English better than most of us. Just a trace of Russian accent.

Doesn't this actually prove the original point of the thread to a tee?

Here is a family that has just taken the citizenship test and is armed with experience of less than the privileges we have.. elated to be watching the fireworks and celebrating our freedoms.

But to your B&M statement.. we are far from perfect as you say, and we could be so much better than we currently are.. why shouldn't we push for us to reach our potential?

If we aren't willing to admit our faults and a nation, accept them and make an effort to realize them, how do we become a better nation?

Isn't that what this country was found upon.. a group of men, critics if you will, that pushed the unfairness of the rule and finally gathered enough steam to revolt against it?
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline MontanaBob  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:06:01 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Applause Received: 56

totally agree with you. When we fail to try to improve.....we fail. Period.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:25:16 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,869
Applause Received: 2,047

totally agree with you. When we fail to try to improve.....we fail. Period.
Exactly! And I feel if we know more about our successes and failures as a nation it will only help us improve. I don't like seeing content and I feel we as a nation are content on where we are. What's that, China has a higher level of education, oh well we try our best. I say BULLSHIT, figure out how to IMPROVE our damn education so we are the best.

I don't like our country saying 'well we gave it the college effort, but came up short' or even having anything close to that mentality. We're America god dammit, we are perceived as the "land of opportunity" lets re-earn that perception and strive to be the best! Build better cars, improve our technology footprint instead of succumbing to importing those items from overseas. Why think 'well they make it better so why try to compete?' Do better, work harder, stop trying to figure a damn way to sue someone and EARN your riches!
UserPostedImage
Offline digsthepack  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:41:54 PM(UTC)
digsthepack

Applause Received: 7

We are becoming a coarser, and more self-serving society as a general rule. To my way of thinking, people, like music, come in two varieties; the decent, and the not decent.

Unfortunately, decency is on the wane, and selfish, "me, me,me" behavior is on th rise. And why wouldn't it? For decades we have put children on pedestals and literally worshipped them as parents, teachers, and society as a whole. Hey, they got the message....loud and clear!

How many households are ruled by the children?

How many marriages suffer because the children come before a healthy and happy relationship between the parents?

How many schools tell every child just how special and precious they are?

Look, in the absence of common-sense parenting that keeps a child's position within the family and society in perspective...which is hard to come by these days and in decades past...children absorb the message...and then act upon that lifelong message as adults.

Thank you baby boomers and the Wodstock generation...your, "if it feels good, do it", message has succeeded in corrupting several generations!

And for what it is worth, I was born in 1963...the last year of the boomers...and could not be more embarrassed by that association.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Offline TwinkieGorilla  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:50:34 PM(UTC)
TwinkieGorilla

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 42

Oh, you mean RB. Random Babble. :)

or whatever hundreds of titles it's had. and by "it" i mean the GD section. ;)

Where's Twinkie?

lol. i think the phrase would be closer to "Thank f*ck."
I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:14:03 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I RESERVE the right to bitch about being treated like a potential terrorist by my own nation, THANK YOU very much.
UserPostedImage
Offline digsthepack  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:52:30 PM(UTC)
digsthepack

Applause Received: 7

And yet, nonstop, the 28 year old Muslim man gets a pass as often as not.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:58:26 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

I don't care what my f*cking skin tone is or what religion I practice. If I'm carrying an American passport -- not to mention a military ID -- I should be treated with respect. If there's a valid reason to suspect malfeasance on my part, then -- and only then -- am I willing to be treated like a potential criminal. Like I said, I wasn't treated so crassly anywhere in Europe.
UserPostedImage
Offline MontanaBob  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:26:03 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Applause Received: 56

I think I spotted Mal Feasance on one of those islands on the Mississippi just west of the Amtrak Depot in LaCrosse.................... Just kidding.

I understand what you're saying and I agree. But, how many European countries have had an attack like 9-11? How many of those countries are hated as much as the United States is by some countries? How surprised do you think those neighbors were when those Russian spies were arrested? Just right friendly folks they said.

Last year when I flew from Spokane to Albuquerque, I set off all the alarms that TSA had in the Spokane airport. Total knee replacement did it. I had a certified card with what I had, but I still had to be pulled aside and wanded and searched, and allow them to empty completely my carry on bag. I was not in the least bit offended, but glad they took the time to really search.

I'm not arguing. Just glad I live here and can enjoy it.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:39:04 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

So let me get this straight: We are supposed to react to an attack that occurred nigh on a decade ago by treating our own citizens with disrespect? I will never accept such a notion. It is impossible to be both fully free and completely safe. The feeling of safety is nothing more than an illusion anyway. I will cheerfully trade a little of that illusion of safety for the right to live as I see fit.

Don't get me wrong. I love America and I am happy to live here. But I love my wife and girlfriends too, and I'm not afraid to call them out when they're full of shit. I'm definitely not afraid to call my country out when she's full of shit too.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:56:30 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Seriously.. taking a couple minutes to go through extra security is that insulting.. really.

Hell with my leg on every commercial flight I have to go through it, card or not, go through the explosive test and the whole 9 yards.. and I have never found it insulting.

It is a hassle, yes.. but how else should a system be setup so that there are precautions in place.

Don't like it.. don't fly commercial..

If they drop the precautions and the next flight gets hijacked.. we will all feel just a little foolish because we are too righteous to go through security.. this is public transportation.. with the ability to cause much more destruction if overtaken.

A extra hour in your travel really isn't that big of deal.. at least in my opinion.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline 4PackGirl  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:42:48 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 151
Applause Received: 123

i concur!!!! there are so many more things i'd like to say but rudeness abounds so i'll just stay out of it from this point forward.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:05:48 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

I apologize if I come off as rude..

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:38:38 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Having to present my passport and other documentation every few steps . . . having my nipples and balls touched at the gate . . . having every single item in my bag removed for the world to see (and left in a pile, of course, for me to replace, after I'd spent hours carefully packing) . . . being interrogated with questions that are no one's business and worse, imply that I must have had nefarious motives for staying a month out of the country . . . Yes, these things are unacceptable. None of them happened to me anywhere else in Europe, except when I was returning to and had landed on the soil of my own country.
UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:45:17 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Quote:
[size=18]No, no, no, no, no[/size]

By Stephen Hough Last updated: July 7th, 2010

I spent yesterday morning queueing at one of the ugliest buildings in London the American Embassy (ironically now owned by Qatari Diar Real Estate).

UserPostedImage

Occupying one side of Grosvenor Square in Mayfair, this squat, Sixties box has no redeeming features that I could discern, and since 9/11 it has become the place rivaling Madame Tussauds for snaking lines of waiting tourists although here the tourists are wanting to leave the UK. You are instructed to allow three hours for the process which involves waiting in four separate lines: one to get in the building, one to get your forms stamped, one to have your interview, and one to pay for the courier service to return your passport. This is only mildly uncomfortable for those who live in London, but for those living outside it requires an overnight stay. No bulky bags permitted well, fair enough. But also no mobile phones or any electronic device (including car keys) are allowed in the building. A few years ago Id forgotten about my Palm PDA (the old model without any wireless capability) and, after waiting to get into the building for an hour and a half, I was turned away at the x-ray screening and sent to a small shop a couple of streets away where they will store such items for a fee. Fortunately I could return again to the front of the queue. But then when I got to the presentation of my forms it turned out that my photo was not correct in some small detail. I had to leave again and go out to a chemist where they would take American-style photos there was no working photo machine in the building. My expression on those images was wild and furious but they were approved.

Some of the questions in the application form are quite extraordinary; and, as necessary as screening-out such people might be, I cant imagine anyone answering yes to any of them (although question 6 is open to all kinds of fascinating interpretations):

Quote:
[li]Are you coming to the United States to engage in prostitution or unlawful commercialized vice or have you been engaged in prostitution or procuring prostitutes within the past 10 years?[/li]
[li]Have you ever been involved in, or do you seek to engage in, money laundering?[/li]
[li]Do you have a mental or physical disorder that poses or is likely to pose a threat to the safety or welfare of yourself or others?[/li]
[li]Do you seek to engage in espionage, sabotage, export control violations, or any other illegal activity while in the United States?[/li]
[li]Do you seek to engage in terrorist activities while in the United States or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities?[/li]
[li]Have you, while serving as a government official, been responsible for or directly carried out, at any time, particularly severe violations of religious freedom?[/li]
[li]Have you committed, ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in extrajudicial killings, political killings, or other acts of violence?[/li]
[li]Have you ever committed, ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in torture?[/li]
[li]Have you ever ordered, incited, committed, assisted, or otherwise participated in genocide?[/li]
[li]Have you ever or do you intend to provide financial assistance or other support to terrorists or terrorist organizations?[/li]

Oh, and a final irony, a notice by the courier desk as I arranged to have my passport returned to me: American Express cards not accepted. Perhaps they only take Visa?

When I learn that self-professedly "freedom-loving Americans" have no problem with measures like these, I find myself very worried for the future of our country.

Citizens of Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and Communist China were all convinced they lived in free countries too.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed