Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 2:55:51 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,834
Applause Received: 1,991

I'm going to be getting a little cash from my second job and I'm going to use it on a Digital Camera. I went to several stores checking some out today.

Which would be the best one to get for around a hundred bucks?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline longtimefan  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:02:20 AM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

I got this a while ago

http://www.nikonusa.com/...a/26171/COOLPIX-P90.html

but not 100

But if you can get a nikon for about 100 Id go for that brand
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:04:15 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Click HERE to see what I was thinking.

I was hoping for something to take pictures at the game monday, more specifically I want to have a decent camera for my daughters concerts. So I need to be able to zoom in about a 75-100 feet or so.

UserPostedImage
Online dfosterf  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:27:40 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 366

I just got a Olympus FE 4000 from NewEgg 12 megapixel 4x optical zoom Lithium rechargeable battery,

I also got a Kingston 4 GB mini-SDHC card and an olympus case

The camera is regularly 149.99 from newegg It sells for as much as 200.00
in the box stores. They had it as one of their black friday deals (I made this purchase on Thanksgiving day) I got the camera for 99.99 free shipping.

The memory works perfectly in this camera. This can be a source of concern, because some Olympus cameras only like their proprietary card.
The camera comes with the adapter to accept the mini-SDHC card.

The card also comes with USB reader. The regular price for the card was 26.00 from Kingston. NewEgg sold it for 8.99

The case is an Olympus case, and comes with little pockets for things like memory, etc. It sells for 12.95 from Olympus. New Egg sold it for free.

I also went online and found out that if you go to Newegg through Bing, you will receive a 10% cashback. I did this after I had already put mu stuff in my "cart" at newgg, thought they had forgotten about it/whatever, but at checkout, Newegg told me to check my e-mail from Bing. Sure enough, I had to fill out a little "paperwork" with Bing, but got 11.00 credited to me. I don't get that $$ for 60 days, but you can have it instantly credited to you through your paypal account.

That picture I took of my dog in the member photo thread is from that camera. The software is awesome and incredibly easy to use. That picture was reduced to fit here..other than that, it is un-retouched, and it was taken with flash in the semi-dark. It was the 3rd pic I had taken with that camera.

"Out the door" at 97.00 dollars, with 4 GB of memory (1125 pictures at 12 megapixel res) on a 12megepixel 4x optical zoom camera that is rechargeable (vs. many with this many megapixel but use regular batteries -- "watch out" for that) and an Olympus case.

I say impossible to beat. I busted my ass trying to, which is how I got to where I got. You HAVE to watch and make sure all of your various items are "free shipping" or New egg will try and hose you. I had originally put Olympus memory in the cart, and they tacked 5.95 shipping on the order.

You will laugh when you see a miniSD card and realize that they were adding shipping based on that. It has to weigh less than a fingernail clipping.

I am thrilled with my (?wife's? lol) camera. It is awesome. It don't look like a fancy schmancy SLR but digital (It looks like all the other point and shoot) but it ACTS like it. I see where 10x optical would be better, but this camera also has additional digital telephoto/zoom, for whatever that is worth. I say the zoom is plenty for games. I wish you had asked this question in time for this game. You will be hard-pressed to find that memory for under 26.00, for example...whatever camera you buy... and you need it.

:thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:27:52 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

List of Nikon Cameras

I thought one with a good high optical zoom would be good, but then I seen one that has a 12x OZ, and the 10x took a more clear picture. I'm thinking it had something to do with the focus.

UserPostedImage
Online dfosterf  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:49:49 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

You can reduce the megapixels.

I started with those Nikon coolpix cameras. I ended up where I ended up.

Sears had the camera I got in their stores for 99.99 also They regularly sell it for 199.99

WATCH the battery issue! You want a rechargeable camera.

I would check if Sears is still running that deal

If you go Nikon

Target coolpix s203 was 89.95 regularly 139.99
10mp 3x optical rechargeable best deal in Nikon in box stores---
Again, I did the research trade-offs have to do with battery

That one is also rechargeable (Oh has 44mb internal mem which is high, but meaningless -- you need a mem card with all of them

In answer to one of the questions--- My wife and I enjoy photographic art. My home has a lot of Ansel Adams, for example. There are stores online (now) that specialize in oversize printing. With a high megapixel camera (12 is where most say the MP "war" is stopping" You can get a poster size print (they even do canvas--I found a place that will do a poster size canvas for 46.00 dollars) that is in the same visual resolution as a regualy sized photograph--- Think about that for a second...

You can have a Lambeau shot on canvas, poster - sized...If you have enough megapixels, that is--Otherwise it would be "grainy". As an example.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline doddpower  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:50:30 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,765
Applause Received: 417

I would recommend Canon all the way. Incredibly well made cameras, although, not so light on the wallet. If you indeed are looking for something cheaper and easier on the wallet, a Nikon or Kodak are probably the way to go.

What makes a good digital camera good? One could write pages and pages about that. It all depends on what you're looking for. The camera I posted the pictures from the Dallas game is a great camera, but doesn't have but like a 5x zoom, making it less preferable for you. It's also not all about megapixels, but they certainly don't hurt. An SLR would be ideal, because you can change the lens to fit your needs as opposed to trying to make one generic lens do it all.

Blaaah, who knows. But yeah, I would definitely recommend looking at New Egg for any technology stuff. Generally always cheaper, and, well, it's not Wal-Mart. Ewwww.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:09:16 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

My primary use will be to take pictures of my daughters and short recordings while they open presents and things like that. Also when they have concerts, it'd be nice to take pictures where you can see the faces with me knowing which one is mine, lol.

UserPostedImage
Online dfosterf  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:17:59 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
My primary use will be to take pictures of my daughters and short recordings while they open presents and things like that. Also when they have concerts, it'd be nice to take pictures where you can see the faces with me knowing which one is mine, lol.

Like I said, I just finished doing this whole thing you are going through, so chances are pretty good I did the research on whatever camera you are about to buy, or it's equivalent. Amazing how they "customize" cameras for the different retailers, with slight differences...forcing you to compare an apple and an orange.

The bad news is that you are under a time constraint, so online is probably off the table for you. The good news, if you are buying in a box store, is that I was originally tasked with researching box store options for my wife, so know about most of those also. The bad news (again, lol lol lol) is that Wal Mart was OFF THE TABLE lol lol lol and that is probably where you are planning on going, so I will probably be of little use when you go to buy your low bidded chinese piece of fucking shit that they made them make components out of bubble gum instead of the recommended titanium in order to reduce the product cost by one more fine red chinese pubic hair lol lol lol editorial in there somewhere.

WHATEVER you do, I would remember this:

8 megapixel or better--- great pics--amazing how far they have come.

Optical zoom matters 1000 times more than digital zoom digital zoom is relatively worthless, as pic quality degrades badly when used

ALL of the known brands are good. Go with price, imo

You will REGRET it if you decide to trade off the rechargeable battery for AA or AAA batteries--these cameras suck battery power...especially with zoom and flash

You have to remember that internal memory is worthless, except as emergency for when your flash card is full. You have to budget for a flash card. The difference between (most) of these cameras at 20mb of internal memory and (some) with as much as 44mb is meaningless. How meaningless? 20mb= 5 pics 44mb=10 pics = meaningless (remember my 1125 pics with card comment?--That's at 12megapixel res, too!)

I say you should have a case to protect your camera.
UserPostedImage

Offline IronMan  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:27:40 AM(UTC)
IronMan

ESPN NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2010

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 53

it's not Wal-Mart. Ewwww.

I bought this camera at Wal Mart.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

[EDITED - Sorry, one of the pictures was breaking the tables. Zero2Cool]
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:27:50 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I went to Kmart, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, and Shopko looking at cameras a few hours ago.

I'm on Sears website and it looks like they have a nice selection. The battery thing you mentioned was a concern of mine. I'd prefer one that accepted regular batteries, even though it will go through them fast, I can deal with that. I have lots of batteries so I can just pop in a new set.

Going through it a bit more. I need something that fits the following.
  • Taking pictures indoors of the girls.
    Taking pictures of the girls in their concerts, limited lighting. (no one really gets good pictures there)
    Record short videos of the girls doing silly things, or opening presents.
    AA or AAA battery operated.
    Use of SD card of some thing. Either normal SD or Micro SD.
    And around 100 bucks. I can probably push 150 if its really good.

Edit, I really like the pictures IronMan took, but 229.00 is more than I can push out of my bunhole for a camera.

Edited by user Friday, January 3, 2014 9:09:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Online dfosterf  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:33:36 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

You are making a mistake on the battery thing.

A big one, imo.
UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:39:32 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

You are making a mistake on the battery thing.

A big one, imo.

I'm not trying to be rude, but telling me it's a mistake doesn't help me avoid making said mistake. Can you explain why its a mistake and what is the best route to take?

UserPostedImage
Online dfosterf  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:47:48 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

As I already said while you guys had a picture / k mart battle while I was posting, these digital cameras go through conventional batteries at an alarming rate.

I wrote the generalized advise while those pics and comments went up. Scroll back. That isn't just me talking, I went to the various photography sites and researched all of these cameras and features.

This is my second digital camera. I have several SLR's my first being an Olypmpus OM-1 which still takes some of the best photos imaginable. This new purchase being an Olypus is a coincidence. I also have a Nikon and a Canon SLR.

My (existing until this new one came) digital camera takes AA batteries. I had gotten so weary of changing out the batteries that when I was indoors I would use the AC power and an extension cord. But you go ahead...lol I'm not being rude either, but I hope you have a lot of those batteries..You will need them. The rechargeable battery lasts a long time, btw. and recharges in two hrs. To each their own. You will be able to get "more camera" if you opt to go the conventional battery route--if you do the research. If not, you got hosed. It is one of those "trade-offs" that you should expect.
UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:55:07 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

As I already said while you guys had a picture / k mart battle while I was posting, these digital cameras go through conventional batteries at an alarming rate.

I wrote the generalized advise while those pics and comments went up. Scroll back. That isn't just me talking, I went to the various photography sites and researched all of these cameras and features.

This is my second digital camera. I have several SLR's my first being an Olypmpus OM-1 which still takes some of the best photos imaginable. This new purchase being an Olypus is a coincidence. I also have a Nikon and a Canon SLR.

My (existing until this new one came) digital camera takes AA batteries. I had gotten so weary of changing out the batteries that when I was indoors I would use the AC power and an extension cord. But you go ahead...lol

I don't know what to go ahead with. That's why I'm asking for help and advice.

What battery option is the best?

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed