all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

The improvement of Kampy over Jones is not that much. We'd be much better off trading someone we need for Kampy and keeping Jones.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I'd like to ask if you were keeping close tabs on Jones when he played. Did you notice they lined up Collins over Jones, as basically a Safety to protect Jones' shortcomings in coverage?

Heck, the Cowboys game.... Roy Williams big reception that Woodson negated by causing a fumble.... Jones blew an assignment and it became Collins' responsibility to chase after Williams.

Again, Kampman led this team in QB hurries and hits. I'm not sure about now, but if he still leads the team then it reveals a heck of a lot about what he meant as a rusher.

Brad Jones exceeded expectations holdingup at the point. To say that he even came close to matching Kampman's consistency in terms of pass rushing is to hugely under-estimate Kampman.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

The improvement of Kampy over Jones is not that much. We'd be much better off trading someone we need for Kampy and keeping Jones.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I'd like to ask if you were keeping close tabs on Jones when he played. Did you notice they lined up Collins over Jones, as basically a Safety to protect Jones' shortcomings in coverage?

Heck, the Cowboys game.... Roy Williams big reception that Woodson negated by causing a fumble.... Jones blew an assignment and it became Collins' responsibility to chase after Williams.

Again, Kampman led this team in QB hurries and hits. I'm not sure about now, but if he still leads the team then it reveals a heck of a lot about what he meant as a rusher.

Brad Jones exceeded expectations holdingup at the point. To say that he even came close to matching Kampman's consistency in terms of pass rushing is to hugely under-estimate Kampman.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

And that's my biggest problem.

He's consistent, but nothing more than that. He'll get you the pressure if the QB takes too long, but he'll never actually hit home. QB pressures are great if they force the QB to get it out fast, but Kampman is never there to reach the QB in a short time. When the OLB closes in after 6 seconds and the QB has to get rid of it then, it's a pressure, as well. I think he's going on his high motor more than anything else right now.

Much like Cullen Jenkins has been doing from the 3-4 DE position this season, really. He's often been there when Kampman got there.

I think that we should trade Kampman or maybe get one more year out of him while grooming a second day rookie (round 2-3). Wouldn't mind a first rounder, either. We need a real DE/OLB opposite of Matthews. A guy who's a relentless rusher and preferably a little faster and more athletic than Kampman.
porky88
14 years ago

I would strongly consider replacing Kampman. He simply doesn't fit the system and he didn't really buy into it all that much either. His best rushes this year still came from being a DE in the nickel package.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I don't understand how you can say his best rushes were as a DE. I'm more miffed about you saying he didn't buy into the system. Kampy stated that he slimmed down to around 265 to be LB, and even stated that he has been as heavy as 290 just so he could play DE in college (on D. Colledge's show @ Packers.com).... Kevin Green has said that after getting hired Aaron was the first person to talk to him and asked questions wanting to know what the 3-4 was like.

Before he got injured, he was our team leader in hurries and QB hits. He spent the vast majority of the time as a 3-4 LB. Bedard mentioned on a couple of occasions the week Kampy got injured that he had double the QB hurries of the next player on the Packers.

Kampman's sacks were down - yes. But the fact is that he was still producing a rush - until Mathews came on really strong at the end, Kampy was the main rusher.

Again, he never once said he didn't want to go out and cover TEs or drop into zone coverage. Kampman is a beast pass-rusher, and it's fair to say he had to make adjustments as a 3-4 LB... but to say he isn't suited is simply wrong.

After the bye week, Kampman was rushing with a hand down a handful of times a game... exactly the same as he had been before the bye week.

Kampman provides the pass rushing tenacity you need at OLB in Capers 3-4. I find it really hard to think of a reason why the Packers would want to get rid of him.

"porky88" wrote:

What defense do you want to run?

Vanilla or Dynamic?

The defense was far more dynamic without Kampman. That is not a coincidence. Kampman was a liability in coverage and all it takes is 25% of the time dropping back, and teams will exploit that. The Packers were far better off defending the flats without Kampman. Again, not a coincednece. You develop a tendency like the Packers did with Kampman and it's was easier to make a decision at the line of scrimmage. Teams looked for Charles Woodson at the line of scrimmage and then Kampman. If Kampman was dropping in coverage, that's who they went after.

I don't think Kampman was sold on moving to OLB. I don't think he was a problem inside the lockerroom, but he wasn't the same player. He wasn't openly happy about the move. He was careful with his words and I think if you play connect the dots, it's clear that he was frustrated. They didn't move him to DE in the nickel right away. They didn't do that until after their bye week actually.

They don't need him to play DE. They have four guys that are capable of doing that. I'm not sure what bulking up to 290 and playing DE does. Probably, not a lot.

If you can replace him, you do it. He's not irreplaceable in this defense and he was in the 4-3. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's heavily "handicapped" in this scheme.
Cheesey
14 years ago
We need D-backs, and to fix the O-line.
Do that, and we should be strong next year.
Damn.....i HATE having to say "next year" already.
UserPostedImage
musccy
14 years ago
Silver lining: Last we see of Jarret Bush!!!
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"musccy" wrote:

With a bit of luck, we can now use him like we wanted to all along. As our special teams ace. With him and Martin as full time gunners, we should be able to shut down PRs a little more.

