Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

[img_r]http://wauk-am.tritondigitalmedia.com/includes/news_items/40/2176/rodgersruns.jpg[/img_r]GREEN BAY Raheem Morris thought hed been duped.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers first-year head coach had read that weeks injury report. He couldve sworn hed seen Aaron Rodgers name in bold letters on the Green Bay Packers list. In fact, he knew he had.

QB Aaron Rodgers (feet) probable

But with 10 minutes left in the first half the teams Nov. 8 game, with the Packers facing a third-and-6 from the Tampa Bay 41-yard line, Morris found himself wondering. With his defense playing two-man meaning the safeties were deep and the Bucs were playing man coverage underneath the pocket collapsed around Rodgers, who took off to the left sore feet and all and scrambled for a 7-yard gain, running out of bounds on the Buccaneers sideline after getting the first down. Four plays later, Rodgers would hit Donald Driver for a 32-yard touchdown.

He kind of followed me on the field and was yelling at me, 'Aaron, Aaron, Aaron.' I was wondering who was yelling my name, I turn around, it was Coach Morris, Rodgers recalled this week. He goes, 'I thought your feet hurt. I said, 'They do.' We kind of had a good laugh there."

Opponents certainly arent laughing about Rodgers ability to make plays with his feet these days.

While no one is confusing him with Randall Cunningham or Michael Vick, Rodgers does enter Sundays game against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field as the NFLs top rushing quarterback, having carried the ball 49 times for 277 yards and three touchdowns one of which Rodgers had against Morris Buccaneers later in that game. He had a season-long 35-yard run against Minnesota on Nov. 1 to set up a touchdown pass to Greg Jennings and got loose for a 23-yarder on a second-and-17 play to set up a TD throw to Driver during Monday nights victory over Baltimore.

And yet, Rodgers ability to make plays with his feet isnt really based on the yardage he might gain on the occasional run. Whats more important is his ability to sense pressure and move out of the pocket, and then make a throw downfield. Thats why Rodgers said running the ball isnt what he prides himself on

Not a whole lot. I like to extend plays, said Rodgers, who showed the ability to run in college at California, where he 160 rushed for 336 yards and eight touchdowns. (Those numbers are misleading because in college football, sacks count against the quarterbacks rushing numbers.) We talk about setting goals of around 10 (rushing) yards per game or so in the quarterback room, (how) you need to make one first down, really. But it is nice to know that I have been able make positive rushing yards and have a couple of explosive runs, over 12-yard runs. Those are fun for me.

And theyre no fun for defenses. Most of Rodgers successful runs have come against two-man defenses because, as quarterbacks coach Tom Clements explained, We always tell him, if you have a team thats going to play you (with) two high (safeties) and man coverage underneath, the guy they dont cover is the quarterback. If theres a big opening, theres no one on you, so get what you can get.

Still, Clements said, the more dangerous play is when Rodgers escapes the pocket, buys himself some time to get the ball to one of his receivers.

Its either extending the play moving around and throwing it downfield or its taking off and running and getting yardage. And in either case, it can turn a play which may not be a good play into a positive or very big play, Clements explained. I think initially when he starts to scramble he looks to throw it, which is what we want him to do.

Contributing to Rodgers success with his feet has been his improved internal time clock of late. While he remains the NFLs most-sacked quarterback (45 sacks), hes absorbed only eight over the past four games after taking 37 in the first eight games, at times because he held onto the ball too long and has continually made throws on the run.

When you train the quarterback to have in-pocket awareness and out-of-pocket awareness, there's the gray area. When do you stay in, when do you come out? Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. I just think he's doing a much better job feeling it. He's in a groove.

Rodgers improved sense of timing has coincided with better protection from the line, which has stabilized since veteran Mark Tauscher took over his old right tackle spot.

The pass protection consistency definitely helps you, because when things aren't going well and you are getting hit, you think you might have to come out more often than you need to and things like that, McCarthy said. But I think he's trusting his feet, he's trusting the pocket, and he's being smart.

Rodgers has also done a better job of throwing the ball away when nothing is open instead of holding the ball and taking a sack and has been utilizing his check-down throws better of late. Still, being in sync with the line appears to be the biggest difference for him.

Having those guys being able to play together now for a couple weeks now in a row, I feel like we're on the same page, time-clock wise, Rodgers said. And it is nice having Tausch over there.

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin acknowledged that it seems strange to be praising a quarterback whos been sacked 45 times for his pocket awareness but said the praise is well-deserved and that Rodgers ability to think on his feet and make plays on them will be valuable in the final four games.

Its big. Invariably, there are going to be plays where the thing breaks down. Even if youre doing a great job pass protecting, theres going to be plays where they have a twist or a blitz on and somebodys free, Philbin said. If you have a quarterback with a good feel of the pocket when to escape, when not to and hes got the quickness and the athleticism and the accuracy to throw the ball on the move, its a big weapon. We dont design plays where we say, Hey, lets sit in here for 2.8 seconds and then take off, but we all know that some of those plays turn out to be pretty positive plays.

The guy has very good awareness in the pocket, hes got a good sense of when to move, when not to move.

UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Rodgers has gotten a tad too much crap for holding the ball too long this year I think. Sometimes he will get sacked after 4 or 5 seconds but that's after the pocket was blown in less than 2 and he tried to scramble away.

The sack thing wouldn't have really been an issue at all this year if Tauscher was never hurt. That said I think overall it has been good for his development as a QB. He is having to adjust his game to compensate for the bad blocking and it's taking his game to a new level. He will be better off if for instance we have to start a rookie or young player next season at LT. Then hopefully eventually he will have a line that can stick together for a few years in a row and win some superbowls.
blank
gbpfan
14 years ago
i think rodgers is finding ways to compensate and mark back helps a lot,but what will that do for barber?
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Would be awesome for him to finish '09 as #1.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Brettizzle
14 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I agree, if Vince Young played all year long I think he would have been #1.
Jermichael Finley

We will be in Indianapolis

Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Brettizzle" wrote:

I agree, if Vince Young played all year long I think he would have been #1.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I think so, as well.

But that's only because Rodgers is better than Vince. And a little more athletic, of course, but let me explain.

The article already stated it, but Rodgers keeps his eyes down the field. How often have you seen him rolling out to this right, only to keep his eyes downfield, hitting a receiver for 10+ yards down the sideline.

In that same scenario, he could've run for 5 yards, as well.

His rushing numbers could've been far more inflated than they have, but he just doesn't run first. He's pretty much playing like McNabb did halfway his career. He totally skipped the run first part.
Stevetarded
14 years ago

i think rodgers is finding ways to compensate and mark back helps a lot,but what will that do for barber?

"gbpfan" wrote:

I don't really care much about Barbre he had more than enough opportunity to secure his job and failed pretty miserably.
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
[youtube]IxuThNgl3YA[/youtube]
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.