Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Steady starter

Rodgers has shown consistency in two seasons

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Dec. 30, 2009

Green Bay Apparently the way to successfully transition from one franchise quarterback to another in the National Football League is to look for polar opposites as far as on-field style.

It worked for the San Francisco 49ers in the 1990s, when the cool pocket presence of Joe Montana was replaced by the whirling dervish mobility of Steve Young.

Both are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Green Bay Packers seem to be following the same script because Brett Favre - football's version of a roller-coaster with jump-out-of-your-seat highs and head-shaking lows - has been replaced by a player who might as well have consistency stamped on his forehead.

Because if there's one thing that can definitely be said about the 31-game start to the career of Aaron Rodgers, which reached an apex with his selection Tuesday to the Pro Bowl, it's been remarkable in its invariability.

In comparing Rodgers with some of the best quarterbacks in the game - Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Donovan McNabb, Favre and Philip Rivers - over their last 31 starts, no quarterback has had more games with a passer rating between 70.1 and 120. Rodgers has 24 and McNabb 23.

The rest have had at least as many big games over 120, but only Rivers (two) can say he's been better than Rodgers (three) at avoiding the flop game (below a 70 rating) that every quarterback seems to have once in a while.

Aversion to turnovers

And nobody has had more games with no interceptions than Rodgers (18). McNabb and Rodgers both have 24 games with less than two picks.

"I think it's very impressive to not throw interceptions and not to turn the ball over," Packers receiver Donald Driver said Wednesday. "I mean, that's amazing.

"And that's one thing we as an offense have said we don't want to have. And he has the ball in his hands. He controls all of it. And he has kept his composure and went out there and made sure he made the right reads and threw the ball to the right people. I think he's just very consistent with what he wants to do and what he has done."

It would be easy to say Rodgers has become this even-keeled quarterback as a result of being in the stringent development system employed by coach Mike McCarthy and quarterbacks coach Tom Clements for two years before moving into the starting role last season. Certainly that hasn't hurt.

"You have to give Tom a heck of a lot of credit," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. "Tom spends a phenomenal amount of time with the guy in the off-season.

"And you watch those guys during practice, during special teams they're working. They're working on footwork, working on different throws, hot throws and getting the ball out of their hand quick. So I think it's a reflection of the work ethic of those guys. They take it very seriously."

But like Favre with his rifle right arm, quick mind and flair for the dramatic, some players are just born with special tools. Rodgers' paramount gift seems to be his aversion to turnovers, the biggest factor in staying consistent.

In his two seasons at the University of California, Rodgers threw 43 touchdown passes against 13 interceptions. In his one season at Butte College, he had 28 touchdown passes and four interceptions.

That's 71 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. So far in his pro career, Rodgers' ratio is 57 to 20.

"It's just not my personality (to throw the ball up for grabs)," Rodgers said. "I've always tried to take care of the ball as best I could.

"It starts in the off-season, being here 95% of the time and putting in the time in the film room, studying the previous year's plays, studying our own offense, being able to work with a guy like Tom Clements, who is a perfectionist and is always giving you things you can work on. I think that's been great for my development.

"But the way I prepare each week I think allows me to have a supreme confidence going into the game on Sunday that I expect to play well."

It should be almost unfair to Rodgers to compare him with the best quarterbacks currently in the game. Those players, save Favre, are in the prime of their careers and have gotten to that level by playing a lot of snaps in the NFL.

Certainly Rodgers benefited from developing in anonymity for three years, but he still turned just 26 earlier this month. Rivers is 28. Brees will be 31 on Jan. 15. The rest are over 32.

"I'm very impressed," said cornerback Charles Woodson, who has played with and against many quarterbacks in his 12 seasons. "I think the numbers speak for themselves. He comes to work every day, prepares every day like a winning quarterback and then on Sundays it shows up. Again, he just keeps getting up off the ground and making plays for this team. And there's not enough that can be said about what he's done this year."

It's certainly been a strange transition, going from the rock and roll of Favre to the mellow overtures of Rodgers. But like San Francisco before it, different doesn't seem to be a negative for Green Bay.

"Aaron Rodgers is a Pro Bowl quarterback, and that's the facts," McCarthy said. "Trust me, I fully understand the greatness of Brett Favre, and I had the opportunity to be part of his career, and he deserves everything that comes his way.

"But this is the beginning of potentially another great career at quarterback here in Green Bay, and (fans) should embrace it."

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.