Greg C.
14 years ago
Normally I am bored by this subject, but this is an exceptionally good article by Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. He actually takes the time to analyze the situation rather than being alarmist. The gist of it is that if there is no salary cap in the NFL, it does not necessarily mean that the Packers are sunk.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091211/PKR07/91211185/1058/PKR01/Pete-Dougherty-column--No-salary-cap--no-big-deal-for-now 
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
I don't get why fans are panicking. Like the article said, we're still in the middle when it comes to revenue.

The other things fans don't understand are simple business accounting rules. The NFL still is a business. It still needs to be profitable. You're not going to see 5th round draft picks making $10 million their first year or else even the biggest revenue teams will go bankrupt.

Brandt explains something real important here:

Baseball you hit, you pitch you catch, and its a seamless transition from one team to another, said Andrew Brandt, the former Packers vice president who now writes a blog about the business side of football for NationalFootballPost.com. Football is all about schemes, all about fitting in, about rolling into a West Coast offense, a 4-3 defense, a 3-4 defense, a Cover 2 defense. That makes free agency a little spotty compared to baseball. Theres certainly not a direct correlation between spending and winning. Its proven out every year in football.

He's right. You can't buy a championship like you can in baseball. Football is like chess. Baseball isn't. I could manage a MLB team and it won't lose that many more games. If I coached the '09 Packers, we'd be 2-14. HUGE difference.

Plus, a player on might excel in one scheme and suck in the next. Like look at Kampy for instance. One of the best DEs in the whole freaking game and when we made the switch, he's having problems covering as an OLB. Or an even better example - Wes Welker. Belichick knows how to use him. Had he been on a lot of other teams, he'd be a nobody. This has nothing to do about money and everything to do about players fitting your scheme.

So panic about our Special Teams. But don't panic about an uncapped season. The Redskins keep trying to buy a championship and look where that's getting them.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Zombie, that's a damn fine post, and I'm going to give you a +1 for that.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
What you say is true Zombie, and I feel the same way. What you don't address is the implications of what happens if the losers like Snider decide they are going to try and win by breaking the bank. So, they start buying up all the free agents, which include the like of Collins and Pickett. They still probably won't win, but you can't deny the negative impact that would have on our team.

I don't think this is a crisis, by any means, but it's not good. However, I still think they'll get a new CBA in place by next season.
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
14 years ago
Zombie, that point you made about baseball is exactly why football is a much better sport. People have to fit in and its a lot more complicated and interesting. Kind of off topic, but I though I would mention it πŸ™‚. I am really confused when it comes to a un-capped year or w/e. Isn't that what they do in baseball? Why in the hell would the NFL want this? A salary cap makes it balanced. The teams that suck, suck because they could not manage their team right. Teams like the lions don't really have an excuse, therefore we can make fun of them with no guilt.
Grabacr
14 years ago
it makes me think of the UK Soccer Premier League along with the rest of european soccer aswell as how having no cap is a bad thing! With the big 4 uk teams (Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea) in a mini league of thier own and the rest of the league is a relegation battle. It just makes me think that a cap would be a good idea. Along with "world class" players on $300k a week and players being sold for around $20million up to $150million for Ronaldo makes me cringe at the amounts of money in the game

As for Greenbay, yes the finances would take a hit, but GB have the luxary of packed out stadium 8 weeks of the year (which makes me think...no cap = more games? to draw in more fans)
Player wages would go up i feel for superstars but would there be more talent to go after this money? Or visa versa....more money for old rope and everything just gets inflated.

Its a complicated subject. but my opinion. Cap should stay!
UserPostedImage
DanJustDan29
14 years ago
How do you know you'd be 2-14 Zombie?
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Because as much as I make fun of MM, he knows football way better than I do. I think my playcalling would be better, but there's no way I can devote 60 hours a week to coaching a team. It takes a much different mindset than I have and thus, we'd lose a heck of a lot more games.

And yes, football is a superior sport to baseball. Football is the ONLY sport where you take an IQ test. You can be a near retard and play any position in baseball other than Catcher.

As for buying a championship, it's still a business. Let Snyder go bankrupt. His family will hate him and he still won't have a championship. Long term - he'll be shooting himself in both feet. Plus, every other owner would want to strangle him.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I think it's time to update your sig, Zombie.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (20h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (20h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (20h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (21h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : β€œWe’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#Γ—k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright Β© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comβ„’. All Rights Reserved.