Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

[img_r]http://packershome.com/uploads/forums/legacy.jpg[/img_r]When backup wide receiver Bob Long (1964-67) went in to negotiate his contract with Lombardi for the 66 season it went like this:

I told him, Considering I only made ($11,500), I think I deserve a two thousand-dollar raise to thirteen-five. And this is his response, Well, Im gonna give you a one thousand-dollar raise. However, if you want a two thousand-dollar raise, I think New Orleans will pay it to you on Monday. In other words, if you dont accept, Im going to trade you on Monday. I said, Well, considering everything, I think Ill keep the one thousand. Thats how it was; thats how he negotiated.

Defensive end Willie Davis (1960-69) explained how he was able to squeeze some extra money out of Lombardi.

You know, you could hit that moment with him when you went silent and he went silent, said Davis. Its like, Whos going to speak next? Im checking the walls and finally, he said, Well, you probably want to get on the road back to Chicago.

Funny thing, and to this day I was proud that I formed those few words, explained Davis. I said, Right Coach, but you know, I was just thinking, the difference in my driving back to Chicago and wanting to stay on the right side of traffic, versus turning into oncoming traffic is the difference in that amount.

It was fifteen hundred bucks; and he looked at me and you could always see him reflect. He was one of the most interesting guys that Id ever been around. You could see him literally digesting things in his mind, and he sat there for a minute and he looked at me straight in the eye. He said, Willie, if the difference between you driving back to Chicago, getting ready to come back here to training camp versus wanting to turn into oncoming traffic is fifteen hundred dollars, you got it. Now get out of here. True story I walked out of there and I was feeling good.

Carroll Dale (1965-72) found Lombardi to be, shall we say, efficient during contract negotiation sessions. Well, they were pretty short, said Dale.

Lombardi was a devout Catholic with a knack for the unexpected. Dale recalls a surprising contract resolution where two Christians emerged as winners. One year, Coach Lombardi, being a very religious man, had to reach deep to try to give a little increase, so I told him I always tithe to my church. Green Bay wrote a check to my church for a certain amount; about 10 percent of my contract each year for several years. I got a little increase, but it didnt show up on my contract, see, so it helped him, helped me, too.

See, you didnt sign your contract. When you reached an agreement with Vince, you stood up, you shook hands with him and then you left, explained linebacker Dave Robinson (1963-72). Then later, in about a week or two hed put the contract in your locker, you were expected to sign it, get it back to him. But, he always told you when you got done, Your contract is the most private thing youre ever gonna get, no one needs to know whats in your contract. Dont talk about it. I thought he was joking, I said, Dont worry about it coach, Im as embarrassed about it as you are. He laughed. But no one talked about their contract.

I really need to get this book. I'm surprised I haven't already.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Imagine Vince negotiating like that today.

He would make most agents cry....but then they would just run to the media.

How many fines would Vince inncurr for smacking around camera men and reporters if they tried their bull----t on him?
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
gotarace
14 years ago
I'm not much of a book buyer but i think this book may make it under the tree as a gift to myself....
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
RaiderPride
14 years ago
I have it... But have not read it yet. I am finishing "Blink" first.

I flipped through it, it is really based on how he was a leader in the racial reform in the 60's.

Quote:

At one time, the Packer Executive Board seemed to have a problem with Lombardi selecting black players with high draft choices. Packers linebacker Dave Robinson (1963-72) explains how the issues were resolved.

He had drafted Herb Adderley for the first round in 61, then Earl Gros (white running back), then he had drafted me in 63, said Robinson. They called him in and said, Vince, youre wasting draft choices. You dont have to draft black guys in the first round; you did that two out of three years. Black guys are gonna be available on the third round.

Vince said, Im drafting football players, Im not drafting white or black, Im just drafting the best players out there. You guys run the business end of the thing, and Ill run the Green Bay Packer football operation.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
dfosterf
14 years ago
I asked this question in the chat, but I think it got missed.

My understanding was that there was going to be a free book signing sometime this week in the Atrium.

The signing might have passed, but I know some folk are heading to GB, so if someone local knows the answer...

I will definitely be getting this book. I have been enjoying the excerpts immensely.
IronMan
14 years ago

I asked this question in the chat, but I think it got missed.

My understanding was that there was going to be a free book signing sometime this week in the Atrium.

The signing might have passed, but I know some folk are heading to GB, so if someone local knows the answer...

I will definitely be getting this book. I have been enjoying the excerpts immensely.

"dfosterf" wrote:

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/12/02/5/ 

The Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Inc. will host a book signing for the new book, Lombardi Legacy, Sunday, Dec. 6, from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Hall of Fame. Book authors Dave Robinson, a Packers Hall of Fame member, and Royce Boyles will be on hand, as will Packers Hall of Fame wide receiver Boyd Dowler, former Packers wide receiver Bob Long, former Lombardi secretary Lori Keck, and Pat Cochran, widow of former Lombardi assistant coach Red Cochran.

Zero2Cool
14 years ago

How many fines would Vince inncurr for smacking around camera men and reporters if they tried their bull----t on him?

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

And people would rave about it. Yet, if Belichick does it, he's "evil hoody".
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

And people would rave about it. Yet, if Belichick does it, he's "evil hoody".

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

And every player would leave for greener pastures, I'm afraid.
dfosterf
14 years ago

And every player would leave for greener pastures. "I'm afraid."

"Rockmolder" wrote:

fixed your quote for you. lol
14 years ago
"If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm"

What a man.
UserPostedImage 
Zero2Cool is my captain.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.