Getting 3 corners on IR is not something you expect. It bumped Bush all the way from our nr. 6 corner to the nr. 3 corner. I think he did a decent job.
blueleopard
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

With a bit of luck, we can now use him like we wanted to all along. As our special teams ace. With him and Martin as full time gunners, we should be able to shut down PRs a little more.

Getting 3 corners on IR is not something you expect. It bumped Bush all the way from our nr. 6 corner to the nr. 3 corner. I think he did a decent job.

"musccy" wrote:

I don't know...

Woodson, Harris, Williams, Blackmon, Lee, Underwood... it's gonna be crowded next year.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
musccy
14 years ago
you're right, rockmolder, that a team never really relies on (nor should they expect to) on their #7-8 cb on the roster.

On the other hand, even as a STer, you need to be expected to perform when called on in other tasks (e.g. Havner) and Bush/Bell have proven to be a liability this year...which I'm hoping Lee, Blackmon, or any other 3rd-7th rounder we may pick up this year would not be as much of.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

What defense do you want to run?

Vanilla or Dynamic?

"porky88" wrote:

You're assuming with Jones in, we went to a more "dynamic" version of Capers 3-4. That is clearly not the case. Yes, against Dallas we probably had our coming out party, but even Capers himself has said that we succeeded so much in that game because the Cowboys became one dimensional - they abandoned the run.

Similarly, in the latter half of the season with our offense getting leads, teams tended to get more one dimensional. Once again, cue the fact that Capers as DC knew odds were that a pass would be called, and hence he could blitz ala Blitzburg style.

To equate Brad Jones with a more dynamic defense being played is to infer causation from correlation; you can't do that. Just look at the psycho package debuted after Kmp's injury, where Jones is not one of the 5 LBs on the field. Just the mere fact that this team displayed a diverse set of plays when Jones was in does not mean the latter caused the former. When our D started to strengthen in run D, our offense started to put points up, it became easier to dictate to the opposing team on D given that the opposing team could only do certain things to score points (namely, drop back and pass).

The defense was far more dynamic without Kampman. That is not a coincidence. Kampman was a liability in coverage and all it takes is 25% of the time dropping back, and teams will exploit that. The Packers were far better off defending the flats without Kampman. Again, not a coincednece. You develop a tendency like the Packers did with Kampman and it's was easier to make a decision at the line of scrimmage. Teams looked for Charles Woodson at the line of scrimmage and then Kampman. If Kampman was dropping in coverage, that's who they went after.

Did the scenario you outline ever come to fruition? I don't recall a game this year where Kampy had to drop back in 25% of the snaps he took. Usually if Woodson came on a blitz, the nickel LB or S would pick up his player. Yes there were times when Kampman went out into coverage, but it was zone where we had to cover a certain area, not play cover-man.

I won't disagree that Kampman was probably not thrilled about his move, especially in light of this being his contract year. Despite that, there are signs that he was working at the move.

Given that the Packers will almost certainly tag Kampman, and he is coming off an injury that will cause some teams to hesitate paying him top dollar.... I don't think at all Kampman's time is done with this team.

Nor should it be, because I stand by my belief that he brings the pass-rush tenacity you need from the 3-4 OLB position. Yes, he may not be the most athletic player in the world, but he still can drop his shoulders (as he did as a DE, too) to gain leverage and provide a pass rush. Is he as explosive at Clay? No, but I don't think he needs to be, to be adequate at getting pressure.

Kampman as a 3-4 OLB is still playing at the line of scrimmage. He is standing up, instead of putting his hand down. It's not like he is being asked to roam, like a conventional LB. I think he can find success in this scheme. He sure may not be happy about playing as a 3-4 OLB, and may well prefer to be a DE... but given the current circumstances his options are limited.

Add to that, the Packers can apply the Franchise tag on him... well I don't see him going anywhere. If that turns out to be the case, I'm fine with him as a 3-4 OLB.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
porky88
14 years ago
I'm not saying Brad Jones is what made the defense more dynamic. I think he needs to be replaced too. He's just "a guy" in my view. I'm saying having Kampman playing out of position and learning a position he was not comfortable playing made things a lot more difficult in how Capers called a game. I don't care what Capers says to the public. Coaches lie. The defense clearly, and the players have said this, was much more aggressive late in the season. That, in part, is attributed to Kampman being out for most of the second half of the season. It's not 100% like that, but it's apart of the equation. Outside of the first half against San Francisco, Kampman missed every snap in the second half of the season.

25% is just to a number as an example. He drops back into coverage in this scheme. I think the numbers is actually around 20%. The point I'm making is that's all it takes. Teams will gameplan for the looks Capers gives them and when they see that look, that's when the QB will read or audible to a play that attacks Kampman. Josh Freeman actually went after Kampman in the flats a couple of times. If Tampa knew it, you bet everyone else did too, including the Packers. That's why the Pack disguised things the best they could. They didn't pressure as much because they had to try and put Kampman in the best possible position to succeed. Without him, the Packers had a lot more flexibility.

Kampman is a great player and he will thrive if he goes to a team that plays a 4-3, but in this system, his skill set makes him a much more limited player. It's just not a great fit. What they do with him I think is up in the air. I could see a franchise and trade in April or I could see him being a free agent until June. It depends on his health. IF Green Bay can't get a deal done with Ryan Pickett, I think they'll use the franchise tag on him before Kampman. This time last year, that never would've happen. I think that is a nice example of how to illustrate Kampman's value to this team. It's just not what it once was. That's not on Kampman, that's on the system. That's just the way things fell.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.