Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
13 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:51:18 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post

ignorant generalizations much? christ.

Please.

The reason people make generalizations is because they're generally true. Heck, I live in SF and agree with RP. Beautiful city. Has some generally nice people but you take your average SF person and your average mid-Westerner and 4 out of 5 times, I'd rather be friends with your average mid-Westerner.

The SF guy might be more sophisticated. He'll also be more of a prick.

While we're at it, white people can't dance. Black people don't know how to cross the street. Asians can't drive. There. I said it.

Will you meet black people who can cross the street, Asians who can drive, and white folk who can dance? Sure. Will you meet a New Yorker who's genuinely friendly? Sure. I've met them. But as much as SF people are egotistical pricks, I'd take one over a New Yorker any day of the week.

I sometimes miss the mid-West. Then I remember the Winters. And the mosquitoes. And actually taking effort to get chicks nekkid. Then I appreciate SF.

Good and bad about everywhere, my friend. And generalizations exist because they're genuinely true.

Here's one more. SF genuinely has better weather than Chicago. Am I ignorant? Or a realist?

EDIT: Forgot to add, Canadians are friendlier than Americans. I'd still rather live in America. I need sunlight.

NSD - If I were running this country, one of the first things I'd do will be to dismantle the TSA and put every single one of them on the unemployment line.

Completely useless organization. It's a waste of tax money but even worse, it's showing Americans that it's acceptable to trade your freedoms for a delusion of security. Plus, they're a bunch of retarded pricks. You think the DMV has retarded employees? They're Mensa members compared to TSA people.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 4:48:44 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,841
Applause Received: 1,994

Edit, and you deleted your post?

Edit2, Twinkie deleted his post therefore I edited it out of mine.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Pack93z  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 4:49:55 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

That is not going to happen in New York. Baltimore. Los Angeles. or even the city of love San Francisco.

ignorant generalizations much? christ. friendly does not necessarily mean engaging you in banal conversations about the local sports teams or the weather. every town, country or city has it's people and every person has their issues. i was born in Appleton and have lived in Milwaukee, Boston, New York and now Chapel Hill. New York was one of the most openly friendly places i've been...something outsiders and tourists just don't get or see though. during a particularly beautiful blizzard two random pedestrians came rushing up to catch me as a i slipped on a hidden ice/slush patch. and then i went on my way. we never spoke a word. this is just one example out of a handful of incredible years in that city. and you may not believe this one...but moving to Boston from Milwaukee actually made Boston seem pretty friendly (it's not exactly the general feeling a n00b in that city feels, trust me). and when i moved down to the south and witnessed that "southern hospitality" what i really saw was that instead of busting balls back and forth with people, they smile and nod and talk shit behind your back. yeah...real hospitable. but when it comes down to it, no place i've lived is any more or less "American" than the other. i loved and hated different things about each one...and they're the kind of things you can only feel or notice about a place if you've truly lived there. much like the rest of the world's generally ignorant/naive idea of what kind of country or people we all are.

p.s. this is *not* a "God Bless America" post by any means.

Kind of humorous that you bang on the generalization with well a milder generalization based on your accounts...

Quote:

and you may not believe this one...but moving to Boston from Milwaukee actually made Boston seem pretty friendly (it's not exactly the general feeling a n00b in that city feels, trust me). and when i moved down to the south and witnessed that "southern hospitality" what i really saw was that instead of busting balls back and forth with people, they smile and nod and talk shit behind your back. yeah...real hospitable

Now.. someone break out a study showing a broad stroked friendly meter for every society ASAP to end this little tit for tat.. lol.

Also I think we need to locate a stick remover... one that can remove sticks wedged in a confined space. ;)
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:28:53 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

From my experience, people in the Midwest may be nicer (read: faker), but people out East are a whole hell of a lot friendlier. I think being truly friendly is far more important than being nice, because sometimes the friendliest thing you can do is not be nice to someone.

Nice is being afraid to point out to a stranger that he's walking down the sidewalk with toilet paper stuck to his shoe, out of fear of momentarily embarrassing him. Friendly is having the balls to point that embarrassing fact out to him and save him further embarrassment. The Midwest is full of the former kind of people, while the East Coast is populated with the latter.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:54:04 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

From my experience, people in the Midwest may be nicer (read: faker), but people out East are a whole hell of a lot friendlier. I think being truly friendly is far more important than being nice, because sometimes the friendliest thing you can do is not be nice to someone.

Nice is being afraid to point out to a stranger that he's walking down the sidewalk with toilet paper stuck to his shoe, out of fear of momentarily embarrassing him. Friendly is having the balls to point that embarrassing fact out to him and save him further embarrassment. The Midwest is full of the former kind of people, while the East Coast is populated with the latter.

I'm going to have to disagree based on my experiences. While in Virginia and Maryland ... I didn't experience any care in the world from others, nor did I witness it occur with anyone else. They were too wrapped up in their own agenda to take a second to help someone else.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:11:12 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

Well from my experiences.. and I have spent time in several different locales all around the states is every populace has a mixed of folks that that full fill all walks of life.

Kind, Nice, Pricks, Snobs and Friendly.. but honestly the environment and your accustomed environment skew the lines a bit.. I spent a couple months in Mississippi at a call center in which I was in a minority, and was warned that I might find it challenging to get comfortable relationship with the folks.

Not only did I get comfortable in a hurry, they were some of the friendliest folks I meet in my 17 month tour of the states for the company.. yet in those three months we had one shooting and a stabbing on the property in the parking lot. Does one or two immature or lawfully corrupt apples make them all bad? Of course not.

With Nons example with the toilet paper.. it is all in the matter in which you bring it to attention.. I would think most from around here would bring it to attention, but discretely without much notice.

If I may throw out a generalization without being twinkiefied... I think the biggest difference between the Midwest and the East coast population is just that.. the easterners would point it out openly and make sure they garnered attention for their deed.. whereas in the Midwest they would be more respectful in bringing it to attention without a scene.

Both can be considered friendly, just handled different, mostly do to environment..

With that said.. I can walk the streets of small town Wisconsin and still run into a pompous prick just the same as NYC. Hell I know a few personally.. just the way they are..

Anyway.. how the hell did a post about the lack of respect toward history in the US become a debate upon the cultural differences within this country?
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline 4PackGirl  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:56:28 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 150
Applause Received: 122

i don't know. the topic was do we as a society lack appreciation for what we have? my answer is - hell yes!! could our country be better? of course. could our country be worse? without a doubt!

i know that if i'm driving down the street & i'm stopped by the police that i have rights. the same can't be said in mexico or many other countries. people have this 'the sky is falling' attitude about this country & while i'm not thrilled by the direction we're going, i'm pretty damn proud to be living here. i can do what i want, when i want, & nobody's stickin a gun in my face telling me i can't or forcing me to work for $1 a day.
UserPostedImage
Offline TwinkieGorilla  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:53:44 PM(UTC)
TwinkieGorilla

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 42

i decided that hanging out and getting into pissing contests in GD is not exactly the best way to spend my time so i deleted my post to just end the exchange, so...yeah. thanks for bringin' it back. also, re your post: what?

Kind of humorous that you bang on the generalization with well a milder generalization based on your accounts...

wait, seriously? i was making a point. anecdotal experience is merely that: anecdotal experience. it means nothing. absolutely nothing.

Quote:

Now.. someone break out a study showing a broad stroked friendly meter for every society ASAP to end this little tit for tat.. lol.

wait, seriously? i was making a point. anecdotal experience is merely that: anecdotal experience. it means nothing. absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Also I think we need to locate a stick remover... one that can remove sticks wedged in a confined space. ;)

i truly am amazed at you guys. i was trying to say "don't try to play the 'this place is friendly/better than that place" angle and i have a stick up my ass because of it? riiiiiight.
I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:23:24 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

i decided that hanging out and getting into pissing contests in GD is not exactly the best way to spend my time so i deleted my post to just end the exchange, so...yeah. thanks for bringin' it back. also, re your post: what?

GD?

I deleted your quote in my post out of respect to you deleting it intentionally.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:25:53 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Anyway.. how the hell did a post about the lack of respect toward history in the US become a debate upon the cultural differences within this country?

I dunno, I still say if we knew more about our history as a whole, we'd appreciate it more and in turn would probably appreciate others more too.

I might be bias because I love history. I don't know how any can't. I love learning about wars, how this became this or that ... etc ... its very fascinating.

UserPostedImage
Offline DGB454  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:32:41 PM(UTC)
DGB454

United States

Applause Given: 15
Applause Received: 7

I dunno, I still say if we knew more about our history as a whole, we'd appreciate it more and in turn would probably appreciate others more too.

I might be bias because I love history. I don't know how any can't. I love learning about wars, how this became this or that ... etc ... its very fascinating.

Completey agree. Knowledge is power. Learning from the past with our eyes on the future. (and a bunch of other cliches)

I like history. As I get older I'm finding that I am beginning to love it.
Offline TwinkieGorilla  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:15:54 PM(UTC)
TwinkieGorilla

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 42

GD?

general discussion.
I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:45:46 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

GD?

general discussion.

Oh, you mean RB. Random Babble. :)

UserPostedImage
Offline MontanaBob  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:56:01 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Applause Received: 52

Ahh.........bitchin' and moanin'. It's the American way. Just think if we all had this discussion in some other countries around the world. Anybody seen RP lately? Where's Twinkie? What happened to Zero2Cool? Gone, never to be heard from again.

We were at a fireworks display in a small town (450 people) just south of us on Sunday evening and a family was sitting next to us in lawn chairs. Kids running around with sparklers. A cooler with drinks and food in it near them. They all (8 of them) had American flags in their hands, waving them when each fireworks went up.
I struck up a conversation with them and realized they weren't from Montana. The father had just gotten a job at a quick lube oil change place and he was so proud of his job. The oldest daughter had been accepted at the University of Montana and the boys were ready for high school to start so they could be on the soccer teams. Grandma and Grandpa had on red, white and blue USA shirts.

The had just gotten their U.S. citizenship on June 15 and you could not find a prouder family than this one on that July 4th night. They had come to the U.S. from Kiev, Russia or near there the best I could make out, just last October and the first thing they did was study for the citizenship test. And they were so thankful to be free and in a country where they could go where they wanted and do things they wanted to do.

As the grand finale went off I said a silent thank you to the guy upstairs, and a big thank you to this family for making my day.

We're not perfect, but I'll take it over any place else to live.

PS.....the kids all spoke English better than most of us. Just a trace of Russian accent.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:06:54 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

lol we're not bitching or moaning.

I'm saying if our youth (myself included - I'm still young!!) had more access to and was fed more information on how country became what it is today ... it'd give us a higher level of appreciation for it and others.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed